The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 19, 2021, 10:38:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2021, 10:38:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: US Switch to Daylight Savings Time 8 March 09  (Read 8261 times)
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 08, 2009, 08:21:53 pm »

There's an hour of my life I'm never getting back. It's like The Da Vinci Code all over again. But divided by 3.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 08, 2009, 10:11:39 pm »

There's an hour of my life I'm never getting back. It's like The Da Vinci Code all over again. But divided by 3.

you get it back in the fall, the key is to take other time than the middle of the night.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 08, 2009, 10:44:01 pm »

I LOVE this time change!  It means I can actually enjoy daylight after work.  How is that possibly a bad thing?

Now, if we just stuck to this time schedule all year and forget the 'fall back' part, I'd be happy.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
firefly124
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2011, 05:35:40 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: firefly124

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 08, 2009, 11:21:16 pm »

It's time to switch to Daylight Saving time already.

This means that if you live in a part of the US (and Canada, I think) that hasn't opted out of DST, you need to set your clocks AHEAD one hour tonight before you go to bed as DST takes effect at 2am Sunday (which suddenly becomes 3 am) March 8, 2009.

This is one of those times my bizarre schedule pays off.  I didn't lose an hour of sleep.  I lost an hour of work.  And I have essentially no circadian rhythm anymore anyway, what with flip-flopping between getting up at 6am and working until 8am.

"[L]ive as though the world were what it should be, to show it what it can be." -- Angel, "Deep Down"
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 09, 2009, 03:10:26 am »

And what is really amazing is that when you have to set your clocks back, nobody is an hour early to work because they forgot to set their clocks, but it is amazing how many people are late because they forgot to set their clocks when they switch forward.

My friend told me a story about his boss from yesterday who was constantly going on about how they needed to set their clocks ahead and don't forget to be late to work or she'll be pissed.

She ended up being a half an hour late due to forgetting.  Cheesy  My friend was not pleased, but at least found some humour in the situation.

Personally Daylight Savings Day for me makes me feel like I'm in limbo because no one is sure when to actually set the clocks.. plus I forget WHICH ones need to change, and which ones do so automatically. Plus I have insomnia so that doesn't help on the matter. My body thinks its 9 pm but its really 2 am.. oh wait now its 3 am. Crap! Cheesy

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #20: March 09, 2009, 05:22:50 am »

I LOVE this time change!  It means I can actually enjoy daylight after work.  How is that possibly a bad thing?

I'm glad (not in a sarcastic way, although I realize it will sound like that) that it's good for someone.  I go to work early; I was just beginning to finally get a little bit of almost-daylight on the commute, and now it's suddenly been stolen away from me and I won't see it for months again.  It makes it really hard to get going in the morning, especially since I then spend my day in a windowless office and get to see the sunshine only through doors and windows when I go down the hall to the bathroom.  (Although if the weather's nice I can go walk around the building, but that's still not much.)

Also, I go to bed at, like, 10.  By midsummer, it's going to not get dark until almost bedtime, and that really throws me off.  I'm just glad my 19-month-old daughter doesn't appear to have issues with going to sleep when it's light out, because suddenly it's light out when she's going to bed (meaning her room still has sunlight coming in too--not much, with the curtains, but some).  It kind of messes up the outdoor plays the civic theater I'm involved in puts on in the summer, too; we had to move the time around because otherwise we started needing lighting, like, halfway through, which got a little ridiculous in some ways.

I think, though, it's really mostly the abruptness of the transition that makes me hate it.  If this were a gradual change that I could adjust to slowly, as it happened over the course of months, that wouldn't be half as bad.  Like this, though?  One day it's dark by 8pm, and the next day, I go out to get some groceries I forgot at 8 and find it's still mostly light.  It completely throws me off, because there's no chance to adjust; 8pm just suddenly looks like 7pm.  Sad

I'll admit I don't get as cranky in the fall, but that's mostly because the irritation is eased by getting an extra hour of sleep (instead of having an hour of my day stolen from me--which also bugs).

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: March 09, 2009, 02:12:17 pm »

How is it possibly a thing that wouldn't be better addressed with flex time rather than fucking with everyone's schedule, screwing up people's health, stealing the morning daylight from people like Star, making it more difficult for people whose schedules are actually sun-based rather than clock-based (like farmers, who are the group that I've heard Daylight Stupidity Time justified for most often) to interact with the rest of the world, and otherwise just plain screwing with basic awareness of the rhythms of the natural environment?  I mean, noon is when the sun is high, right?  Not right now!

My biology and for that matter my theology are sun-rhythm-based, and now I'm screwed up until sanity returns to us in the fall.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: March 09, 2009, 02:18:46 pm »

How is it possibly a thing that wouldn't be better addressed with flex time rather than fucking with everyone's schedule, screwing up people's health, stealing the morning daylight from people like Star, making it more difficult for people whose schedules are actually sun-based rather than clock-based (like farmers, who are the group that I've heard Daylight Stupidity Time justified for most often) to interact with the rest of the world, and otherwise just plain screwing with basic awareness of the rhythms of the natural environment?  I mean, noon is when the sun is high, right?  Not right now!

My biology and for that matter my theology are sun-rhythm-based, and now I'm screwed up until sanity returns to us in the fall.

I'm pretty sure flex time goes against the godfearing etcness of *proper* business, which actually acknowledges that people are, y'know, PEOPLE, and might have different schedules and rhythms and stuff.

Gods forbid we're not interchangeable robots. Tongue

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)