The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 24, 2020, 04:52:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 04:52:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding the Right Path  (Read 3527 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 15, 2009, 08:34:06 am »

About 10 years into my practice something traumatic occurred in my life. I had left an abusive relationship. I was also with a child. I did everything legally possible to keep him away. But I wanted to do something more to keep myself and my son safe. Everyone told me no no no, no the Rede states, you can only protect no defense. Then I met someone who followed the Strega path. She said you can defend yourself and your child. Make him leave, keep him away.

She was right. The Rede only say that if what you want to do does not harm others, it is definitely okay to do it. It doesn't say anything at all about what to do if if what you want to do will harm others -- as that requires JUDGMENT, not a pithy saying.  Besides, even if you come from the Neo-Wiccan branch that believes the Wiccan Rede is a moral law that says you should not cause harm at all, it does not help. By acting to protect yourself, you cause harm. By not acting to protect yourself, you cause harm by allowing harm to yourself or others that you had the power to prevent. You end up breaking the "harm none" moral law no matter what you do.

This is why "cause harm to none" is bad moral law -- it is impossible to exist without every action you take causing harm to some creature.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)