The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 20, 2022, 05:19:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2022, 05:19:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wondering what people do on shifts  (Read 11003 times)
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm
United States United States

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 17, 2009, 11:29:32 pm »

Also, out of curiosity, I've been looking at previous posts about how people do various things during their shifts. 

I've noticed that along with honoring Brighid, I often end up honoring other deities during my shift.  I think Sunflower has posted about something similar.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Sylvan
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2011, 08:37:24 am

Religion: Currently reevaluating

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 18, 2009, 12:25:08 am »

I've noticed that along with honoring Brighid, I often end up honoring other deities during my shift.  I think Sunflower has posted about something similar.
It's interesting that you posted about this; I had been wondering about whether to honor other gods during my own shift.  I have a strong devotion to Rhiannon and it's my custom to acknowledge her during any ritual or spiritual undertaking.
Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 18, 2009, 08:48:50 am »

It's interesting that you posted about this; I had been wondering about whether to honor other gods during my own shift.  I have a strong devotion to Rhiannon and it's my custom to acknowledge her during any ritual or spiritual undertaking.

I would definitely ask the gods involved.  Brighid seems to be very possessive with some people and not so much with others.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: March 18, 2009, 07:37:04 pm »

Brighid seems to be very possessive with some people and not so much with others.

So true!  I've been wondering if Brighid has told anyone else here not to try to contact other deities...?

I'm not sure if it's *possessiveness* or *protectiveness*.  I have a sense it's the latter, but I'm not sure why I need protecting from other god/desses...   Undecided

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 30, 2021, 05:21:06 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: March 19, 2009, 07:00:01 am »

<nod> While Brigid is the main focus of my shifts, they're also... well, apparently interaction/devotion with any of my PP counts as "creative work".  From what I can tell, I got nudged into the Cill for two main reasons - for Brigid herself, something like, "You've been invoking me at the beginning of February for over a decade and a half; don't you think it's about time we got better acquainted?" (other acknowledgements/connections had developed over the years, but it wasn't all that personal a relationship until I started keeping her flame); but also as a key pivot in going from, "there are a number of deities I work with, to greater or lesser degree," to having a personal/thematic pantheon in which my deities and I all interact directly.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 19, 2009, 09:37:50 am »

For me personally, I keep the flame.  That's a given, and then whatever else I feel called to do.  I just try to get into a mindset a few days before where I open myself to any suggestions she might have.  I'm a pretty busy person, and surrounded by preschoolers all day, so there's really not a lot of time in my day for a great deal of contemplation or deep thought.  On the night of my shift, I keep the t.v. off, maybe work on something creative, or just spend some time in meditation.  It gives me a good reason to take some time for my own spiritual needs.  Without the shift telling me to, I'd neglect it.  This way I know I'm devoting at least one day a month to being aware of my spirituality.

Most of my shifts start with lighting the candle just as the sun sets.  Then I spend the evening hours in learning more about Her, or something related to our tradition in some manner.  Come daylight I shift into creative pursuits, often involving metalworking in one manner or another.  Lately I've been more and more drawn to working with hot metal, and we're working on putting together a small forge for me to work copper and silver with.

Sometimes I work on embroidery or other needlearts, too.

Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 22, 2009, 02:29:18 am »

So true!  I've been wondering if Brighid has told anyone else here not to try to contact other deities...?

I'm not sure if I talked about it on here or not - I asked Her about possessiveness once.  I got the sense that the One with the first "claim" on me is Wepwawet, who not only seems okay with me talking to other deities, but seems to encourage it.

Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 22, 2009, 02:56:57 am »

Morrighan keeps making herself known when I do my shifts and otherwise honor Brighid.  *Sigh*  I am still very much afraid of Her.

*Síocháin*
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 30, 2021, 05:21:06 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: March 22, 2009, 09:05:03 am »

Morrighan keeps making herself known when I do my shifts and otherwise honor Brighid.  *Sigh*  I am still very much afraid of Her.
You can run, but you can't hide Wink.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: March 22, 2009, 12:51:59 pm »

I'm not sure if I talked about it on here or not - I asked Her about possessiveness once.  I got the sense that the One with the first "claim" on me is Wepwawet, who not only seems okay with me talking to other deities, but seems to encourage it.

Interesting.

The more I think about it, the more I think Brighid put this prohibition on me to protect me.  I'm understanding more and more (very recently) about the nature of the physical problems I experience when I encounter different kinds and intensities of energies.  It's become very obvious that I'm extremely sensitive to energies, and that certain kinds and sources can easily cause major health problems for me.  There are obvious ones, like weather systems and types of lighting (flourescent lights, f'ex), that mess with me and trigger migraines.  But I've even just realized that there much more obscure things that affect me -- there are even times when I can't even wear certain stones or colors of cloth (or whatever) because of the effects of their energies.  If a red t-shirt or citrine pendant can set a migraine off, imagine what the energy of an unfamiliar deity could do to me!   Shocked

So I *think* maybe -- for me -- this taboo is not about possessiveness. 

I hope this revelation will help me get to a place where I can manage the energy better.  If that happens, I think She'll lift the taboo.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: March 28, 2009, 03:02:25 pm »

You can run, but you can't hide Wink.

Sunflower

Yes, I know.  She likes to make herself known.  She is overwhelming sometimes, especially with the work She has for me.  I'm just worried about her sneeky little habit of making Her followers go mad Smiley

Interesting.

The more I think about it, the more I think Brighid put this prohibition on me to protect me.  I'm understanding more and more (very recently) about the nature of the physical problems I experience when I encounter different kinds and intensities of energies.  It's become very obvious that I'm extremely sensitive to energies, and that certain kinds and sources can easily cause major health problems for me.  There are obvious ones, like weather systems and types of lighting (flourescent lights, f'ex), that mess with me and trigger migraines.  But I've even just realized that there much more obscure things that affect me -- there are even times when I can't even wear certain stones or colors of cloth (or whatever) because of the effects of their energies.  If a red t-shirt or citrine pendant can set a migraine off, imagine what the energy of an unfamiliar deity could do to me!   Shocked

So I *think* maybe -- for me -- this taboo is not about possessiveness. 

I hope this revelation will help me get to a place where I can manage the energy better.  If that happens, I think She'll lift the taboo.

That makes sense.  I think She wraps Herself around you so She can protect and heal you.  You mean very much to Her as I am sure the feeling is mutual.  Like you said, the ban may be lifted soon, but your health/energy tolerance must improve first. 

*Síocháin*

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)