The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 20, 2021, 07:12:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 07:12:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Earth Magic a seasonal guide to the old religion by Margaret McArthur  (Read 10017 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: March 27, 2009, 05:26:38 pm »

I fondly hope to get a Masters degree someday studying the relationships between feminism, paganism, and goddess worship.

Fascinating topic!

Are there (reliable) books out there on this?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Black0lSun
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 25, 2011, 06:40:19 pm

Religion: Agnostic/inlimbo

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 27, 2009, 07:39:40 pm »

Fascinating topic!

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler talks a little about it, but not in major detail, just from his experiences (or her's can't remember if the auther is a dude or a chic D: ). I liked the book. It's all mostly on neo-paganism I think.

Expect the unexpected.. OMG A NINJA!
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: March 28, 2009, 12:18:52 am »

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler talks a little about it, but not in major detail, just from his experiences (or her's can't remember if the auther is a dude or a chic D: ). I liked the book. It's all mostly on neo-paganism I think.

Margot Adler is a her.   Smiley   http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=2100166

It's been years -- well, decades really -- since I read Drawing Down the Moon.  And I think it's been undated since then.  Does the newer version go into the relationship of paganism and feminism?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 28, 2009, 01:43:06 am »

She's a correspondent on National Public Radio.

Brina
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 28, 2009, 03:21:14 am »

I fondly hope to get a Masters degree someday studying the relationships between feminism, paganism, and goddess worship.

The California Institute of Integral Studies has a Women's Spirituality program (both an MA and a PhD), though I can't vouch for its quality, never having attended. Smiley I do know that the school is incredibly pagan-friendly, and (in its original incarnation as the American Academy of Asian Studies) was one of the major parts of the huge cultural movement in the 50s and 60s in the Bay Area.

(Hope this doesn't sound too much like a plug; my mom attends the school online, getting her PhD, and the time I spent at the campus was pretty cool. Like I said, though, I don't know what the Women's Spirituality program is like. Also not sure of your location, so it may be totally wrong for you. Thought I'd mention it though.)

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 28, 2009, 04:20:18 am »

I totally agree with your opinion about books that romanticize women's status in early Celtic culture, but I'm not sure I would describe this author's portrayal as proto-feminist utopia.

Condren does more than a little romanticizing.  As well as some outright speculating about the roles of women in pre-Christian Celtic societies, and how the societies behaved when women were allegedly "in charge".  That fact that she's never published any scholarly work about the Celts (female or otherwise) makes me even more dubious.  There simply isn't much evidence to support many of the conclusions in this book.

Brina
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: March 28, 2009, 05:17:25 am »

Condren does more than a little romanticizing. 

Thanks for the review.  I read almost everything about the Celts with a generous helping of salt, but it's really good to have more specific ideas of what to watch out for.

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 02, 2009, 08:12:09 pm »

Fascinating topic!

If there are, I haven't seen any. I'm reading a book about by Cynthia Eller about the matriarchal utopia myth: The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory: Why An Invented Past Will Not Give Women a Future

The idea has really sprang out of reading Starhawk and poking around some Goddess spirituality forums. There's a nice strong current of third-wave feminism there. You might try looking into early Dianic writings by Z Budapest and her contemporaries, but that would really be second-wave feminism since we're talking mid-70s to mid-80s on that.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 02, 2009, 10:19:20 pm »

Margot Adler is a her.   Smiley   http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=2100166

It's been years -- well, decades really -- since I read Drawing Down the Moon.  And I think it's been undated since then.  Does the newer version go into the relationship of paganism and feminism?

Yes. I think the most recent was sometime this decade (03 I think?). I have the most recent copy and there is a section where she talks with feminist pagans and Reclaiming pagans. I think I've mentioned it before on here but when she interviews some of them it terrifies me because they talk about wanting to take over and have everyone worship the Goddess and how happy everyone will be because patriarchy is teh evulz. Bad shivers.  Sad

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Black0lSun
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 25, 2011, 06:40:19 pm

Religion: Agnostic/inlimbo

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 10, 2009, 05:47:24 pm »

Sad I get genders mixed up when I read from authors. So sorry. I thought that at first.. I don't know what made me think the author was a dude. *bows* My mistake.

Expect the unexpected.. OMG A NINJA!
yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 10, 2009, 07:00:07 pm »

Margot Adler is a her.

Threadjack:  I can't be the only one who gets a little giddy when she anchors a segment on NPR, right?  <blushes warmly>

Brina
Margaret McArthur
Last Login:January 01, 2015, 07:27:02 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Old Craft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: July 09, 2009, 06:12:22 pm »

I'm not Wiccan, I don't do magic, and I haven't read this book.  But I wanted to reply because the title raised a big ol' red flag for me.  I just want to caution you to read anything claiming to have the goods on "the Old Religion" with a huge bag of salt.  You can find numerous threads here in which people far more knowledgeable than I explain just what's wrong with claims regarding religious practices or beliefs that have survived through the ages, particularly in Europe and particularly about witchcraft.

The title of the book you mention just rang those bells for me.

Good evening Moon Ivy
After being off the internet for several years I just had to repy to this thread after a fellow Old Craft follower informed me of it
Thirty years ago I was intiated in the New Forest in hampshire into a family of 'old Crafters'.Old Craft tend to use the term family rather than covern.
The old craft survived in the older and less populated areas
I stiill practise and teach the old ways in the new forest there is an old saying in England the proof of the pudding is in the eating so if you are ever in evening I am more than happy to show you how old craft differs from modern wiccan.The reason I wrote the book was that there was not another book like it at the time.
I am happy to ask any questions about the subject.
I have worked as a priestess,high priestess and have been an elder for 15 years.

old craft is as old craft does
Margeret
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:29:11 pm by Margaret McArthur, Reason: my familiar pressed the button too early » Logged
merlin the wise
Last Login:July 31, 2009, 05:20:25 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Oldcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: July 11, 2009, 03:12:44 pm »

Read the book and make ypur own mind up! Then come to the UK and experience the forces present in the New Forest. Oldcraft has survived. We do exist and we still operate. Some of us count ourselves very lucky to actually study under Margaret McArthur today.
Do not dismiss the idea of non-survival of evidence. Whatever has been said on this forum and in books and other media, there are still many unanswered questions about the survival of the Old Religion. Oldcraft practioners are not niave, we are well aware of the current situation, but I repeat there is a great deal of evidence that indicates some form of survival. It cannot definately be proven that it did not survive. I suggest that you research into the folklore of the areas of the UK where the Old Reliogion best survived. It is in the folklore that you will find the answer.
Read Ronald Hutton's book and although he comes to no definite conclusion, whilst doubting the continuity, he does say that much more research needs to be done, before the continuity debate can be ended with any certainty.
Meanwhile just get on with it. Your heart will lead you in the right direction if your Gods will it so.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: July 11, 2009, 05:23:51 pm »

Read the book and make ypur own mind up!

Welcome to TC!  Please quote a part the message you are replying to as our Quoting Guidelines require.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.