The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 21, 2021, 11:21:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2021, 11:21:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Craft - Getting over uneasiness?  (Read 3908 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 10, 2009, 08:09:25 pm »

Newbie to the craft, and all that sort. Just a bit of curiosity. How does working with magic make each of you as an individual feel? Do you ever feel uneasy, or silly, when you work with tools, and chants?

Personally, the first time or times I do something often feels a little odd - doesn't matter if it's a magical technique, a new recipe, a new art or crafting skill, walking into a new role in a job. It's the combination of not really knowing exactly what you're doing, and being very self-aware of what's going on.

The things that help me:
- being really clear on what I'm doing, and what it's supposed to do.
What's a successful outcome? What's a failed one? What are the most risky failure modes? What can I do to to avoid those? (For example, when cooking, 'food is totally unpalatable' is a very different failure mode that 'cut self badly with knife'. Guess which one I'd rather avoid.)

- doing my homework - making sure I have all the necessary precursor skills to do whatever it is I want to do thoughtfully and safely, when that's necessary.
If I'm doing ritual, do I know how to ground and center, and how to construct the ritual space I want? If I'm knitting, do I know how to select the right yarn, and how to cast on and do the stitches I need? If I'm cooking, do I have the right tools. If I'm working with any open flame (including the gas stove in my kitchen!), do I have a first aid kit and fire extinguisher on hand and know how to use them? And so on.

- what related skills do I have?
When I start to do something new, it doesn't mean *everything* is new. If I'm using a new ritual method, what do I know about similar ritual methods? If I'm taking on a new task at work, what do I know about either similar tasks, or about how *I* take on new tasks well? If I'm doing something like considering working with a group, what do I know about groups I've worked well in the past?

The combination of all three of those usually helps me deal with the new thing better - and help figure out how to make the 'nervous and uncertain' bits less lengthy.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)