The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2021, 11:44:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2021, 11:44:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Craft - Getting over uneasiness?  (Read 3917 times)
fatalperfection
Journeyman
Last Login:September 14, 2010, 03:46:05 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan... with wiccan elements

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 10, 2009, 08:21:22 pm »

My tools are whatever is handy and seems appropriate, common household items. (Besom, wooden spoon, candles.) I think the idea of them being catalysts is pretty accurate; they help with focus, to channel the intent into the physical realm. Particularly when you have a specific tool or two that are very often used in spellwork, an automatic association grows over time - each time I hold the wooden spoon that I often use in my kitchen witchery, it helps me to get into the mental space more easily, because of the association with the other times it has been used for magic. (And perhaps it does hold the energy of that intent, and that is being accessed each time. Could be.) I believe (could be off a little or a lot) that in Wicca, it is thought that the tools are imbued with certain energies, and that that is integral to the practice - the ceremonial tools are intentionally charged with energies for their purpose, and if they are protected and not cleansed of that energy they will hold on to it, for future use.  They are very important for raising the energy of the circle.

I think it depends on what type of wicca you're doing... there's so many types. lol I consider myself wiccan, and I use a bit of what you're saying and the ceremonial stuff. The authors I've read mostly tend to think that ceremonial magic helps concentrate, and there may be magical contents to herbs/stones/incense, but mostly it's as you described (at least in the kind I practice). The tools really have little power on their own. It's what helps you put your energy into things. I'd have to say this is the view I hold. While I like spells sometimes because they assist me in energy raising and give meaning, the type of magic you describe is just as valid, I think.

Most of the magical properties that are supposed of stones, etc. are really just a bunch of trial and error, so maybe they have some power (in my opinion), but I personally think that energy is really highest in willpower and then just existent throughout the universe, able to be tapped into, and perhaps more of one type of energy in some things due to buildup over time (maybe what people have put into it, maybe what has accumulated by other means)...

Quote from: Ryan on March 09, 2009, 09:46:40 pm
Newbie to the craft, and all that sort. Just a bit of curiosity. How does working with magic make each of you as an individual feel? Do you ever feel uneasy, or silly, when you work with tools, and chants?

So I'd say, sometimes it can just feel weird to be doing stuff where no one can see. That can easily be surpassed. But if it's that it doesn't seem right, or doesn't work, my view is that you can raise the energy just as easy yourself, as Collinsky said, and if you're talking specifically about wicca, there are wiccan authors that hold this view. It all depends on what works for you.

PM me if you like! I would love to meet other pagans in my area (AZ)... I am basically neo-pagan with a tendency towards eclectic wicca, but I am open to anybody!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)