The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 18, 2020, 03:34:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 03:34:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: A question on Hathor  (Read 4198 times)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Topic Start: April 24, 2007, 12:44:52 pm »

Hi,

I hope I'm in the right folder for this. But putting it in the special interesst group seemed wrong, cos I don't think I need to go to deep into the kemetic background for this.

I work often with the Goddess Oracle and so it hapens from time to time that a certain goddess 'walks' in for a while.

After getting the 'Hathor' card twice in quite a short time, I feel I should look into that a little further, meaning for me: putting the card up for a kind of temporary altar and trying to integrate the principle it shows.

What would be an approriate offering for Hathor?
Since yesterday 'Honey' keeps coming to my mind and thinking about the pleasure aspect I thought tonight: 'if they would have had chocolate then, that would've been just a Hathor-thing'  Grin

Oh and because I've learned from the threads on the cauldron that the names one knows for the egyptian gods are not the 'real' ones I'd like to learn how's it with Hathor?

Well, that's about it - thanks  Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: April 24, 2007, 12:51:38 pm »

I hope I'm in the right folder for this. But putting it in the special interesst group seemed wrong, cos I don't think I need to go to deep into the kemetic background for this.

Not a bad folder for it, but I think it'll be a little easier for people to find in the "Gods, Goddesses and Mythology" folder, so I'm going to move it there.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 24, 2007, 12:54:25 pm »

Since yesterday 'Honey' keeps coming to my mind and thinking about the pleasure aspect I thought tonight: 'if they would have had chocolate then, that would've been just a Hathor-thing'  Grin

For consumable offerings, I tend to offer Her milk with rum (one of Her titles is 'the Lady of Intoxication' or 'Drunkenness').  I can't imagine She'd turn down honey, either, especially given that it's golden in colour.

http://lilairen.livejournal.com/244497.html is some of my writing about Her; you might find it useful to get a solid handle on how She is.

Oh and because I've learned from the threads on the cauldron that the names one knows for the egyptian gods are not the 'real' ones I'd like to learn how's it with Hathor?

Depending on how one unpacks the glyphs:  Het-Heru, Het-herut, Het-hert, Hetharu ... I tend to pull whichever spelling is on the top of the stack somewhat haphazardly when referring to Mum.  Her name means 'House of Heru (Horus)' and is a reference to Her status as a sky goddess.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #3: April 24, 2007, 01:09:17 pm »

Not a bad folder for it, but I think it'll be a little easier for people to find in the "Gods, Goddesses and Mythology" folder, so I'm going to move it there.  Smiley

Of course, could've thought of it, thanks Star  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #4: April 24, 2007, 01:11:22 pm »

For consumable offerings, I tend to offer Her milk with rum (one of Her titles is 'the Lady of Intoxication' or 'Drunkenness').  I can't imagine She'd turn down honey, either, especially given that it's golden in colour.
http://lilairen.livejournal.com/244497.html is some of my writing about Her; you might find it useful to get a solid handle on how She is.
Depending on how one unpacks the glyphs:  Het-Heru, Het-herut, Het-hert, Hetharu ... I tend to pull whichever spelling is on the top of the stack somewhat haphazardly when referring to Mum.  Her name means 'House of Heru (Horus)' and is a reference to Her status as a sky goddess.

Hey, thanks a lot, that helps!  Kiss
*off to read the link*

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 24, 2007, 01:13:36 pm »

Hey, thanks a lot, that helps!  Kiss

Always happy to babble about Mum. Wink

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 24, 2007, 01:39:24 pm »

Hi,

I work often with the Goddess Oracle and so it hapens from time to time that a certain goddess 'walks' in for a while.

After getting the 'Hathor' card twice in quite a short time, I feel I should look into that a little further, meaning for me: putting the card up for a kind of temporary altar and trying to integrate the principle it shows.

Well, that's about it - thanks  Wink

I know that Aset likes milk with drops of honey in it as an offering.  I think Hethert might as well.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #7: April 28, 2007, 01:50:14 pm »

Thanks for the answers.

I wanted to tell what you happend when I wanted to draw another goddess-card the other day...

I shuffled the deck, the cards slipped and I saw the Oya-Card. Put all back togheter shuffled again and got the Isis-Card - just when I wanted to put all the cards back togheter, the deck slipped again and two other cards fell out: Oshun and have a guess - yes Hathor. Again.

Usually I'm not that clumsy.

Now all four cards lie on my altar and I try to figure out what they want. That'll take sometime I guess  Cheesy

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 29, 2007, 02:48:13 am »

Thanks for the answers.

I wanted to tell what you happend when I wanted to draw another goddess-card the other day...

I shuffled the deck, the cards slipped and I saw the Oya-Card. Put all back togheter shuffled again and got the Isis-Card - just when I wanted to put all the cards back togheter, the deck slipped again and two other cards fell out: Oshun and have a guess - yes Hathor. Again.

Usually I'm not that clumsy.

Now all four cards lie on my altar and I try to figure out what they want. That'll take sometime I guess  Cheesy

Ohh.  Oya and Oshun!  I am a devotee of both of them.  Which deck are you using? 

I know you didn't ask for this, but a good site on Hethert is http://www.hethert.org

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #9: April 29, 2007, 06:28:24 am »

Ohh.  Oya and Oshun!  I am a devotee of both of them.  Which deck are you using? 
I know you didn't ask for this, but a good site on Hethert is http://www.hethert.org

Thanks, information is always very welcome  Smiley

I use the Godess Oracle http://www.hranajanto.com/goddessgallery/gds-n.shtml

Very beautiful and often very directly to the core of the problem.
Though sometimes it can be difficult to see, if the card means the Goddess herself it depicts or if it means just the principle that is symbolized by it. Both can happen.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)