The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 05, 2020, 06:45:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2020, 06:45:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Habondia  (Read 9644 times)
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 03, 2009, 12:28:30 am »

I'm considering a Celtic path, and one of the goddesses that I feel I want to honor is Habondia... unfortunately I can't find much about her. Most simply say basically that she was the goddess of the hearth, but eventually became "absorbed" by Brigid. And that's it.

Brigid is a goddess I'm wanting to honor, but *separately* from Habondia. Any good sources for getting to know her a bit, finding out more about her?

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Collinsky
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 03, 2009, 12:40:01 am »

Goodness, now I'm seeing that she's a  goddess of the harvest, and possibly not Irish at all. It is apparent I need some direction at this point!

~*~Colleen~*~
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Collinsky
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 03, 2009, 12:54:25 am »

Goodness, now I'm seeing that she's a  goddess of the harvest, and possibly not Irish at all. It is apparent I need some direction at this point!

Okay, I found more reliable info about her. Not Celtic in origin at all... a very interesting goddess, but it's pure fabrication on the part of the sites that were saying she was Irish. And she's associated with very meaningful, important things that might be of interest to me, but NOT the hearth. Except in the mind of one person who apparently was convincing enough to be quoted by others, despite being incorrect.

At any rate, I feel that it's quite important to honor a hearth/home goddess. Is that only Brigid, or is there another Gaelic goddess who is in that role?

~*~Colleen~*~
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 03, 2009, 01:03:22 am »

Okay, I found more reliable info about her. Not Celtic in origin at all... a very interesting goddess, but it's pure fabrication on the part of the sites that were saying she was Irish. And she's associated with very meaningful, important things that might be of interest to me, but NOT the hearth. Except in the mind of one person who apparently was convincing enough to be quoted by others, despite being incorrect.

At any rate, I feel that it's quite important to honor a hearth/home goddess. Is that only Brigid, or is there another Gaelic goddess who is in that role?

Well, there is Hestia, which I wonder if the website you got your original information might have gotten Habondia mixed up with this Greek goddess, or her Roman "counterpart" Vesta.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 03, 2009, 10:02:59 am »

Perhaps Matres, she is actually a Gaulish/Roman goddess of the home and family, actually Matres is more than one goddess, she is a group of three. I have worked with them for a while now and I really like it. Here is a site with a little more info if you are interested:

http://www.livius.org/man-md/matronae/matronae.html

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Seren
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2014, 04:19:00 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Gaelic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 03, 2009, 11:29:27 am »

I've seen her described as Anglo-Saxon in some places, but it seems she's more likely coming from Classical sources. Habondia certainly doesn't look Irish or A-S, but it does seem to relate to the root word for abundance. This site:

http://users.erols.com/jesterbear/notes/abc.html

Says she's medieval in origin, based on the Roman goddess Abundantia, which makes sense.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 03, 2009, 12:07:29 pm »

I think it depends on what you mean by "hearth/home" goddess. 

Most -- possibly all -- of the Celtic goddesses were tutelary goddesses of specific tribes.  So, in that sense most of them have a "home" focus, since they were intimately involved in bestowing sovereignty on the incoming tribal king.  Many of the goddesses also have fertility functions (for both crops and children), which could be a "home" thing. 

If by "hearth" you mean associated with fire, there are a number of those too, with a lot of overlap with other areas of specialty.

Also, are you looking for a goddess from a particular geographic area?

Your answers will help narrow down your search.  In the meantime, though, you might check out Rosmerta and Nantosuelta.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Collinsky
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 03, 2009, 01:22:53 pm »

I think it depends on what you mean by "hearth/home" goddess. 

Most -- possibly all -- of the Celtic goddesses were tutelary goddesses of specific tribes.  So, in that sense most of them have a "home" focus, since they were intimately involved in bestowing sovereignty on the incoming tribal king.  Many of the goddesses also have fertility functions (for both crops and children), which could be a "home" thing. 

This is very useful for me, thank you! Probably why there are so many Celtic goddesses referred to as a "mother goddess," is that right?

If by "hearth" you mean associated with fire, there are a number of those too, with a lot of overlap with other areas of specialty.

I more meant hearth as in the symbolic (and literal) center of the home and family. Hestia is a good example, although not from the pantheon I'm focusing on at this time. 

Also, are you looking for a goddess from a particular geographic area?

Specifically Irish/Gaelic, although I'm open to any Celtic goddess.

~*~Colleen~*~
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: March 03, 2009, 02:57:13 pm »

This is very useful for me, thank you! Probably why there are so many Celtic goddesses referred to as a "mother goddess," is that right?

Could be.  We know so little about the Celts and their religious beliefs.  In the absence of inscriptions on statues or commentary from contemporaries, it's all basically educated guesses.  The mother goddess idea could simply be shorthand for "goddess of fertility, food, tribe, keeping us safe, etc."  It seems pretty obvious that an Iron or Bronze Age culture would be focused on the various aspects of fertility, since that is central to survival.

OTOH, the mother goddess model could also be related to Gimbuta's discredited "Great Universal Mother" idea.  This is the idea that all ancient cultures worshiped basically the same over-arching GREAT MOTHER, which, in turn, produced societies that were matriarchal and therefore free of violence.  This idea also leads to labeling any female-shaped figurine as a goddess, when we really don't have much of a clue if that was true.  Those figurines could just as well have been Iron Age Barbie dolls or unflattering snapshots of someone's mother-in-law.   Wink

Either way, there are Celtic goddesses who are described in the more reliable literature specifically as "mother goddesses", although their names mostly have not survived, and there are goddesses who are described in other ways.  F'ex, Brighid is not *usually* described as a mother goddess.  In fact, there is significant confusion in the literature about whether She had children and how many.  However, She does have fertility associations, and *Saint* Brigid is associated with foster mothering and easing childbirth, even though she was described as a virgin.  (Interestingly, I've also seen an interpretation that suggested Saint Brigid was a lesbian.)  (And now that I've said that, I bet someone will want the citation. Tongue )

I more meant hearth as in the symbolic (and literal) center of the home and family. Hestia is a good example, although not from the pantheon I'm focusing on at this time. 

I'll try to go through my books to see if I can turn up goddesses specifically linked to hearth and home.  In the meantime, look at Rosmerta (http://www.pantheon.org/articles/r/rosmerta.html) and Nantosuelta (http://www.pantheon.org/articles/n/nantosuelta.html).  These links have only very basic info, but it either rings a bell for you, you can pursue it and I can also look it up for you or give you cites to relevant books.

Specifically Irish/Gaelic, although I'm open to any Celtic goddess.

The word "Gael" can cause some confusion.  In the academic Celtic literature, as I understand it, "Gael" usually refers specifically to the group of people descended from the Sons of Mil, who emigrated to Ireland from the Iberian peninsula.  This is the group that became dominant in Ireland after they defeated the Tuatha De Danann.

The modern, non-academic use of "Gael", OTOH, is usually something like "people who speak Gaelic; primarily people in Ireland, Scotland, and the Isle of Man" or a similar variation.

Which way are you using it?  That would make a difference in the geographic area you're interested in.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Collinsky
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 03, 2009, 03:26:30 pm »

I'll try to go through my books to see if I can turn up goddesses specifically linked to hearth and home.  In the meantime, look at Rosmerta (http://www.pantheon.org/articles/r/rosmerta.html) and Nantosuelta (http://www.pantheon.org/articles/n/nantosuelta.html).  These links have only very basic info, but it either rings a bell for you, you can pursue it and I can also look it up for you or give you cites to relevant books.

Thanks, doing that right now!! Rosmerta seems interesting, and Nantosuelta definitely as well... both Gaulish of course.  I've been relatively AGAOG (all gods are one god) in my beliefs and I'm exploring alternative theologies now; I wanted very much to respect the individuality of the deities in their separate pantheons... However, my ancestry is from continental Europe as well as the isles, so I imagine I could extend my focus to include that pantheon as well. It may simply be what is right for me.

The modern, non-academic use of "Gael", OTOH, is usually something like "people who speak Gaelic; primarily people in Ireland, Scotland, and the Isle of Man" or a similar variation.

Which way are you using it?  That would make a difference in the geographic area you're interested in.

By Gaelic, I'm meaning this second way; the Goidelic/Q-Celtic sense.

~*~Colleen~*~

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.