The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 24, 2021, 06:33:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2021, 06:33:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Manal Omar on her five piece Islamic swimsuit  (Read 7189 times)
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 24, 2007, 09:14:21 am »

From The Guardian via a friend's blog:

'I felt more welcome in the Bible belt'

Manal Omar had used her five-piece 'Islamic-style' swimsuit for years - in Rio, Washington and Kuala Lumpur - and it had never brought her more than a curious glance. Then she went for a dip in Oxford ...

Another swimmer at the pool saw her wearing it, and complained to a manager.  Somehow the whole episode ends up in the local newspaper, sparking a debate on immigration and assimilation, along with personal attacks on Ms. Omar.  The whole thing is positively surreal.  Tongue

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 24, 2007, 09:23:37 am »

Another swimmer at the pool saw her wearing it, and complained to a manager.  Somehow the whole episode ends up in the local newspaper, sparking a debate on immigration and assimilation, along with personal attacks on Ms. Omar.  The whole thing is positively surreal.  Tongue

That is .. so bizarre.

and, y'know, I wouldn't personally go quite that far, but I see NOTHING wrong with being able to get more modest swimsuits!  If that's what she's comfortable in, and it's safe to swim in, what the FUCK does it matter to anyone else?

That is just too weird.  (and I hope, if I lived there, I'd have the guts to go get one of those suits and swim there just as a statement).

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 24, 2007, 12:32:05 pm »

A good read - by an admirable woman.  Smiley

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 24, 2007, 05:43:48 pm »

Another swimmer at the pool saw her wearing it, and complained to a manager.  Somehow the whole episode ends up in the local newspaper, sparking a debate on immigration and assimilation, along with personal attacks on Ms. Omar.  The whole thing is positively surreal. 

That's really weird. From the picture, it looks something like what one of our neighbors in San Antonio worn in the pool. He was taking drugs that make his skin sunburn almost instantly but needed to use the pool for physical therapy. Translation: I don't see the problem.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 24, 2007, 06:53:30 pm »

the whole episode ends up in the local newspaper, sparking a debate on immigration and assimilation, along with personal attacks on Ms. Omar.  The whole thing is positively surreal.  Tongue
I really can't comprehend the kind of mind that can jump from extreme modesty in swimwear to the destruction of Christian civilization.  I suppose that's something I should be proud of.

(If anything, I'd think it would be the string bikinis they'd be worried about.)

The suits are actually rather nice.  I'm thinking of ordering one for my mom, who loves to swim, but hasn't worn a suit anywhere she could possibly be seen since she hit 50.  And before that, it had to be one with a skirt.  Not muslim, just not wild about the idea of showing off her body.  (Me neither actually... Hmmm...  I wonder if I could get one without the hood...  The green was pretty...)
Beachglass
Master Member

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 24, 2007, 06:57:05 pm »

The suits are actually rather nice.  I'm thinking of ordering one for my mom, who loves to swim, but hasn't worn a suit anywhere she could possibly be seen since she hit 50.  And before that, it had to be one with a skirt.  Not muslim, just not wild about the idea of showing off her body.  (Me neither actually... Hmmm...  I wonder if I could get one without the hood...  The green was pretty...)

Hehe, I think the headgear is a separate piece.

Some of their skirts are really nice, and long skirts are not at all in fashion here.  Too bad I'm so far away. Tongue

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 24, 2007, 11:24:53 pm »

Another swimmer at the pool saw her wearing it, and complained to a manager. 

::shakes head:: Somehow I get the impression that the burly, middle-aged man never saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  Remember the beach scene?  The swimming costume of Truly Scrumptious was even more modest than Ms. Omar's. 

A very well written article.  I can understand how Mr. Caldwell could be threatened by an obviously well educated, mannered and modest individual.   Roll Eyes

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 25, 2007, 04:20:59 pm »

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Don't they usually whine about thongs and topless beaches leading to the downfall of civilization?  Saying this lady's choice of swimwear will cause that is like saying the planet will explode if you use cottage cheese on your baked potato instead of sour cream.

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 25, 2007, 10:37:57 pm »

and, y'know, I wouldn't personally go quite that far, but I see NOTHING wrong with being able to get more modest swimsuits! 

Damn straight!  That's one of the reasons I haven't gone swimming in... 10+ years; I don't want to be seen in any of the modern swimsuit options.  I thought about learning to sew so that I could make one of those 1920's-style suits (kinda like this one, but w/knee-length shorts and an ass-covering skirt that goes at least halfway to the knees).  And actually, the headpiece would be great for protecting your hair from pool chemicals.

I looked around their site, and I quite liked a lot of their clothes; they're modest w/o being a tent.  Very modern, (mostly) tasteful colors, a nice length to the shirts and loosness to the pants.  Even their jilbab, while not something I would wear, looks nice, and not helaciously uncomfortable like they usually do in pics from the ME.  I saved it to my favorites, so that dude's prejudice may've just gave a Muslim company some business.  ^_^  (Eta:  can any ex-pats please explain to me US v. Euro sizing?  Those can't be US sizes.)

~~~Pyperlie<^>
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 10:42:56 pm by Madam Pyperlie » Logged

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Beachglass
Master Member

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 26, 2007, 01:47:25 am »

Can any ex-pats please explain to me US v. Euro sizing?  Those can't be US sizes.

Well, I'm not in Europe, but here's their size chart.  I'd measure yourself rather than converting by size though, American sizes are notoriously variable, and those conversions won't be exact anyway.

Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 26, 2007, 02:31:13 am »

Well, I'm not in Europe, but here's their size chart

Thanks, Beachglass.  Smiley  I didn't even think to look on their site (it's been a blonde life  Tongue ).

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 26, 2007, 06:32:05 pm »

I'm sure there are others, but this is the first Islamic slothing site (of the few I looked at) that had actual females modeling the clothes.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 26, 2007, 07:36:57 pm »

I'm sure there are others, but this is the first Islamic slothing site (of the few I looked at) that had actual females modeling the clothes.

The Randal-isms are growing!

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 26, 2007, 07:47:17 pm »

It might be alright if you wanted to go to the pool and wade or sit around.  With that much cloth and the design of it it was be absolutely lousy to try and swim in.   If you were not a good swimmer and jumed into deep water you could be in danger of drowning.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #14: April 26, 2007, 07:55:27 pm »

It might be alright if you wanted to go to the pool and wade or sit around.  With that much cloth and the design of it it was be absolutely lousy to try and swim in.   If you were not a good swimmer and jumed into deep water you could be in danger of drowning.

How do you figure?  Unless I'm missing something, it's essentially a wetsuit with a fairly short dress/long shirt over it...  That doesn't seem like much extra loose fabric to me, and certainly nothing that would put one in much more danger of drowning than any other suit that has a short skirt, or the oversized T-shirts some people wear over their suits around here.  And from the article it sounded like the woman writing the article had been swimming laps in hers safely and effectively for some time.

Maybe I am missing something, though...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:57:02 pm by Star » Logged

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)