The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 20, 2022, 06:29:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2022, 06:29:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wondering what people do on shifts  (Read 11004 times)
Sylvan
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2011, 08:37:24 am
United States United States

Religion: Currently reevaluating

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 06, 2009, 07:15:47 pm »

I'm adding you to the 18th shift (with Thistle).  That means that, if you want to start pretty much right away, you'll have a shift coming up on Tuesday.  (Don't forget that your shift runs from sundown on the day listed on the roster/calendar, to sundown the next day.)  I mention that here because I won't do a re-post of this cycle's roster since we're already two-thirds of the way through it.  I will do a re-post of the roster I posted last night, for next cycle, to include you, though.

Sunflower

Wonderful, thank you very much.  And I'll go ahead and start this Tuesday.  I spent some time yesterday getting an altar ready so I'm prepared for my first shift.

Also, out of curiosity, I've been looking at previous posts about how people do various things during their shifts.  I know what I plan to do personally during my shift, but do people often post here while they're flamekeeping?  And is their anything involved in sharing a day with another person or does it simply mean you're scheduled for that same day?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 30, 2021, 05:21:06 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 07, 2009, 01:11:48 am »

Also, out of curiosity, I've been looking at previous posts about how people do various things during their shifts.  I know what I plan to do personally during my shift, but do people often post here while they're flamekeeping?  And is their anything involved in sharing a day with another person or does it simply mean you're scheduled for that same day?
I've split this off into its own thread, so it doesn't confuse the membership requests thread.

Just very quickly addressing your last question, it just means you both keep shift that day.

I'll add a longer reply later, hopefully in the morning.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 07, 2009, 02:08:22 am »

First, welcome to the TC Cill!

From your question, it sounds like you've already discovered the Cill's thread on shift experiences.  I've posted several times about some of my own shift activities, so you'll see my posts in those threads.  In a nutshell, I *try* to spend at least a good chunk of my shift either reading/researching more about Celtic history, mythology, etc., or working on something that Brighid has requested or something that falls within Her area of influence.

I have tons of books on related topics, and I'm working my way through them.  I have a lot of trouble reading now, though, because I'm still recovering from an accident a few months ago. which caused a pretty bad concussion.  So, I don't do nearly as much reading as I'm used to doing. 

I've been looking for something artistic I could work on during my shifts, and I'm so not an artist, so I recently renewed my acquaintance with needlework embroidery.  I learned how to do that when I was little (for a Girl Scout badge  Cool ), and I haven't done any for decades.  I'm starting with a super-simple little kit, and, if that goes well, I'll get more ambitious.  I'm hoping to eventually embroider some more practical things, like a runner for my Brighid shelf, a pouch for my ogam stones, etc.

I think pretty much any creative endeavor would be appropriate for shift work.  F'ex, I do lighting design for a youth dance company, and I dedicate that work to Brighid, especially when the performances fall on my shift.  I'm also planning to use shift time to work on learning a new divination technique.

To me, the most important aspect of my shifts is staying mindful that it's my shift and that I have responsibilities to Brighid and to my Cill-mates.  To help me with that, I have a few different pieces of jewelry I can wear to help remind me (e.g., a brass bracelet with a sun pattern, sunstone bead earrings, a triskele pendant set with a citrine).

The point is to set aside time to be with Brighid, in whatever way works best for you.  Sometimes, for me, that means inviting Her into my dreams while I nap.   Wink

I hope that made some sense.  If it didn't, let me know and I'll try again.   Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 30, 2021, 05:21:06 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 07, 2009, 09:46:25 am »

The promised longer reply:

Also, out of curiosity, I've been looking at previous posts about how people do various things during their shifts.  I know what I plan to do personally during my shift, but do people often post here while they're flamekeeping?
It's pretty open - if it suits you to post about your shift while it's happening, please do; if it works better to post afterward, that's fine too; and if you find you don't have anything particular to post about it, that's equally fine.

Insofar as there's any sort of pattern, posting about one's shift seems to be more common when people are new to it.  It might be just that one's first shift is more unique than one's thirty-first shift, but I think it's also something that helps people get into "shift mode".

While I personally don't do a lot of posting about how my shift is going or has gone, I'm often on TC and posting in general during my shift - Brigid's definition of "creative work", suitable to be done in her honor, seems to be, for me at least, quite broad, and she made it clear quite early that my overall participation in TC was very suitable and sufficiently creative in nature.  And since I became one of the Cill's moderators, I've found that Brigid expects me to spend some portion of my shift on "Cill housework", keeping our virtual home tidy - that's useful for staying on track with things that need to be done regularly like the shift roster, and gives me a definite time for catching up on things that are less regular.

And is their anything involved in sharing a day with another person or does it simply mean you're scheduled for that same day?
To expand on my earlier answer, the sharing of days is simply a side effect of having more than nineteen people in the Cill.  There's no reason I can think of why those who share a shift can't in some way coordinate their shift activities, though AFAIR it's never come up, at least not as a discussion in the threads - except that just now we have a number of people listed as Cill members that haven't been around TC in a while.  We're in the process of contacting these people to make sure they're still involved, but in the meantime, I'm placing new members on shifts where we haven't yet heard back from the person already on that shift.  (That doesn't mean they've left us; we've already had several responses from people who haven't been able to be online very much but who are still keeping their shifts - but it does mean it might not be possible to contact the person you share a shift with to plan joint shift activities.)

Which may be a more extensive answer than you were looking for at this point, but I thought the idea of joint activities was one that might be of interest to the Cill in general.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 07, 2009, 02:04:09 pm »

Wonderful, thank you very much.  And I'll go ahead and start this Tuesday.  I spent some time yesterday getting an altar ready so I'm prepared for my first shift.

During my shifts, I try to make sure I do at least so reading or research on Celtic culture or spirituality, for example my last shift I read the second battle of Mag Turied, which is an interesting read even though my focus isn't on Ireland.

I also pay attention to see if I am being shown a message by my everyday activities. Almost every shift I have had since I started as be about me being more forceful and independent, and making sure I have time for myself and well as for my family... balance.

Sometimes I express my more crafty side and I knit or crochet (not very good at the crochet, but I am learning), work with wood, even redecorate the house. I also like to work on learning more about herbalism and gardening, which works out will for the shifts since Brighid is known as a healer.

Really you can do just about anything, as long as you feel like you are making a connection during your shift, I really don't think it matters. Smiley

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Sylvan
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 07, 2009, 03:00:27 pm »

I've split this off into its own thread, so it doesn't confuse the membership requests thread.

Just very quickly addressing your last question, it just means you both keep shift that day.

I'll add a longer reply later, hopefully in the morning.

Sunflower

Okay, thank you very much.  I wasn't sure if the membership thread was the place to ask about this or not....
Sylvan
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 07, 2009, 03:16:34 pm »

First, welcome to the TC Cill!

From your question, it sounds like you've already discovered the Cill's thread on shift experiences.  I've posted several times about some of my own shift activities, so you'll see my posts in those threads.  In a nutshell, I *try* to spend at least a good chunk of my shift either reading/researching more about Celtic history, mythology, etc., or working on something that Brighid has requested or something that falls within Her area of influence.

Thank you for the welcome!  I read some of your posts in the thread about shift experiences.  I've been planning to do something similar to what you describe above - focusing to some extent on study.  I really need to catch up on my reading of Celtic mythology.  I'm in grad school right now so it's hard to find time for pleasure reading.  I think that joining the Cill will be good for me in terms of helping me to organize my time.  If I don't organize my time things tend to go undone....

I've been looking for something artistic I could work on during my shifts, and I'm so not an artist, so I recently renewed my acquaintance with needlework embroidery.  I learned how to do that when I was little (for a Girl Scout badge  Cool ), and I haven't done any for decades.  I'm starting with a super-simple little kit, and, if that goes well, I'll get more ambitious.  I'm hoping to eventually embroider some more practical things, like a runner for my Brighid shelf, a pouch for my ogam stones, etc.

I'm not an artist either.  But I do enjoy writing poetry and songs.  So I'm hoping to bring that into my shifts as well.  I haven't written anything much in around four years and had been meaning to get back into it.  Brighid's association with poetry is one of the things that attracted me to flamekeeping.

To me, the most important aspect of my shifts is staying mindful that it's my shift and that I have responsibilities to Brighid and to my Cill-mates.  To help me with that, I have a few different pieces of jewelry I can wear to help remind me (e.g., a brass bracelet with a sun pattern, sunstone bead earrings, a triskele pendant set with a citrine).

I have a triquerta pendant that I wear a lot.  In the past I've usually viewed it as symbolic of the Celtic worldview of Land, Sea, and Sky.  Do you know if it has been specifically associated with Brighid in the past?  I've read varying accounts on this subject.

I hope that made some sense.  If it didn't, let me know and I'll try again.   Cheesy

Yes, it made perfect sense.  And your post helped me to decide on some things for my first shift.  Thank you!
Sylvan
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 07, 2009, 03:44:11 pm »

Insofar as there's any sort of pattern, posting about one's shift seems to be more common when people are new to it.  It might be just that one's first shift is more unique than one's thirty-first shift, but I think it's also something that helps people get into "shift mode".
I can definitely see where this would be the case.  Since I'm new, learning as much as possible about what others do during their shifts will be very helpful.  I haven't done a lot of work with Brighid in the past but I've found myself becoming increasingly interested in her.  I've spent the past six months or so looking at different traditions and paths and TC has been a major asset in that process.  Now that I'm settling into a Celtic oriented practice (with likely plans to join ADF) I thought that flamekeeping would be a great way to set aside time for personal, spiritual work.

While I personally don't do a lot of posting about how my shift is going or has gone, I'm often on TC and posting in general during my shift - Brigid's definition of "creative work", suitable to be done in her honor, seems to be, for me at least, quite broad, and she made it clear quite early that my overall participation in TC was very suitable and sufficiently creative in nature.  And since I became one of the Cill's moderators, I've found that Brigid expects me to spend some portion of my shift on "Cill housework", keeping our virtual home tidy - that's useful for staying on track with things that need to be done regularly like the shift roster, and gives me a definite time for catching up on things that are less regular.
It's interesting that you mentioned this.  I've wanted to become more active on TC myself, in terms of posting more often.  My problem is that I can spend plenty of time reading threads without thinking of much to say in response!   Cheesy  So, I'm hoping that joining the Cill will help me engage more with what's going on in the forums.  I'm a solitary but I like the idea of having some connection to a broader community; it may be that I'll feel more connected now that I'm part of a scheduled activity.  Things tend to work out better for me when there's some kind of structure on my end.

Which may be a more extensive answer than you were looking for at this point, but I thought the idea of joint activities was one that might be of interest to the Cill in general.
Taking into account that I haven't done my first shift yet, the thought of joint activities does interest me at this point.  When I saw that folks were sharing shifts I thought that it might be worthwhile to consider something of that nature, if/when it's practical for people.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: March 08, 2009, 12:43:31 am »

I have a triquerta pendant that I wear a lot.  In the past I've usually viewed it as symbolic of the Celtic worldview of Land, Sea, and Sky.  Do you know if it has been specifically associated with Brighid in the past?  I've read varying accounts on this subject.

My understanding of the triquetra is that it was NOT found in Ireland prior to Christianization.  IIRC, the triquetra is associated with the Christian concept of the Holy Trinity, and is first seen in illuminated manuscripts as a design used to fill empty triangular spaces.  It has since become associated with Celtic culture.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember where I've read that.  I'll try to find the reference if you need it.

I have never seen it associated with Brighid.  Her most recognizable symbol is the Brighid's cross, of course, which is thought to be a solar symbol.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Sylvan
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 08, 2009, 11:00:56 am »

My understanding of the triquetra is that it was NOT found in Ireland prior to Christianization.  IIRC, the triquetra is associated with the Christian concept of the Holy Trinity, and is first seen in illuminated manuscripts as a design used to fill empty triangular spaces.  It has since become associated with Celtic culture.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember where I've read that.  I'll try to find the reference if you need it.

I have never seen it associated with Brighid.  Her most recognizable symbol is the Brighid's cross, of course, which is thought to be a solar symbol.

I recently read about the triquerta being used as a space filler, but I wasn't sure if it had any pre-Christian history in Ireland or not.  If you can find the reference I would be interested in learning more, but if it isn't handy don't worry about it.  I've been trying to do some research on various Celtic symbols but so far I've not found much that I would count as particularly reliable.  I'm still in the process of discerning between good and bad sources to some extent though.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: March 08, 2009, 11:35:50 pm »

I've been trying to do some research on various Celtic symbols but so far I've not found much that I would count as particularly reliable.  I'm still in the process of discerning between good and bad sources to some extent though.

I have several books on Celtic art and symbols.  My favorites are 2 by Miranda Green (who has written a number of books on Celtic history, etc., and is very reliable), Celtic Art: Symbols & Imagery, and Symbol & Image in Celtic Religious Art.

As for Celtic symbols, it depends on what you want to symbolize.  Or are you simply asking what abstract, decorative motifs were used in Celtic art?  That would depend, of course, on the specific time period.  However, in general, triskeles, spirals, spoked wheels, and equal armed crosses and swastikas are all well attested in surviving artifacts and rock art.

I'll try to find the reference on triquetras.  It's always so annoying to remember a piece of trivia like that but not be able to find it again.

Sylvan
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 10, 2009, 01:05:49 am »

I have several books on Celtic art and symbols.  My favorites are 2 by Miranda Green (who has written a number of books on Celtic history, etc., and is very reliable), Celtic Art: Symbols & Imagery, and Symbol & Image in Celtic Religious Art.

As for Celtic symbols, it depends on what you want to symbolize.  Or are you simply asking what abstract, decorative motifs were used in Celtic art?  That would depend, of course, on the specific time period.  However, in general, triskeles, spirals, spoked wheels, and equal armed crosses and swastikas are all well attested in surviving artifacts and rock art.

I'll try to find the reference on triquetras.  It's always so annoying to remember a piece of trivia like that but not be able to find it again.

I've run across Miranda Green's name in several places; I'll have to look into getting some of her books.

I did some research a few months ago on the triskele after observing that it was used frequently in the CR community.  But I was mainly interested in learning more about both the triquerta and the harp.  I had read about the triquerta being used by the church as a symbol of the trinity, but, prior to your post I didn't know if that was the result of the Christianization of the symbol or if it originated after the coming of Christianity.

Regarding the harp, I've read that it has a connection to the Dagda and/or the bardic tradition in Ireland.  While not an ancient example, I know that it was also depicted on the "green flag" used in the various rebellions against British rule in Ireland.  A couple of years ago I bought a harp pendant at a local Celtic import shop as I was starting to reconnect with my interest in Celtic myth and culture at that time.  Having previously been an eclectic Wiccan with Celtic overtones I was fairly familiar with many of the myths, although the Dagda was never a deity that I focused on particularly.  However, as my interest in him has grown I wanted to verify whether or not the harp is typically associated with him in an historical sense or whether that is a modern evolution of the symbol.
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 10, 2009, 11:30:18 am »

Also, out of curiosity, I've been looking at previous posts about how people do various things during their shifts. 

For me personally, I keep the flame.  That's a given, and then whatever else I feel called to do.  I just try to get into a mindset a few days before where I open myself to any suggestions she might have.  I'm a pretty busy person, and surrounded by preschoolers all day, so there's really not a lot of time in my day for a great deal of contemplation or deep thought.  On the night of my shift, I keep the t.v. off, maybe work on something creative, or just spend some time in meditation.  It gives me a good reason to take some time for my own spiritual needs.  Without the shift telling me to, I'd neglect it.  This way I know I'm devoting at least one day a month to being aware of my spirituality.
Sylvan
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 10, 2009, 12:28:24 pm »

Without the shift telling me to, I'd neglect it.  This way I know I'm devoting at least one day a month to being aware of my spirituality.

I'm very similar in this regard.  Having a day on my calendar when I know that I'm going to spend time focusing on spirituality is one of the main things that attracted me to the Cill.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 11, 2009, 02:28:19 am »

I'm very similar in this regard.  Having a day on my calendar when I know that I'm going to spend time focusing on spirituality is one of the main things that attracted me to the Cill.

I'm on this boat as well. Smiley And that's my main attraction to the Cill, but since I do not worship or honour Brighid, or feel any inclination to, well...  Smiley

However, it totally doesn't mean I can't do it on my own!* It just involves a lot more self-discipline.

(*The whole spending a day focusing on a specific god (in my case it would more than likely end up being Dionysos) in different ways; academic research, spiritual writing or focusing on my spirituality with Him, doing devotional acts for Him, running around at all hours of the night...)

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)