The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2022, 12:53:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2022, 12:53:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fibula, Version 2, copper rings with silver and pewter  (Read 2805 times)
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm
United States United States

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 07, 2009, 06:59:11 pm »

Version one was made of inexpensive chain, some dance coins and a couple of pins.  This one I like much better, and I'll be keeping it to wear with my Irish peplos, a dress that is similar to the Greek peplos in style. 

The copper rings are rough-cut from some scrap pipe.  On the later versions of this I'll be finishing the rings to be smooth edged, but for my own I wanted to leave them rough.  The rings are joined with doubled silver jump rings, then I made the chains of doubled smaller jump rings and eye pins.  I added three dual spiral ornaments and a couple of glass leaves to finish it.

The pins will be worn at the collar bone, pinning the front and back of the dress together.  The dress is pretty much just a tube of fabric, the seam flat-felled so that it looks nice from either side, the top folded down and the length bloused over a belt.  This will be my new ritual wear.  In this case I'm making the peplos of pale yellow cotton, though I'm hoping to be able to swing some saffron yellow linen shortly.  Over the peplos I'll wear a green wool brat, a cloak that really is just 3 yards of wool folded and worn in a number of ways.  It greatly resembles the airisaid of Scotland, but is a solid color with a decorative woven band and fringe on the cut ends, the selvages left alone. 

When I get the work on the garments finished I'll share them as well, if anyone is interested.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 08, 2009, 12:33:57 am »

Version one was made of inexpensive chain, some dance coins and a couple of pins.  This one I like much better, and I'll be keeping it to wear with my Irish peplos, a dress that is similar to the Greek peplos in style. 

The copper rings are rough-cut from some scrap pipe.  On the later versions of this I'll be finishing the rings to be smooth edged, but for my own I wanted to leave them rough.  The rings are joined with doubled silver jump rings, then I made the chains of doubled smaller jump rings and eye pins.  I added three dual spiral ornaments and a couple of glass leaves to finish it.

The pins will be worn at the collar bone, pinning the front and back of the dress together.  The dress is pretty much just a tube of fabric, the seam flat-felled so that it looks nice from either side, the top folded down and the length bloused over a belt.  This will be my new ritual wear.  In this case I'm making the peplos of pale yellow cotton, though I'm hoping to be able to swing some saffron yellow linen shortly.  Over the peplos I'll wear a green wool brat, a cloak that really is just 3 yards of wool folded and worn in a number of ways.  It greatly resembles the airisaid of Scotland, but is a solid color with a decorative woven band and fringe on the cut ends, the selvages left alone. 

When I get the work on the garments finished I'll share them as well, if anyone is interested.

Sounds terribly period!  Grin  Pix?

--------------
Blesséd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 08, 2009, 09:31:30 am »

I'll post them when I get the seaming done and get the trim sewn onto the brat.  The green wool is what I used for the background.  I picked that up a couple of  years ago at a second hand store.  $2 for about 3.5 yards of 100% wool. 

Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 08, 2009, 12:07:04 pm »

I wanted to address the "period" flavor of this ritual wear.  I'm far from a Reconstructionist in most ways, but... 

I have been doing a great deal of research into pre-Christian Ireland, including what people wore.  This outfit is based on that research.  I will eventually also craft myself a leine to wear under the peplos, for cooler weather. 

A little background on the pieces:  The peplos and fibula (the original safety pin) were common from Greece throughout the Mediterranean and much of Europe in the 1st-5th centuries CE.  In Ireland the style was adopted and made native through the colorful trimmings and bright dyes.  Saffron-yellow is the most often mentioned color for Irish leinte and other linen garments.  Considering how dye resistant linen is there are only a couple of colors that would be common in period- natural, white and yellow.  Since only the very poorest would wear unbleached linen (and even the poor could bleach cloth pretty readily), white and yellow are the colors generally chosen.  The descriptions always call the linen "gel", which translates to bright, and there's ample later evidence of the Irish love of saffron colored clothing, so I chose yellow for my peplos.  The brat is the Irish answer to the airisaid and the belted plaid of Scotland.  The Irish wore their enormous length of fabric differently from the Scots, though the two garments are really pretty much the same thing.  A length of anywhere from two to nine yards of fabric, folded and worn wrapped around the body in a number of ways.  The Irish brat is generally folded and worn over the shoulder, pinned to the side or draped around the shoulders and pinned at the throat in the center. 

The brat is most often made of wool, fulled and trimmed in any number of ways.  Woven bands, fringe and embroidery are all attested to in the artwork and descriptions. 
Also known were the Irish shaggy cloaks, which are pretty much the same thing as a flokati rug.  The fibula were most commonly a pair of matched pins.  I chose the connected pins because the weight of the jewelry between the pins helps the front of the peplos to lay better against the body.  If money were no object I'd get this set: http://www.craftycelts.com/fibulas/oak.html but $700 for a fibula set and belt is out of my range.  My cloak pin, which I'm just waiting for the glue to set up on, is a copper penannular brooch with pewter bead ends.  I can't find my small anvil, or I'd have simply pounded out the ends into wide leaves to hold the pin onto the base.  Since it is missing, I opted for a torc style.  The torc is probably the best known piece of Celtic jewelry, as it was THE Celtic neckwear of choice.  It is seen in artwork from all over the Celtic world.

I feel that wearing the sort of things that my ancestors would've worn during ritual is appropriate.  Ritual garb should help to set the mood, and I feel that is what my period clothing does for me. 

I'll be making two more complete sets of ritual garb in this style, but in different colors.  Darastrix will be getting madder (a reddish color) with something that looks good with it for her brat and Gen will be getting woad blue with a black brat.  Woad will dye linen a nice indigo blue.

All of us will have white leinte.  Keeping it white makes them work with any color of peplos, and I know that once they wear them they're going to want more of them.  Peplos are comfortable to wear.

That we can also wear these for going to Tara just makes them all the more fun.  (Tara is a Highland games gathering at Camp Gaea, the same place where Heartland Pagan Festival is held)

Tim has a phillabean for ritual wear.  He likes the kilt.  Not period for Ireland, but he doesn't care.  And I can't help it- I love a man in a kilt!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)