The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 20, 2022, 07:10:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2022, 07:10:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brighid as a Goddess of Divination  (Read 7663 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: February 27, 2009, 10:51:43 pm »

I've read in various sources that Brighid is associated (by some, anyway  Undecided ) with divination.  My assumption is that this association is related to Her connection to poetry and wisdom.

I'm wondering how others feel about this idea, especially those who have a connection of some kind with Brighid.  Do you have any experience with Brighid and divination?  Any feelings of whether Brighid gets involved in or encourages divination?  Any particular kind of divination?  Any feelings about whether this association is correct or just another example of poor research allowing people to glom whatever they want onto Brighid's image?

(We might have discussed this at some time in the past, but I can't find a thread.)

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 30, 2021, 05:21:06 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 28, 2009, 09:01:25 am »

I'm wondering how others feel about this idea, especially those who have a connection of some kind with Brighid.  Do you have any experience with Brighid and divination?  Any feelings of whether Brighid gets involved in or encourages divination?  Any particular kind of divination?  Any feelings about whether this association is correct or just another example of poor research allowing people to glom whatever they want onto Brighid's image?
She doesn't (or I'm not aware of it if she does) involve herself in my divination.  This could well be for no more reason than others among those I work with being more associated with the art, or even just because I've never asked her to.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 28, 2009, 09:03:33 am »

She doesn't (or I'm not aware of it if she does) involve herself in my divination.  This could well be for no more reason than others among those I work with being more associated with the art, or even just because I've never asked her to.

Sunflower

I've had the same experience, or lack thereof.  She's never really seemed interested in my divination.  My writing, that's another story.

Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 28, 2009, 10:18:39 pm »

I've read in various sources that Brighid is associated (by some, anyway  Undecided ) with divination.  My assumption is that this association is related to Her connection to poetry and wisdom.

I've never got that feeling from Her, but I could see the connection if we were speaking of something like scrying in a well.  I suppose that would be more circumstantial than anything else.

*Síocháin*
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: February 28, 2009, 10:24:26 pm »

I think I remember seeing this association somewhere, though I can't remember whom exactly said so.

As far as I can tell, Brighid doesn't directly do anything in my own divination work--when I do divination, the communication I receive from it seems to have its source in energies or currents that are... to the left of Brighid. What I mean is, those currents run different courses than Brighid's communication with me--parallel courses, perhaps, but different.

However, I have found that sometimes when I ask for her aid in clarity of reading my ogam feda, I find things to be more relaxed and generally more obvious. Then again, I feel like ogam is the one divination that I've really connected with and have really "gotten", even after all these years of trying to read tarot.

But Brighid's role, in my work, is in the interpretation, in what may even be the poetry or meaning of the reading, rather than the manipulation/interaction with/encouragement of the actual divination. She help me I ask for clarity or eloquence in understanding anything I'm reading or what I'm trying to write.

Though, I must admit, I can't help but wonder if she's asking Ogma to help out a little with all of the above...  Undecided

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 28, 2009, 11:45:48 pm »

In my own experience, she has never really shown up or been interested in any of my divination work. I have also read though that she is sometimes associated with it, like you have, but looking at the myths and stories about her, I can't see where it comes from.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 01, 2009, 12:51:28 am »

I have also read though that she is sometimes associated with it, like you have, but looking at the myths and stories about her, I can't see where it comes from.

I *think* it might come from the idea that "seeing" is a type of wisdom, and the concept of "wisdom" is tied up with the Celtic understanding of poets and poetry.  But that's just my conjecture.

Follow-up question for whoever wants to answer:  If Brighid is not a "patron" of your divination, have you found that She speaks to you through your divination?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 01, 2009, 08:48:44 am »

Follow-up question for whoever wants to answer:  If Brighid is not a "patron" of your divination, have you found that She speaks to you through your divination?

Yes, definitely--usually in a more subtle way than when she speaks to me directly. But most of the time I ask Her directly anyway to see what she means, and double check that I'm reading things correctly.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 03, 2009, 08:20:03 pm »

I'm wondering how others feel about this idea, especially those who have a connection of some kind with Brighid. 

I'm not really feeling her as a divination deity. For the Irish, that would probably be Ogma. I read Tarot cards... I don't sense any disapproval from Her, but it seems to be something she doesn't really want to get involved with, with me. She and I connect on a writing and an herbalism level.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: March 03, 2009, 10:39:13 pm »

I'm not really feeling her as a divination deity. For the Irish, that would probably be Ogma. I read Tarot cards... I don't sense any disapproval from Her, but it seems to be something she doesn't really want to get involved with, with me.

It's interesting that so many people (here, anyway) don't sense Brighid's involvement in their divination.  I wonder where the idea came from originally.  Somebody's UPG, I'm sure, but I've seen it multiple times.

Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 03, 2009, 10:54:19 pm »

It's interesting that so many people (here, anyway) don't sense Brighid's involvement in their divination.  I wonder where the idea came from originally.  Somebody's UPG, I'm sure, but I've seen it multiple times.

Maybe it's because most people use methods like tarot cards and runes which are not Irish?  Perhaps the feeling would be more predominate with bird aurgary (sp? Yikes!), Ogham (which is more for the Creator than She), or perhaps water scrying (I don't know it's origin, but it may be adapted by the Irish)?  I don't know.  I really don't think She would be interested in Divination.  She's more interested in Her specific areas, I think.  Do I dare speak for a Goddess?  Smiley

*Síocháin*
Áine
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 03, 2009, 10:55:19 pm »

Maybe it's because most people use methods like tarot cards and runes which are not Irish? 

I don't think She would object to aiding someone in fire scrying, though.

*Síocháin*
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: March 03, 2009, 11:14:06 pm »

I really don't think She would be interested in Divination.  She's more interested in Her specific areas, I think.

I have a somewhat different opinion.  I *think* divination could easily fall under Brighid's purview as an aspect of "poetry".  That requires a definition of "poetry" that is broader than simply written or spoken poems/stories.  I think (and, again, this is just my meanderings and UPG) that a traditionally Celtic take on "poetry" would include the general areas of wisdom and learning, and "wisdom/learning" would include understandings gained through divination.

But I'll be the first to admit that I tend to see Brighid's areas of influence more broadly than others might.   Cheesy 

And, in addition, one of the reasons I asked the question in the first place is because I'm feeling a pull towards working with a couple of divination methods again.  I'm pretty sure that's coming from Her.  Of course, that in itself doesn't mean Brighid is especially involved in divination, in general.  It could well be just a "me" thing.

Which raises another question for me:  Do you (the general you, for anyone who wants to answer) see divination as a type of magic?  Or as something else?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #13: March 03, 2009, 11:38:48 pm »

Which raises another question for me:  Do you (the general you, for anyone who wants to answer) see divination as a type of magic?  Or as something else?

I sometimes use my cards for magic, but it's not divination anymore.  Deliberately picking cards and spread to describe what it is I want is an attempt to cause, rather than predict.

It works, mind.  It's just not divination any more.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #14: March 04, 2009, 05:02:52 pm »

It works, mind.  It's just not divination any more.

Mmh, well, don't know.
When time is not linear...it could be a kind of a backward divination.
'Where the future has been and the unknown is seen'
Who knows. But such ponderings include a lot of aspirin.  Cheesy

(I know my mind is getting into the strange places again. 'You! Heel! Back here, at once!'  Grin )

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)