The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 06:38:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 06:38:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wood carving for Ostara  (Read 2368 times)
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm
United States United States

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 21, 2009, 02:08:50 pm »

I began this bowl yesterday and finished it today- about three hours total carving time. 

http://matrinka69.livejournal.com/387579.html

I'll keep myself from typing too much- click the link!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 21, 2009, 04:53:18 pm »

I'll keep myself from typing too much- click the link!

It looks nice.  What type of wood is it?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 21, 2009, 07:31:52 pm »

It looks nice.  What type of wood is it?

This is swamp oak.  It's one of the trees we've cut to clear our new house site.  I'm not sure how old that tree was, but it was in the 40-60 year range, and dying back badly so even had it not been right where we're building, it would have come down for safety.  We've got another tree to come down for safety reasons, too.  It is covered with bolls, and I'll be gathering as many as I can to carve.

I just brought home a piece of wood to make an altar table from- Osage orange.  That should be pretty.  It's yellow wood.  I have to age this piece carefully, as it has a central crack I'm no doubt going to have to do some work to repair.  I'll probably have to cut dovetails to rejoin the pieces in the end, as I'm pretty sure it is going to cleave itself in two during the drying process.  It's hardwood, and the tree is 40 years old, but had to come down.  It was trying to kill Mom every year.  She's nearly been brained by falling fruits (they're big, heavy things) and tripped a dozen times on the hidden ones in the grass, so down it finally came.  I hovered and got our friend who was doing the cutting to slice me off a nice piece.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 22, 2009, 08:25:03 am »

This is swamp oak.

It really has character. I like it.

I just brought home a piece of wood to make an altar table from- Osage orange.  That should be pretty.  It's yellow wood.

It should be pretty. I hope it does split on you as it dries, but if it already has a crack you will really have to baby it -- and probably have luck on your side too.

It was trying to kill Mom every year.  She's nearly been brained by falling fruits (they're big, heavy things) and tripped a dozen times on the hidden ones in the grass, so down it finally came.  I hovered and got our friend who was doing the cutting to slice me off a nice piece.

Sadly, trees like that need to be way out in the yard -- not on well-traveled paths.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Matrinka
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 22, 2009, 09:36:15 am »

It really has character. I like it.

It should be pretty. I hope it does split on you as it dries, but if it already has a crack you will really have to baby it -- and probably have luck on your side too.

Sadly, trees like that need to be way out in the yard -- not on well-traveled paths.

I have a handful of bolls aging on the railing.  They will keep my hands busy in the evenings for a while.

The Osage orange almost surely will split.  But, that'll give me an opportunity to work on my joinery skills, so that's okay.  Can't have it be too easy or I will get bored with the work.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)