The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 29, 2020, 12:45:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2020, 12:45:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: School-work and path intersecting  (Read 8398 times)
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather
« Topic Start: March 16, 2009, 02:01:22 am »

Does anyone ever find the work or reading they need to do for school intersecting with their path?

For example, I am taking Theatre History, so I've been doing some reading on Dionysus, and now I'm thinking I'd like to start doing devotions to Him (well, I am in theatre, so it would be logical Wink -- but moreover I just think I should do so, which may be a not-so-subtle hint).

This is probably because I have been trying to be as scholarly as possible with regards to the Gods I honor and work with, and the ways in which I do so. When I'm engrossed in academia (and have access to such a lovely library) it just seems to be a logical next step.

Anybody else find this?

Conversely, does your path enhance your school experience in any way? Do you find it influencing the choices you make with regards to classes or even majors/minors?

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 16, 2009, 07:29:37 am »

Does anyone ever find the work or reading they need to do for school intersecting with their path?

*snip*

Conversely, does your path enhance your school experience in any way? Do you find it influencing the choices you make with regards to classes or even majors/minors?

Only last Spring when I took a Greek Mythology course.  Also, the same semester I took a class called The Fundamentals of Wine in which Dionysus was mentioned in the text.

I also guess that the gods came up last semester in International Cuisine.  I wrote a paper on Greek Cuisine and mentioned the story of how Athena gave the olive tree to the people of Athens.

And that's all I can thing of at the moment.  I'll check back with you when I've taken some brain-juice.  I mean, caffeine.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 16, 2009, 12:38:30 pm »

For example, I am taking Theatre History, so I've been doing some reading on Dionysus, and now I'm thinking I'd like to start doing devotions to Him (well, I am in theatre, so it would be logical Wink -- but moreover I just think I should do so, which may be a not-so-subtle hint).

This is probably because I have been trying to be as scholarly as possible with regards to the Gods I honor and work with, and the ways in which I do so. When I'm engrossed in academia (and have access to such a lovely library) it just seems to be a logical next step.

Anybody else find this?

All the time, both as a student and as a professor.  Smiley  I became a Pagan while still in high school, and that shaped many of my academic choices -- I did religious studies and classics as an undergrad, and folklore for my MA, specifically because I was interested in how those fields could tie in or enhance my spirituality (well, that, and they're fascinating in and of themselves).  For my doctorate, I specialized in kid lit and folklore, and became very interested in Pagan lit (fiction and non-fiction) for teens, and eventually plan to write a book on the topic.   

More broadly, I'm a Hermes follower, and he is ALL about communication; as a professor, my job is not just to know stuff, but to *transmit* knowledge -- I can't hoard knowledge, but need to communicate it to others.  So, in a sense, all my teaching is an act of devotion to Hermes.
redbaron998
Journeyman
Last Login:August 01, 2009, 12:36:11 am

Religion: Odinist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 16, 2009, 02:48:14 pm »

A intresting observation, I have not had any line ups quite so clear, but thats still pretty neat that yall are seeing these connections. I know when I start teaching (Hist Ed Major) my beliefs will probably rub off when I talk abuot Pre-Christian civilisation in more detail than most do.

To Teach is to Learn, to Learn is to Teach
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 17, 2009, 12:07:17 am »

Not really.  I am an English Major, but nothing I do really conicides with my spiritual path.  The only connection would by my creative writing class, but I really don't do much spiritual writing.  This may change when I transfer to another school for my BA/MA, but right now my college is too small. 

*Síocháin*
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather
« Reply #5: March 18, 2009, 03:26:12 am »

More broadly, I'm a Hermes follower, and he is ALL about communication; as a professor, my job is not just to know stuff, but to *transmit* knowledge -- I can't hoard knowledge, but need to communicate it to others.  So, in a sense, all my teaching is an act of devotion to Hermes.

This (the bolded bit) sort of lobbed a lightbulb in my direction when I read it, and I've been letting it percolate since.

I suppose I never really consciously realized it before, but a lot of my activities are sort of devotions -- even to gods I haven't started working with yet. The way I can tell, I guess, is the feeling that those activities give me -- there is a very specific physio-emotional feeling I get when I'm doing something right, or when I stumble onto something true, wrt my spirituality/religion. I get that feeling during these activities at times. I think those are the moments I'm truly connected with the gods.

I remember around the time I joined TC (so around 2 years ago -- doesn't seem that long!) I had posted somewhere else about how Theatre and Film and Writing and Sex were all my religion, but I couldn't put it into words any better than that (and was shot down quite a bit for saying so in the first place). I think I just now figured out what the heck it was I was trying to say: when I participate in those activities is when I am most connected with the gods, and those things are devotional, in a way.

Which is why it makes sense that I feel my path intersects with my schoolwork at times -- when I'm learning about these things it feels right.

Biology too, and most of all -- though I'm not sure what connection is there. I just know that when I study biology it reaffirms my faith.

Gods, I'm glad you posted. Some things are suddenly clear that were fuzzy before. Thank you.

Of course, as it goes with this stuff, I now have more questions.  Cheesy

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
firefly124
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2011, 05:35:40 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: firefly124

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 18, 2009, 12:42:52 pm »

I'd say my path has influenced my career and subsequent schooling choices and vice versa.  As the two main Deities I worship are Kwan Yin and Apollo, and I'm working in health care and in nursing school, it just seems kind of inevitable, rather like what you're talking about in terms of being in theatre and feeling a tug to Dionysus.  For one recent example, Apollo handed me some homework a few weeks ago to write a brief prayer to Him for before each time I go to clinical.  (I was asking for help half the time anyway, He just wanted me to pull together something a bit less half-assed than "Eek!  I'm supposed to do what?  Help!" *g*)

"[L]ive as though the world were what it should be, to show it what it can be." -- Angel, "Deep Down"
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 18, 2009, 03:47:49 pm »

Not really.  I am an English Major, but nothing I do really conicides with my spiritual path.  The only connection would by my creative writing class, but I really don't do much spiritual writing.  This may change when I transfer to another school for my BA/MA, but right now my college is too small. 

Speaking as an English professor Cheesy , there are lots of ways you can hook up your spirituality with the study of literature, if you so choose; if you don't talk about it in class, you can always write research papers, etc., on a pagan-related topic.  For, say, Victorian lit, you have a full-blown pagan revival, with people like Swinburne, Beardsley, and Grahame; this revival continued into the early part of the 20th century, with Forster, Lawrence, Eliot, Graves, and others.  Medieval and Renaissance lit had witches and fairies, the 18th century had Neoclassicism, and so on and so forth.  There are a LOT of ways to study paganisms/witchcraft and literature, if you're keen on it.       
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 20, 2009, 12:48:36 am »

Speaking as an English professor Cheesy , there are lots of ways you can hook up your spirituality with the study of literature, if you so choose; if you don't talk about it in class, you can always write research papers, etc., on a pagan-related topic.  For, say, Victorian lit, you have a full-blown pagan revival, with people like Swinburne, Beardsley, and Grahame; this revival continued into the early part of the 20th century, with Forster, Lawrence, Eliot, Graves, and others.  Medieval and Renaissance lit had witches and fairies, the 18th century had Neoclassicism, and so on and so forth.  There are a LOT of ways to study paganisms/witchcraft and literature, if you're keen on it.       

Thanks for the tips, I think my college maybe too small for some of those writers.  Maybe when I transfer to a university, but in the meantime, I will be perusing them on my own Smiley

*Síocháin*
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 11, 2009, 01:52:18 pm »

I'm doing a double major in Religion and Classical Civilization, so... yes  Cheesy
RyanCSmith
Journeyman
Last Login:October 13, 2009, 06:59:43 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 20, 2009, 07:11:07 pm »

Got my BA in Early Medieval History so very much yes.  Was quite fun learning more in-depth about pre-Christian Scandinavia and Anglo-Saxon England.
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 20, 2009, 11:17:20 pm »

Slightly O/T but I'm curious: how different is this from Athena's wisdom remit? Do the two overlap or are they about different kinds of knowledge?

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: August 21, 2009, 03:06:10 pm »

Slightly O/T but I'm curious: how different is this from Athena's wisdom remit? Do the two overlap or are they about different kinds of knowledge?

I think they overlap, but Hermes is very much a *communication* god.  Athena is about knowledge, but Hermes is about the *circulation* of knowledge.  (Not that Athena's opposed to that, AFAIK, but circulation and communication are so, so, strongly associated with Hermes.)  I think any intellectual endeavor can easily fall under either Athena's or Hermes' remit, but when it's about communication too, it's more Hermes' bag.  (The specific areas of knowledge associated with each of them rather reflect this:  Athena:  war, handicrafts; Hermes:  magic, politics, finance.)  This is more UPG, but I've always had a sense that Athena has a more "knowledge for knowledge's sake" slant than Hermes does. 
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:May 26, 2020, 06:18:11 am

TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: August 21, 2009, 05:48:22 pm »

This is more UPG, but I've always had a sense that Athena has a more "knowledge for knowledge's sake" slant than Hermes does. 

Athena is definitely about knowledge for knowledge's sake in my experience. She not at all opposed to spreading/communicating knowledge, but that's not as important as acquiring it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Tanis
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 03, 2009, 11:23:41 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 25, 2009, 06:45:05 pm »

Actually as a history major I find that my path runs all through my classes. We read ancient texts such as Homer's Odyssey and Illiad and other ancient scholars. Many of them mention the gods in them somewhere. I also remember reading part of the Apocrypha right after reading part of the Bible. It was very interesting to look at both texts and then look at my own beliefs and see the similarities and differences. Now I've never felt drawn to a particular god by my studies, but sometimes I do have to gag myself during class for fear of making everyone upset with me.

Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)