The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 24, 2021, 09:28:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 24, 2021, 09:28:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Children shows that you could live without  (Read 5426 times)
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 18, 2009, 09:45:36 am »

Are there any children shows that you just can't stand or wish they would go away?

I have a 2 year old son and he absolutely loves Max and Ruby. That show is so boring and uneducational that I wonder why they keep it around. My husbands also hates.

So how about you?

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: February 18, 2009, 09:57:26 am »

Are there any children shows that you just can't stand or wish they would go away?

I have an 18-month-old.  We limit her TV intake pretty severely, so fortunately we're able to subsist on one or two shows that we find bearable.  Smiley  (Dora, mostly, and occasionally Diego; I figure at least they're sort of interactive and educational shows.  They're maybe slightly above her age bracket, especially Diego, but she loves them both anyway.)

I will admit I've never been able to bring myself to watch a whole episode, but based on commercials and brief song segments I've seen, I would certainly not weep if Yo Gabba Gabba disappeared from the airwaves.  Fingernails.  Chalkboard.  It's nonsensical in the worst sense of the word. 

If we move up into a higher age bracket, SpongeBob has much the same effect on me.  (Well, slightly less intense, but very similar.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: February 18, 2009, 10:02:48 am »

I have a 2 year old son and he absolutely loves Max and Ruby. That show is so boring and uneducational that I wonder why they keep it around. My husbands also hates.

So how about you?

telletubbies.  I wince when my boy plays one of their computer games.  (he has fairly free run on PBS kids - and I KNOW if I say no to that, he'll just do it more!)

But my gods.  could you get any stupider without ACTUALLY having pools of brains leaking out ears?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 18, 2009, 01:54:34 pm »

So how about you?

I despise Max and Ruby.  It's so dumb and it teaches horrible habits.  My daughter picks up on the bitchiness of Ruby, and my son picks up on the one-word Max-speak and it's soooooo annoying.

Are the Doodlebops still around?  Those were completely outlawed in this house as soon as I saw the first episode.  Yo Gabba Gabba is really freaky, but it does put out good messages in simple ways that toddlers can grasp (which is why it's probably so annoying to adults).  Same with Barney - I hate it, but it's good stuff so I let the kids watch it.  I'm also not a big fan of the WonderPets, but I can tolerate them in small doses.  Fortunately, my kids find them just as boring as I do, so they hardly ever want to watch them.
Figment99
Master Member

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 18, 2009, 02:32:24 pm »

I have an 18-month-old.  We limit her TV intake pretty severely, so fortunately we're able to subsist on one or two shows that we find bearable.  Smiley  (Dora, mostly, and occasionally Diego; I figure at least they're sort of interactive and educational shows.  They're maybe slightly above her age bracket, especially Diego, but she loves them both anyway.)

I will admit I've never been able to bring myself to watch a whole episode, but based on commercials and brief song segments I've seen, I would certainly not weep if Yo Gabba Gabba disappeared from the airwaves.  Fingernails.  Chalkboard.  It's nonsensical in the worst sense of the word. 

If we move up into a higher age bracket, SpongeBob has much the same effect on me.  (Well, slightly less intense, but very similar.)
We limit my son's TV also, as well as our own. So fortunately, he doesn't watch Max and Ruby much there. But we let him pick out his own DVDs to watch on rainy days and since we live on the Gulf coast that is often. He also has 3 sets of grandparents that spend too much money on him.  My husbands keeps trying to misplace the 2 Max and Ruby DVDs he does have, but its no good, he is smart and finds them.

My husband and I have watched Yo Gabba Gabba. It does have simple and good messages, but it is weird and some what unsettling.

Sponge Bob isn't too bad, and I think I have seen every single episode over the years. I do think it is just entertainment though, I don't see any educational value in the show.

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #5: February 18, 2009, 03:43:59 pm »

Sponge Bob isn't too bad, and I think I have seen every single episode over the years. I do think it is just entertainment though, I don't see any educational value in the show.

*stands up*
Hi,
I'm Tana and I love watching Spongebob!

Grin Grin Grin

Laugh at me if you will, but the TV programm is so poor, I watch a lot of children's TV or Nick when I want something to relax.
(Without being pestered by news about so-called celebreties I don't give a **** about.)

If an adult can't stand five minutes of a children's show it's either because the show is for very small children or it is so terrible (like in Teletubbies terrible *shudders*)

I'm so glad I don't have children I need to protect from the TV! It's hard nowadays.

When I was a child we had three (yup 3) TV channels and they only started about 4 in the afternoon and ended at 1 in the night.
Except sundays. Then there were 2 or 3 shows for children, one the Show with the Mouse - very cute and something a lot of adults still like to watch. They explain the world there  Cheesy and then something like 'Lassie' or 'Black Beauty'.

After that you just would go out and play.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 18, 2009, 09:10:02 pm »

When I was a child we had three (yup 3) TV channels and they only started about 4 in the afternoon and ended at 1 in the night.
Except sundays. Then there were 2 or 3 shows for children, one the Show with the Mouse - very cute and something a lot of adults still like to watch. They explain the world there  Cheesy and then something like 'Lassie' or 'Black Beauty'.

After that you just would go out and play.

I love Spongebob too.  And so do all of my kids, and I let them watch it and I know it's senseless and probably pickling their small minds, but it's funny!

I've recently discovered Tom and Jerry, which was a cartoon I used to watch all the time and my kids LOVE it!  They'll pick that as their allotted show every time if it's on.  I would never have thought a silly cartoon about a cat and mouse with only music as the sound (no voices) would get their attention, but I guess the oldies are still the goodies!
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 19, 2009, 02:09:32 am »

So how about you?

Really anything made these days. I have not found a kid's show to be mildly amusing in years. And I'm 18. And I enjoy watching Power Rangers! *

Especially anything coming out of Disney's stables. Just watch their karaoke stuff and you'll see what I mean about it all being the same. The girls all have the same high pitched voice and switching between innocent love songs and -trying- to sound mature "I'm so bad" songs. Ugh it makes me want to wash out my brain with bleach! I don't understand how this stuff is considered educational or entertaining! I also completely lost respect for most of them when I think it was Ally and AJ's album came out and one of the "achievements" was that they co-wrote at least half the songs. Say what? How is that an achievement? I really think its more them acting as singers rather than singers who act.

Not to mention the shows based on these singers. I mean all the boys do boy-sy stuff like football and the like, think girls are strange and have cooties, and all the girls spazz about fashion and hair products and oh my god if I do NOT find something for the dance this friday my life is RUINED!

Undecided

What happened to Sesame Street? Power Rangers? TMNT? Boy Meets World? Doug? Hey Arnold? Inspector Gadget? Full House? Captain Planet? Rescue Rangers?

Heck, even when I was little I watched The Crosby Show and the like.

.. Sorry for rambling. I have some issues. with today's programming  Embarrassed  Lips sealed

* Although with Power Rangers I think the one thing that really killed the franchise was that they had one good season where they made it more mature, and then went back to the kiddy stuff with crappy animations that no one wants to watch anymore because WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO UPGRADE! *flails* Oh I miss watching that show. But it is really hard to make it worth the while.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: February 19, 2009, 07:29:44 am »

What happened to Sesame Street? Power Rangers? TMNT? Boy Meets World? Doug? Hey Arnold? Inspector Gadget? Full House? Captain Planet? Rescue Rangers?

Maybe you would like this listverse list as much as I do.  There is one that I disagree with being up here and another I haven't seen, but nonetheless it was a nice stroll down memory lane:

http://listverse.com/entertainment/top-10-most-popular-90s-cartoons/

* Although with Power Rangers I think the one thing that really killed the franchise was that they had one good season where they made it more mature, and then went back to the kiddy stuff with crappy animations that no one wants to watch anymore because WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO UPGRADE! *flails* Oh I miss watching that show. But it is really hard to make it worth the while.

I watched that show off and on in elementary school but stopped for some reason during the fourth or fifth grade.  Good thing I stopped before it became crappy Cheesy

And I couldn't agree with you more about the Disney monstrosities.  The same applies to most of the shows on the CW (and its predecessors, the WB and UPN) and all of ABC Family's original programing (though, since ABC is owned by Disney mentioning this station is probably redundant).  Granted these shows seem more geared for teens than small children, but to me they're all the same Undecided

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: February 19, 2009, 07:41:03 am »

Sesame Street is still around and, to the best of my knowledge, producing new episodes.  The show has evolved somewhat as times have changed, but I've caught a few episodes over the past year or so and it's still pretty good IMO.  The only reason we don't watch it more with my daughter is that it's an hour long, which is a little long just at the moment.  (But she's only 18 months; she's got plenty of time for Sesame Street later.  Wink )

TMNT has been resurrected (on Fox, I think?) and it's different from the original, but still not too bad from what I've seen.  I was skeptical about it, but pleasantly surprised.

I do miss a lot of the rest of the shows you list, though.  (Although I could do without ever seeing another episode of Power Rangers or Full House ever again.  The former I just never liked; the latter, my brother used to watch literally four episodes a day every single weekday after school and I just waaaaaay OD'd on it.  *shudder*)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 19, 2009, 08:40:06 am »

Ya, I too take issue with Disney programs...maybe it's because I'm a cynical S.O.B but watching Disney shows is like trying to mainline pure saccharine. Mostly it tries to enforce stupid gender roles, boys are burly and tough (or if they are singers they are really really really gay but they honestly like women...really) and the females care about what their "tiny female brains" can handle, make up and shopping.

Now then, a children show I've had to watch when one of my cousins is over is Oobi, if you haven't watched it consider yourself lucky. It's about hand puppets that are the dumbest thing ever...seriously your brain begins to rot.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 19, 2009, 09:10:07 am »

(Dora, mostly, and occasionally Diego; I figure at least they're sort of interactive and educational shows.  They're maybe slightly above her age bracket, especially Diego, but she loves them both anyway.)

Dora. Must. Die.

She's so LOUD and ENTHUSIASTIC!  Lips sealed

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 19, 2009, 09:42:49 am »

Hooray for Doug and Hey Arnold!  Did you ever watch 'The Angry Beavers'?  I don't think it was educational, but it sure was entertaining.

The thing I've noticed with cartoons nowdays is that they all seem to be drawn in anime style.  Which is fine if it's actual anime, but do all the cartoons have to look like that?  I saw an anime Scooby-Doo, and my brain exploded.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #13: February 19, 2009, 09:50:03 am »

Dora. Must. Die.

She's so LOUD and ENTHUSIASTIC!  Lips sealed

I actually don't mind Dora half as much as I thought I might, but then I've noticed that I have a higher tolerance for toddler-oriented things (including high-energy things/characters like Dora) since my daughter came along.  I suspect it's some sort of defense mechanism.  Either that, or I'm becoming more insane (again).  Wink

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Figment99
Master Member

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 19, 2009, 03:21:44 pm »

Sesame Street is still around and, to the best of my knowledge, producing new episodes.  The show has evolved somewhat as times have changed, but I've caught a few episodes over the past year or so and it's still pretty good IMO.  The only reason we don't watch it more with my daughter is that it's an hour long, which is a little long just at the moment.  (But she's only 18 months; she's got plenty of time for Sesame Street later.  Wink )

My son loves Sesame Street and we have no problems with him watching it. He actually got a Sesame Street DVD for Valentine's Day this year and has pretty much watched it everyday, it isn't a long DVD though... less than an hour.

Hooray for Doug and Hey Arnold!  Did you ever watch 'The Angry Beavers'?  I don't think it was educational, but it sure was entertaining.

The thing I've noticed with cartoons nowdays is that they all seem to be drawn in anime style.  Which is fine if it's actual anime, but do all the cartoons have to look like that?  I saw an anime Scooby-Doo, and my brain exploded.
I do miss 'The Angry Beavers' and I did watch Doug when it was on, but it wasn't one of my favorites.
I actually don't mind the new Scooby Doos, but the animation for the new Transformers cartoon sometimes drives me nuts.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)