The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 08, 2020, 05:20:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 08, 2020, 05:20:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Are all dreams worth paying attention to?  (Read 3277 times)
GoldenGryffe
Apprentice
Last Login:March 19, 2009, 01:31:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Undecided / Shamanistic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 14, 2009, 09:14:05 am »

I'm pondering why I'm dreaming more. Usually, I never remember that I dream, let alone what I dreamed about, but recently I've had a few that I remember in decent enough detail. I used to always pay attention to my dreams, because they were few and vivid, but I can't say that anymore.

For example, I dreamed twice in the past four nights (that I can remember). One I paid attention to, because it was a lecture by Ray Buckland (not on anything significantly pagan, just a goofing around get-together) and then at the library I found a book by him. So I checked that out along with the one I had gone in to get, since it seemed like I should be reading it as well.

But the other one seems like just a regular dream, running around a Winco (miniature bulk food store in the Pacific NW), grabbing food for lunch/dinner and vaulting over displays of boxes of peanuts. Huh Didn't make any sense to me at all, lol.

Has anyone gone through something like this, where they start remembering dreams when usually they don't dream at all? I don't know if I should be paying any attention to these dreams short of the meaning hitting me over the head, like with the book. Any advice on it? Undecided

And sorry if that made no sense, I was woken up against my will after three hours of sleep this last night... Time to go try for more.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 14, 2009, 09:59:47 am »

Has anyone gone through something like this, where they start remembering dreams when usually they don't dream at all? I don't know if I should be paying any attention to these dreams short of the meaning hitting me over the head, like with the book. Any advice on it? Undecided

If I'm remembering my classes right, we dream every night.  We just don't always remember our dreams.  It seems to be the mind's way of sorting through what we were thinking and feeling.

If you were dreaming of a pagan author, then I'm going to assume that you've been thinking about paganism and books lately.  Maybe it wasn't at the forefront of your mind all week, but perhaps in the back?  I tend to pay attention to the general tone and themes of dreams.  For example, dreams where I find myself frantically packing are common and it's an indication that I'm under stress.  Sometimes I don't realize how stressed I actually am until I have a dream like that and really think about how life has been going lately.  Smiley

Very few dreams (for most people) seem to have mystical meanings.  You can still garner a lot of information about your state of mind from them though.  Just pay attention to your feelings in the dream, the mood and any reoccuring themes.

- OpenHands

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 14, 2009, 05:18:27 pm »

And sorry if that made no sense, I was woken up against my will after three hours of sleep this last night... Time to go try for more.

Getting woken up in the middle of a dream cycle makes it REALLY likely that you'll both be groggy AND that you'll remember the dream.  Are you waking up in the middle of the night a lot more lately?  Or having an alarm go off *just too early*?

I had a dream while I was napping that my son won a radio contest and got a huge wonderful lego toy.  I think it means I like legos. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 14, 2009, 06:36:08 pm »

There are a few things that I know can make your dreams more vivid. Certain medications can alter normal dream patterns. Ambien is known to do this, so is diphenhydramine - the antihistamine in Unisom, Benadryl, and some cold meds. 

The other thing is pregnancy. Whenever I am pregnant I dream much more vividly. When I'm not pregnant I still remember a lot of my dreams, but it's like the difference between watching black and white TV vs watching color TV........on a bigscreen HD television.I actually had this conversation a few days ago with some friends and family members, and pregnancy seems to affect a lot of people this way.

I suppose any hormonal changes might have the same effect, like from a new birth control or something.

I also notice that when I've been actively changing something within myself, or starting a new phase in something, my drems become more "in my face."

Chances are if you are growing in your spirituality, your dreams may start to become clearer on a more regular basis. It might help to make a journal of the dreams you remember (as soon as you wake up is best). Write down what happened and any impressions or feelings you had when you woke from each dream. Look back at it every once in a while. Look for patterns. You might see that a dream reflected a problem you were trying to work out, or even offered a solution to one. You'll probably see some dreams about things you were thinking about (or saw on TV) before you went to bed.

In my personal experience, some dreams have a purpose and some dreams are just dreams. I hope this helps. Good Luck! Smiley

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 15, 2009, 05:47:21 pm »

Very few dreams (for most people) seem to have mystical meanings.  You can still garner a lot of information about your state of mind from them though.  Just pay attention to your feelings in the dream, the mood and any reoccuring themes.

Do you think symbolism plays into this at all? What you take away from them, I mean.

In some of those more unordinary dreams, how do you know what is important and what isn't? I try to pay attention to my dreams as a way of understanding some of the junk that doesn't get a chance to surface during the day.

Example:  Last night I had a dream that I was trying to sleep in my grandmother's living room. Her living room is very open, with tons of windows that face a wooded backyard. And as I was trying to go sleep a wolf came through the trees and sniffed around the patio. It was so vivid. I was scared stiff. But somewhere along the line the wolf sort of let me know it was here to protect me and it sat down in front of the door. I was able to sleep and the dream shifted into something else.

How do you figure out what out of place things mean? Is it archtypal or something else?

I know what the situation represent (I have to go seniorsit my grandmother over spring break and I'm kind of nervous about being stranded there with no car) but what does the wolf mean? I don't know. Food for thought I guess.
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 16, 2009, 06:23:48 pm »

Do you think symbolism plays into this at all? What you take away from them, I mean.

In some of those more unordinary dreams, how do you know what is important and what isn't? I try to pay attention to my dreams as a way of understanding some of the junk that doesn't get a chance to surface during the day.

Example:  Last night I had a dream that I was trying to sleep in my grandmother's living room. Her living room is very open, with tons of windows that face a wooded backyard. And as I was trying to go sleep a wolf came through the trees and sniffed around the patio. It was so vivid. I was scared stiff. But somewhere along the line the wolf sort of let me know it was here to protect me and it sat down in front of the door. I was able to sleep and the dream shifted into something else.

How do you figure out what out of place things mean? Is it archtypal or something else?

I know what the situation represent (I have to go seniorsit my grandmother over spring break and I'm kind of nervous about being stranded there with no car) but what does the wolf mean? I don't know. Food for thought I guess.

I'm lucky.  Important dreams in my case come with a color key.  If I'm supposed to pay attention to something everything but that something goes black&white, while it goes technicolor vivid.

Wolf as protector.  You won't be as alone as you think, perhaps?  There'll be someone you can call upon in need?

OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 16, 2009, 09:16:54 pm »

I don't really go for the idea that symbols are standard for everybody.   I think you have to look at what you associate with a symbol and consider how you felt about it in the dream. 

Me?  I would ask myself what I associate wolves with and consider how I felt about the wolf in my dream.  You said you were initially scared, but then felt safe and reassured.  Sounds like it could be a reflection of your anxieties in a new situation.  Along the lines of Mattie's suggestion, maybe some part of you was trying to reassure yourself that you can handle it?  What do you think?

- OpenHands

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 17, 2009, 10:45:47 am »

What do you think?

I think you'd be right. I did some thinking and realized it was playing on one of my hopes that I would have someone else to rely on. It's not something I really wanted to admit to myself so it makes sense that would come up so vividly. When I think about how I felt the wolf in the dream, it was very reluctant. I didn't entirely feel comfortable with it protecting me, I didn't want it to really. But I couldn't deny it certainly could protect me and in the end I let it.

I don't know how that applies to the situation really.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: March 17, 2009, 01:43:21 pm »

I think that even if dreams have no real meaning, you (general you) should pay attention to them if only for cheap entertainment.

Although I probably shouldn't take my own advice because the dreams I can remember make me go WTF.  For example, this morning I woke up after my dreaming about my mother telling me my socks look worn out even though I thought they looked fine.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Ghost Queen
Journeyman
Last Login:April 11, 2010, 08:10:46 pm
Ecuador Ecuador

Religion: Ecclectic Polytheistic Pagan

At the Edge of Enigma, the Gatekeeper waits...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 20, 2009, 04:51:36 pm »

I dreamed vividly all my life, and I think being a composer has something to do with that. (My head is full of crazy ideas so they show themselves in my dreams)

But coming from someone who dreams vividly a lot, I have to say, if I paid serious attention to every single one of my dreams, I'd probably drive myself crazy. The ones I pay the most attention to are the recurring ones, or even if a certain object always seems to have a prominent function in the dream. Most of my dreams end up being remembered strictly for entertainment value, or as my brain's way of dealing with information.

The meaning of life is to give life meaning
Go too fast, move too slow
Restore the balance between thinking and feeling
Open up and let it flow

-Ayreon 01011001
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 21, 2009, 07:51:36 am »

For me only view dreams have spiritual meaning. I can tell the difference by how I feel while experiencing the dream. There's always an awareness that I'm physically in my bed and there's always the feeling of being approached by some power or filled with a specific energy.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)