The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 19, 2020, 12:19:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2020, 12:19:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Weight Lifting and Bodybuilding  (Read 11254 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 01, 2010, 03:14:51 pm »

Nothing to really quote here, just wanted to post my current workout plan!

Interesting...and very different from my regimen. While the exercises are pretty much the same as mine, the split and the number of sets is very different. What's your goal: to pack on muscle mass? To get ripped? And how do you space out your 5 workouts: over the course of the week, with the weekends off? Or some other scheme?

I find I do best with a 3-day split:
Day A: Legs and shoulders
Day B: Chest and triceps
Day C: Back and biceps

(Alternatively, to mix it up a bit, Day B sometimes is chest and back, and then Day C is all arms.)

Abs are every day (theoretically) at the beginning of the workout. I put legs in the first day of the rotation, so I'm fresh, since they take the most out of me. I put shoulders on that same day since a former Mr. Olympia, Chris Dickerson, told me never to do chest and shoulders on the same day, because you'll end up not working either to the max. (I figure, coming from a former Mr. O, it's good advice.) So Day A is the toughest, but then it gets easier.

My typical week:
Monday--A
Tuesday--B
Wednesday--running
Thursday--C
Friday--A
Saturday--running
Sunday--day off

So my routine isn't the same from week to week, but I'm fine with that; the next week I'll just start with B, etc.

The other big diff is rep scheme: I typically do 4 sets for any one exercise--sometimes 3, sometimes 5, but that's about it.

My goal is to add lean muscle mass, i.e. without excessive waistline growth. I eat 6 small meals a day, high in protein, moderate-low carbs and fat.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 01, 2010, 08:38:37 pm »

What's your goal: to pack on muscle mass? To get ripped? And how do you space out your 5 workouts: over the course of the week, with the weekends off? Or some other scheme?

The goal is to pack on the mass, while dropping the fat to get the ripped look.  My workouts are typically all 5 in a row with weekends off.  It is typical of me though to change it throughout the course of a week and actually do the workouts on a weekend.

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 02, 2010, 07:44:30 am »

The goal is to pack on the mass, while dropping the fat to get the ripped look. 

Is it working? It's typically difficult to pack on mass while simultaneously dropping fat weight to get ripped...but if it's working for you, then no one can argue with it.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. From your previous posts, I figured you alternated between bulking up and trimming down.

How long have you been doing this workout?

Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 02, 2010, 07:02:28 pm »

Is it working? It's typically difficult to pack on mass while simultaneously dropping fat weight to get ripped...but if it's working for you, then no one can argue with it.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. From your previous posts, I figured you alternated between bulking up and trimming down.

How long have you been doing this workout?

This process is working, but I do think I was not clear with my intention on this program.  You are correct that I do alternate between bulking and cutting phases.

The mass I have built in the past tends to slip a little when I go into my cut phase.  With this I am trying to get cut, but maintain the mass I have built.  I am my third week of this workout and so far the results are becoming evident.  I am managing to get cut, but I am not losing as much size as I have in previous cycles.

I hope this makes it a little clearer.

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 03, 2010, 06:56:58 pm »

I hope this makes it a little clearer.

It does. Keep me posted on the results, as I may want to copy your success.

I worked out at a new gym tonight (for variety), but now I'm thinking of joining, because they have trainers experienced in powerlifting. I've wanted to try that for quite some time now; I think it would be a great way to shake up my bodybuilding routine and to create a solid foundation for packing on additional muscle mass.

Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 04, 2010, 11:33:05 am »

It does. Keep me posted on the results, as I may want to copy your success.

I worked out at a new gym tonight (for variety), but now I'm thinking of joining, because they have trainers experienced in powerlifting. I've wanted to try that for quite some time now; I think it would be a great way to shake up my bodybuilding routine and to create a solid foundation for packing on additional muscle mass.

Powerlifting moves are a great way to build a solid foundation for bodybuilding.  The moves also can pack on the muscle mass too!!  Grin

Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 06, 2010, 03:02:39 pm »

I forgot to ask Altair, are you going to be doing the 4 main powerlift moves or a variation of them?

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 06, 2010, 05:12:33 pm »

I forgot to ask Altair, are you going to be doing the 4 main powerlift moves or a variation of them?

My knowledge of powerlifting at present is scant, but as I understand it, the main moves are bench press, deadlift, clean and jerk, and...?

Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 07, 2010, 12:43:59 am »

My knowledge of powerlifting at present is scant, but as I understand it, the main moves are bench press, deadlift, clean and jerk, and...?

The one that is hated by most, personally it is my favorite, the deadly Squat!  The clean and jerk really is a gray area in powerlifting as some do or do not recognize it.  Using the right amount of weight though it is an excellent conditioning tool and muscle builder.  Get into a good rhythm and it is almost a cardio workout.

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: February 07, 2010, 09:06:58 am »

The one that is hated by most, personally it is my favorite, the deadly Squat!

Of course; I think I must have subconsciously blocked that one. I don't do free weight squats, because I've got a lot in the ass dept. as it is, and if it gets any bigger, I'll throw off my symmetry. Instead I stick to hack squats performed on a Smith machine.

Not the same balls-to-the-wall, shock-your-whole-body effect, I'm sure, but regular squatting will make one's ass explode in size, so it's out for me. I do stiff-leg deadlifts to try to trigger whole-body stimulation.

Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: February 07, 2010, 11:47:26 am »

Of course; I think I must have subconsciously blocked that one. I don't do free weight squats, because I've got a lot in the ass dept. as it is, and if it gets any bigger, I'll throw off my symmetry. Instead I stick to hack squats performed on a Smith machine.

Not the same balls-to-the-wall, shock-your-whole-body effect, I'm sure, but regular squatting will make one's ass explode in size, so it's out for me. I do stiff-leg deadlifts to try to trigger whole-body stimulation.

I have never experienced that side affect of squatting before.  In fact my hind quarters disappear due to squatting.

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: February 08, 2010, 10:15:40 pm »

I have never experienced that side affect of squatting before.  In fact my hind quarters disappear due to squatting.

Google "squats" and "glutes" together and you'll see what I mean. But (pun intended) I can just say from experience that when I do regular squats--heck, when I do leg presses--my ass gets as much or more of a workout than my quads, judging by the soreness.

Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #27: February 09, 2010, 09:59:41 am »

Google "squats" and "glutes" together and you'll see what I mean. But (pun intended) I can just say from experience that when I do regular squats--heck, when I do leg presses--my ass gets as much or more of a workout than my quads, judging by the soreness.

Wow... that was kind of funny reading some of that stuff.  I can see why it would make the glutes bigger, however, if performed properly that muscle group should only play a secondary role in the lift process.  Most of what I read it seemed to say that it played a significant role in the lift, when it really should not.  The only time I feel anything in my glutes is when I lock out to stand straight up and perfrom a calf raise (yes I do this each rep). 

My body composition seems to be that my lower body (according to my training partner resembles tree trunks) will lose fat quicker than the rest and gain muscle quickly, so my hams and quads may be compensating for a balanced appearance. 

Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #28: February 15, 2010, 10:38:01 am »

These workouts are killing me!!  Only two full weeks into them and a weight loss of 9.7lbs has left me exhausted!  On the plus side I have not experienced the dramatic loss in size that I have in past attempts to lose the weight to get ripped.   

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: February 16, 2010, 02:30:19 pm »

These workouts are killing me!!  Only two full weeks into them and a weight loss of 9.7lbs has left me exhausted!  On the plus side I have not experienced the dramatic loss in size that I have in past attempts to lose the weight to get ripped.   

Okay, break it down for me: What are your workouts right now, and what are you eating?

(Because I've got 3 weeks to strip off excess pounds without losing the hard-earned muscle, and it sounds like this is working for you)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)