The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2022, 10:55:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2022, 10:55:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Books on Green, Hedge or Kitchen Witchcraft, please...  (Read 12840 times)
jacktrivia
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 28, 2009, 05:29:34 am
United States United States

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 11, 2009, 03:41:48 am »

So, I want to understand more of what I'm seeing... I want to start w/ Green Witchcraft, Hedge Witch, Kitchen Witch, etc..
I picked up a book at the used book store... Green Magic by Ann Moura. Can anyone suggest any other authors?

I really like Rae Beth who is a hedge witch. I'm reading her book The Wiccan Path (A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner), and I have The Hedge Witch's Way, which I haven't read yet. She also has one called Hedge Witch.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

jacktrivia
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 11, 2009, 03:50:50 am »

A few words of warning about Ann Moura. Her magic is much more ritualistic than most kitchen/green witchery. Her attitude toward other religions in extremely negative. Her history is bad.

I know nothing about Ann Moura and have never read anything by her, but this really peaked my curiosity. Can you elaborate at all about how/why her history is bad?
jacktrivia
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 11, 2009, 04:08:47 am »

Can you elaborate at all about how/why her history is bad?

Oh, never mind. I just did a search on the forum and figured it out. Her writings on history are bad. I thought you had meant her personal history here.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: March 11, 2009, 08:27:14 am »

Oh, never mind. I just did a search on the forum and figured it out. Her writings on history are bad. I thought you had meant her personal history here.

Sorry for the confusion. Her writings on history are very bad. They mainly show up in Origins of Modern Witchcraft (also where her attitude toward other religions -- even other Pagan religions -- is made crystal clear), but are mentioned in passing in most of her other books.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 11, 2009, 08:02:47 pm »

Good books on keying vegetation are scarce.  There are a lot of books out there but most have serious flaws.  For a beginer who is going to 'live off the land', there are many look-a-likes that can be dangerous.

<nods>  And there are some that have little nuggets of good stuff (Marilyn Diamond's "Fit for Life", f'ex--her "almondaise" recipe is really unique and delicious) but are full of weird or outdated info.

Brina
Scarlet
Apprentice
Last Login:March 20, 2009, 05:23:31 pm

Religion: Trad / Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 12, 2009, 02:04:08 am »

As other have said, Ellen Dugan's books are very good. Her book 'Cottage Witchery' is fantastic: full to the brim of natural magic ideas, seasonal decorations, etc.

Someone else has said Kate West 'The Real Witches' Kitchen' and I agree, I love this book.

Those two are my favourites, but I also recommend 'Witch in the Kitchen' by Cait Johnson (although this is essentially a seasonal Vegetarian cookbook).

Thanks for reconfirming what others have posted. That helps me make decisions on purchasing books a little easier. I appreciate your input.
Scarlet
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 12, 2009, 02:04:53 am »

I also like Marian Green, A Witch Alone.  With in reason it is a good solitary Wiccan book.

Solitary is exactly what I need. Thank you.
Scarlet
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 12, 2009, 02:06:27 am »

Good books on keying vegetation are scarce.  There are a lot of books out there but most have serious flaws.  For a beginer who is going to 'live off the land', there are many look-a-likes that can be dangerous.

Live off the land. It's starting to sound like that these paths have a strong focus on using what you have around you. Is this true? Or a wrong assumption?
Scarlet
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 12, 2009, 02:07:24 am »

I really like Rae Beth who is a hedge witch. I'm reading her book The Wiccan Path (A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner), and I have The Hedge Witch's Way, which I haven't read yet. She also has one called Hedge Witch.

Thanks for the suggestions. Solitary is definitely my focus of learning too.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 08, 2022, 10:59:47 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: March 12, 2009, 07:16:00 am »

Live off the land. It's starting to sound like that these paths have a strong focus on using what you have around you. Is this true? Or a wrong assumption?
I was going to say - thinking more specifically of the "live off the land" angle - that they can, but don't necessarily, but then I thought about exactly how you'd phrased it.  Yes, I'd say, "witchcraft using what you have around you" - whether that's growing as much as possible of your own food, or just using ordinary household-and-environs stuff, like kitchen utensils, rocks, bits of string, and such, as spell components (why, yes, I do nick terminology from RPGs, when it's useful/applicable to the non-gaming world) - is exactly what a kitchen witch does.

Every now and again, I have me an old-school grumble about how "kitchen witch" covers a lot more ground than just cooking.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: March 12, 2009, 07:38:16 am »

Every now and again, I have me an old-school grumble about how "kitchen witch" covers a lot more ground than just cooking.

That's why I prefer the term 'hedgewitch'.  To me it implies a wider area of concern that includes not only hearth and home but the land around it it.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 12, 2009, 12:38:53 pm »

To add to Sunflower's comment, it isn't necessarily about growing food or even growing spell ingredients.  It's about utilizing what's around you in more of a hunter/gatherer capacity.  City folk can be Hedgey too.  There are plenty of plants growing in the city (though I'd be careful about using them as food--you never know what they might have been exposed to).  Knowing the name and uses for a plant you see growing out of the sidewalk is just as valuable as knowing about one that grows in the forest.

That said, I think there's inherent value to tending your own plants, even if they grow in a pot on your windowsill or terrace.  Or if you have to schlep a piece to tend your section of the community garden.  But that's me.  I'm plant-oriented.  Wink

Brina

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)