The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 25, 2020, 03:30:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2020, 03:30:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking a bit of artistic help  (Read 2313 times)
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am
United States United States

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 15, 2009, 10:03:49 pm »

Much as I hate to admit failure, after working all weekend on what should have been a simple task, I find that my artistic ability is completely inadequate and I must ask for help from someone with actual talent

What I am trying to do is make a scaled drawing of this 1888 baluster, but the perspective and the poor quality of the 1891 photography are causing me problems

Anyone care to help?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 15, 2009, 10:54:19 pm »

Much as I hate to admit failure, after working all weekend on what should have been a simple task, I find that my artistic ability is completely inadequate and I must ask for help from someone with actual talent

What I am trying to do is make a scaled drawing of this 1888 baluster, but the perspective and the poor quality of the 1891 photography are causing me problems

Anyone care to help?
Try an architect or carpenter. 

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
Phoenix
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 15, 2009, 11:43:20 pm »

Try an architect or carpenter. 

Well, the original was done by architect George Barber of Knoxville, TN in 1888
If I thought I could purchase a drawing from him, I would gladly do so, but .......

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 16, 2009, 06:01:03 am »

Well, the original was done by architect George Barber of Knoxville, TN in 1888
If I thought I could purchase a drawing from him, I would gladly do so, but .......
There may be plans somewhere, if not the photo looks like it should follow a standard format. A architect or carpenter should be able give ideas were to look.  If it is a historic building check with the local historical society.

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 16, 2009, 10:11:40 am »

Anyone care to help?

Let me talk to Tim.  Once our computer comes home he'll have his CAD to play with and he's pretty good at this stuff.  It would be a good exercise for him to get his game back to par, eh?

We may have it TODAY!!!  *happydance*

Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 21, 2009, 02:10:09 pm »

Let me talk to Tim.  Once our computer comes home he'll have his CAD to play with and he's pretty good at this stuff.  It would be a good exercise for him to get his game back to par, eh?

We may have it TODAY!!!  *happydance*

Still waiting for the computer, but he says that he'd love to give it a go, and he's sure he can do it (need some measurements to give him a scale.  The rise and tread desired would be all he'd need, really.)

Phoenix
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 21, 2009, 09:41:25 pm »

he says that he'd love to give it a go, and he's sure he can do it (need some measurements to give him a scale.  The rise and tread desired would be all he'd need, really.)

Alrighty  Smiley
And I believe my 3-d architecture program can import .dwg format CAD files

Having spent something like 56 hours in one waiting room or another over the past two weeks, I have managed to do a sketch at a scale of 10 pixels per inch
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/dragonoake/No56stairs2.jpg

It's not perfect:
The slope looks too steep for one thing, it should have a 7" rise and 11" run and it looks like I may have reversed that  Shocked
Another thing, since I didn't have a mill work catalog handy in the waiting room, I made an educated guess on the exact dimensions of the newel and the railings

I'm debating on whether the newel needs more detailing (thinking along the lines of a double scroll near the bottom with a spear up the middle) or if I should just find a piece of mahogany with a strong arched grain and let it speak for itself
I'm also wondering if I should extend the frieze rail around the base of the newel up the curb railing

It should be noted that the baluster panels are 8" on center and do not line up with the treads; and a better picture of the scroll work in the corner is at: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/dragonoake/scroll.gif

The first riser is centered on the newel with an 1-1/4" overhang; and the hand rail is 36" from the nose of the tread (to comply with modern building codes)

You can find CAD files of the rosette and frieze rail at: http://www.whiteriver.com/

- Ronald Reagan
Phoenix
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 22, 2009, 03:56:43 am »

The slope looks too steep for one thing, it should have a 7" rise and 11" run and it looks like I may have reversed that  Shocked

OK, I fixed that; and of course, that messed up everything so I re-did it
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/dragonoake/No56stairs3.jpg

- Ronald Reagan

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)