The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 12, 2020, 06:01:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 12, 2020, 06:01:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Nature of Brighid  (Read 11796 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: March 16, 2009, 04:30:44 pm »

Hi, Cill-mates, and anyone else interested in this post.

I've been thinking a lot about the nature of Brighid -- that is, *what* She is, as opposed to *who* she is.  I'm not really sure why I've been thinking about this.  I recently had a bit of crisis of faith, but I think I've come through that now.

I've had a couple of insights (for want of a better word) during meditations lately.  Notably, the message from Her that "I *am* you.  And you are me.  And we are so much more."  And a similar concept another time, although I can't quite remember how that was phrased --if it was even phrased in words at all. 

I'm trying to wrap my brain around the idea that Brighid is both within me and part of me AND separate and independent from me. 

Does that mean I have taken an external seed or idea or something and put part of myself into it to create a new Being that is not the same as me or Her?  That sounds a lot like pregnancy and birth.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Is the Brighid I experience the same "person" as the Brighid you experience?  Or do we each have our own version?

Is She a force, rather than a "Being"?  If so, what force(s)?

And what do these questions (and their answers  Wink ) mean to how I/we worship Her?

I seem to be particularly uncomfortable with the idea that Brighid might somehow be a part of me/us, but I'm not sure why.  I'm not even sure how to formulate my questions.  Cheesy

But I *am* sure that somebody else has thought about some of this.   Wink

Any thoughts on any of this?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 16, 2009, 04:36:35 pm »

I seem to be particularly uncomfortable with the idea that Brighid might somehow be a part of me/us, but I'm not sure why.  I'm not even sure how to formulate my questions.  Cheesy

actually, that concept is one of the core Mysteries, for lack of better words, of FlameKeeping.

I should write about it more. Cheesy

But I believe that the gods *move in* a piece of themselves to those they tap to be their hands and eyes.  There's still more of them not-in than inside, and they can only do so with our permission.  But there's a synergy there that's more than individual pieces.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 16, 2009, 10:14:27 pm »

I'm trying to wrap my brain around the idea that Brighid is both within me and part of me AND separate and independent from me. 

Not surprisingly, I've thought about this. And it probably has something a little to do with what Shad about Flamekeeping, or at least it sounds like it. It may be what may is the core mystery of my spirituality, and my thought-processes:

(from a chat with a friend):

"We're..... I guess a part of each other. I use the metaphor of the lantern a lot in describing it. I'm her lantern, she's my light.
It's kind of the closest thing I can get to when I try to describe it."

I know you've heard it before, but since I don't have the energy to reply at length, that's about all I can give. I felt this needed a response from me though, particularly as it's my shift tonight for another cill.  Smiley

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
savatage
Journeyman
Last Login:February 25, 2015, 02:18:02 am
Australia Australia

Religion: working on it

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 17, 2009, 04:02:57 am »

"We're..... I guess a part of each other. I use the metaphor of the lantern a lot in describing it. I'm her lantern, she's my light.

i have to agree with that metaphore. although i haven't picked a path i have done a lot of reading, and from the readings i've done in conjunction with my own experiences it just makes sense that you deity of choice can reside within and without you. imo, its similar to how someone may see something divine in a tree, or a beautiful sunset, or even in a ravaging storm...

as i said, this is just my opinion...
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 17, 2009, 02:36:44 pm »

Hi, Cill-mates, and anyone else interested in this post.

I've been thinking a lot about the nature of Brighid -- that is, *what* She is, as opposed to *who* she is.  I'm not really sure why I've been thinking about this.  I recently had a bit of crisis of faith, but I think I've come through that now.

Brighid within and Brighid without...

Christianity has a similar concept as Christ lives within us and yet exists beyond us.  I'm not sure if that's what you are getting at, though. 

I think everyone has their own opinions of the Gods, as Gods show themselves as relevent to the believer, but somethings remain the same.  Meaning, you and I see Brighid differently, She attends to us in different ways, but there are somethings we do agree on and know that what we see is Her. 

So maybe that's it?  Brighid within is your idea of Her (what She reveals to you) and Brighid without is simply everything She is?

*Síocháin*
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 17, 2009, 06:53:04 pm »

I believe that the gods *move in* a piece of themselves to those they tap to be their hands and eyes.  There's still more of them not-in than inside, and they can only do so with our permission.  But there's a synergy there that's more than individual pieces.

Does that mean that we are the physical manifestations of the gods?  Or are we *one piece* of their physical manifestations?  If either of these options, do the gods have additional manifestations?  Maybe as forces of nature?  Something else?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 17, 2009, 07:03:19 pm »

I think you're saying that we all (those of us with a relationship with Brighid, and using Brighid as an example of a circumstance that could apply equally to other gods) have bits of Brighid in us?  How are your and my Brighid bits the same and/or different?  If you and Brighid are a part of each other, does my relationship with Brighid include the part of Brighid that is also part of you, and vice versa?  IOW, are there actually a bunch of versions of Brighid running around?  Or are all the pieces of Brighid that are parts of various humans and all the pieces of various humans that are parts of Brighid integrated somehow?

When you say you are Her lantern and She is your light (I love that metaphor, BTW -- it's very poetic and beautiful), does that mean that you contain and amplify Her, as a lantern contains and amplifies the flame?

Do you feel that Brighid is also more than the the parts that interact with humans?  IOW, is there sort of a "panentheist" way of looking at this -- Brighid and we are part of each other, AND the the whole is greater than sum of the parts, AND there is a part of Brighid that is more than all that?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 17, 2009, 07:49:18 pm »

Does that mean that we are the physical manifestations of the gods?  Or are we *one piece* of their physical manifestations?  If either of these options, do the gods have additional manifestations?  Maybe as forces of nature?  Something else?

I think I'd rather say it as we HOST a piece of their physical manifestation - we are still our own selves, as well.  We don't lose that when we start to host a piece of a god.

And yes, a god can have multiple physical manifestations.  AND we are ALL pieces of the Universe made manifest.

Confused yet?  I am.

folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 17, 2009, 09:13:20 pm »

Is the Brighid I experience the same "person" as the Brighid you experience?  Or do we each have our own version?

And what do these questions (and their answers  Wink ) mean to how I/we worship Her?

You know, even as a Christian I always kind of felt weird about God being *in* me.  I dunno, it just didn't set well with me and it still doesn't.  I prefer to think of Brighid as being her own entity, but having an influence on me.  It's kind of like a good friend...although not the same, necessarily, but in this instance it is.  I think of my friends as being a part of my life, my close friends so much a part that they have actually influenced who I am and how I think and what I do.  We are intertwined, and sometimes very closely, but we are still separate...still our own persons. 

By the same token, I know that I have friends who have other friends whom I don't even know.  It would be kind of narcissistic to think that they could not potentially be as intertwined with those people as they are with me, but on different levels, in different ways.  My best friend, for example, loves horses, works around them daily, writes about them, takes professional pictures of them.  She's my closest friend in the whole wide world, but I hate horses.  We don't talk much horse, but we're intimately connected on different planes.  I have to accept that she's also intimately connected with other people on the "horse plane".   So, I believe that Brighid speaks to me personally based on what she expects from *me* and on what we have in common.  She speaks to other people about completely different things.
Sylvan
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2011, 08:37:24 am

Religion: Currently reevaluating

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 18, 2009, 01:10:54 am »

I've been thinking about some of the above quite a lot lately, and not only with respect to Brighid.  My belief system has some panentheistic elements, but I've been looking into hard polytheism of late.  The more I think about it the more I feel that the gods are distinct beings that exist in a way(s) that we can't fully comprehend but of which we can catch the occasional glimpse.  My devotion to Brighid is still in its nascent stages, but over the years I've developed a relationship with Rhiannon that has generally given me the feeling that she exists individually as a being.

There's a particular presence that I can identify as "Rhiannon."  I don't encounter it every time that I do a ritual, offer a prayer, etc. but it is very distinct and I know it when I feel it.  Again, my relationship with Brighid is still very new, but thus far everything to do with her has started to take on its own character.  When I compare the two I know, for myself, that Rhiannon and Brighid are quite distinct from me and from each other.  But that is of course completely subjective.  It may be that I'm creating two different sets of experiences for myself when I invoke those names.  However, without ruling out that possibility entirely, I don't personally think that this is the case.

With that having been said, my sense of things would lead me to believe that the Brighid I'm experiencing is the same Brighid that you're experiencing.  I can't verify that but it does "feel" true to me.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: March 18, 2009, 07:30:12 pm »

I prefer to think of Brighid as being her own entity, but having an influence on me.  It's kind of like a good friend...although not the same, necessarily, but in this instance it is.  I think of my friends as being a part of my life, my close friends so much a part that they have actually influenced who I am and how I think and what I do.  We are intertwined, and sometimes very closely, but we are still separate...still our own persons.

I feel that the gods are distinct beings that exist in a way(s) that we can't fully comprehend but of which we can catch the occasional glimpse.
*snip*
With that having been said, my sense of things would lead me to believe that the Brighid I'm experiencing is the same Brighid that you're experiencing.

This is a really difficult topic for me right now, for some reason.  Not sure why...

I *think* I'm closer to the quotes above than to the idea that somehow the gods are within us.  Intellectually, at least.  The problem is that I can't reconcile this intellectual "belief" with the idea I received in meditation that "I am you.  And you are me.  And we are so much more."

Maybe I'm overthinking this and trying to interpret that literally instead of metaphorically.

Gah!  Still working on this...   Undecided

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: March 18, 2009, 08:06:02 pm »

This is a really difficult topic for me right now, for some reason.  Not sure why...

I *think* I'm closer to the quotes above than to the idea that somehow the gods are within us.  Intellectually, at least.  The problem is that I can't reconcile this intellectual "belief" with the idea I received in meditation that "I am you.  And you are me.  And we are so much more."

Maybe I'm overthinking this and trying to interpret that literally instead of metaphorically.

Gah!  Still working on this...   Undecided

I've a set of links to essays for you.  I'm not sure they help, but they feel right.

or, really, about HALF of what I've got under Divine Relations, but that would take forever. Cheesy

http://www.flamekeeping.org/?p=265

http://www.flamekeeping.org/?p=264

http://www.flamekeeping.org/?p=259

http://www.flamekeeping.org/?p=212

May they help.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: March 18, 2009, 11:50:12 pm »

Thanks, Shad!!

I will read them later tonight (unless I have to give Daughter1 her laptop back... Sad )

SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: March 19, 2009, 07:12:41 am »

I don't know that it's just metaphoric, but it seems to me that it's poetic/mythic truth rather than literal truth.

I get something similar with tM; the "I am you, and you are me" really resonates for me ("I am hers; I am her" - isn't that the translation of what's on Kasmira's avatar, or am I confused?).  It doesn't bother me, though, because it also feels like it doesn't infringe on my existence as a discrete, sovereign individual, or hers - if anything, it underlines and enhances it.  Which seems contradictory, but there it is, and I don't think I can explain better (yet).

(With the Chaotic Canine, it's also sort of similar, but not as much - I'm his, he's mine, but only occasionally am I him, or him me.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 19, 2009, 09:29:54 am »

I don't know that it's just metaphoric, but it seems to me that it's poetic/mythic truth rather than literal truth.

I get something similar with tM; the "I am you, and you are me" really resonates for me ("I am hers; I am her" - isn't that the translation of what's on Kasmira's avatar, or am I confused?).  It doesn't bother me, though, because it also feels like it doesn't infringe on my existence as a discrete, sovereign individual, or hers - if anything, it underlines and enhances it.  Which seems contradictory, but there it is, and I don't think I can explain better (yet).

(With the Chaotic Canine, it's also sort of similar, but not as much - I'm his, he's mine, but only occasionally am I him, or him me.)

Sunflower

Namaste, I think, says it well. 

I've always thought that the gods we most resonate with are those whose divine self is similarly tuned.  They share our personal harmonics, and those we work with, but aren't as close to, harmonize with us, while they don't necessarily match.  Compliments and contrasts of the Divine forces- and while I strongly resonate with Bridget and a few others, it doesn't take anything away from my own individuality or theirs. 

All are one.  We are all a part of One, yet we're also all one, individual and distinct.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)