The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 24, 2021, 06:37:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2021, 06:37:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Manal Omar on her five piece Islamic swimsuit  (Read 7190 times)
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 26, 2007, 08:18:18 pm »

How do you figure?  Unless I'm missing something, it's essentially a wetsuit with a fairly short dress/long shirt over it...  That doesn't seem like much extra loose fabric to me, and certainly nothing that would put one in much more danger of drowning than any other suit that has a short skirt, or the oversized T-shirts some people wear over their suits around here.  And from the article it sounded like the woman writing the article had been swimming laps in hers safely and effectively for some time.

Maybe I am missing something, though...

It could be that I am missing something myself.  It looked to me light cloth 'tights' with other cloth portions.

Have you ever tryed swimming nearly fully clothed?  It is difficult.  In high school I was on the swim team, so I am not inexperienced (just a lot  weaker now) but clothing can really drag you down.  If you want to just sun, go to the park.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 26, 2007, 08:39:17 pm »

It could be that I am missing something myself.  It looked to me light cloth 'tights' with other cloth portions.

Have you ever tryed swimming nearly fully clothed?  It is difficult.  In high school I was on the swim team, so I am not inexperienced (just a lot  weaker now) but clothing can really drag you down.  If you want to just sun, go to the park.

It's made out of swimsuit material- or at least I've seen some like it that were made out of swimsuit material. It's be no heavier in the water than a regular swimsuit.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #17: April 26, 2007, 08:40:30 pm »

Have you ever tryed swimming nearly fully clothed?  It is difficult. 

I would imagine it would be...  in clothing not specifically designed with swimming in mind. Wink  I wouldn't want to try it in jeans and much of a shirt at all.  But this is stuff specifically designed to allow Muslim women to swim without compromising their religious beliefs about modesty, so...  I'd think it would be designed a bit better for the purpose than jeans and a sweater or something like that.

I have no personal experience with them, though, I'm just speculating based on the article and photographs.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: April 26, 2007, 08:46:18 pm »

I have, it's not fun, but not that difficult. One of the things I had to do in the Navy was tread water for an hour in clothes. We even learned to use our pants as flotation devices for survival Smiley

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 27, 2007, 08:17:10 pm »

I have, it's not fun, but not that difficult. One of the things I had to do in the Navy was tread water for an hour in clothes. We even learned to use our pants as flotation devices for survival Smiley

Ocelot, since you were in the navy at the time, I am assuming you were in some kind of reasonable shape or better.  In one of the first post of this thread it made a statement about designed to get Moslum women to get more exercise.  That to me implies they may not be in the best shape.  And if they have not swam much, it is another thing that would make it hard.

So I'm looking at it litterly, there are possible problems with that type of swim were.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 27, 2007, 08:20:50 pm »

Ocelot, since you were in the navy at the time, I am assuming you were in some kind of reasonable shape or better.  In one of the first post of this thread it made a statement about designed to get Moslum women to get more exercise.  That to me implies they may not be in the best shape.  And if they have not swam much, it is another thing that would make it hard.

So I'm looking at it litterly, there are possible problems with that type of swim were.

They're made to be worn while swimming. A Muslim girl in my high school wore one when we went swimming in gym class.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
RebDog
Journeyman
Last Login:December 10, 2007, 12:02:44 pm

Religion: Northern Tradition/claimed by Odin

Knowest thou how to ask? offer? send? sacrifice?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: July 03, 2007, 12:42:23 am »

I looked around their site, and I quite liked a lot of their clothes; they're modest w/o being a tent. 
            Glad I saw this thread! I haven't been able to swim in almost 3 years due to cancer (melanoma) and it wouldn't bother me to wear something like that!  I always get unusual stares wearing long sleeves and a straw hat in the summer!  I lived in the DC area for many years, had many muslim lady friends, and it was always a 50/50 mix on what they were wearing at pool parties. (ladies only, of course)   This whole thing seems like typical media exploitation

Strong is the beam that raised must be
To give an entrance to all;
Give it a ring, or grim will be
The wish it would work on thee.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)