The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2019, 10:55:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 10:55:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pagan Vs. Neo-pagan?  (Read 4531 times)
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 21, 2009, 02:36:35 pm »

I would like to know the difference between the term Pagan and Neopagan and how is it differentiated? Thank you for any help...

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 17, 2019, 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 21, 2009, 05:26:57 pm »

I would like to know the difference between the term Pagan and Neopagan and how is it differentiated? Thank you for any help...

Sadly, there really isn't a standard definition of "Pagan" let alone of "Neo-Pagan" -- not even within the Pagan/Neo-Pagan community.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 21, 2009, 06:36:39 pm »

Either term works when you're talking about modern practitioners of pagan religions.  I've seen a few recon types get snippy if you call reconstructed religions "Neo-Paganism," but recon religions are still modern revivals, and significantly different from their historical ancestors. 
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2019, 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 22, 2009, 08:49:06 am »

Either term works when you're talking about modern practitioners of pagan religions.  I've seen a few recon types get snippy if you call reconstructed religions "Neo-Paganism," but recon religions are still modern revivals, and significantly different from their historical ancestors. 
I think, though, that a case can be made that reconstructionism, while an offshoot of the neoPagan movement, is no longer part of the movement; dropping the neo- for that reason (and saying something like "modern Pagan" when there's a need to distinguish from ancient practices) strikes me as reasonable.  OTOH, a case could also be made that it's no longer meaningful to speak of "the neoPagan movement".

Mostly - to address the OP - "P/pagan" is simply shorter/easier than saying "neoPagan" all the time when referring to modern practitioners of pagan religions.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
soulfire
Journeyman
Last Login:December 06, 2010, 02:51:14 pm

Religion: Practical Witch, Healer

Dance Anyway!

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 22, 2009, 12:34:32 pm »

<snip>

Mostly - to address the OP - "P/pagan" is simply shorter/easier than saying "neoPagan" all the time when referring to modern practitioners of pagan religions.

Sunflower

Thank you for everyone's replies.  It helps to know why I was confused.  I've just been calling myself pagan, but an acquaintance called herself a 'neopagan' the other day and it raised the mental ?! for me.  She is a solitary Wiccan whereas my path is different so I wondered if there was a distinction there.

**Please PRAY FOR ME.  I'm in the fight of my life right now. Thank you ~SF/K
Play_Dough
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 30, 2009, 07:56:22 pm

Religion: yes!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 29, 2009, 08:35:03 pm »

The primary difference between 'Pagan' and 'Neo-pagan' is accessories and the fact that the original 'Pagans' had no idea that they were, in fact, Pagans.

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 29, 2009, 09:49:42 pm »

The primary difference between 'Pagan' and 'Neo-pagan' is accessories and the fact that the original 'Pagans' had no idea that they were, in fact, Pagans.

*Raises eyebrow* That's an interesting conclusion you've made there, care to reveal how you came to it?

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 17, 2019, 11:13:29 am

TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 30, 2009, 08:02:58 am »

The primary difference between 'Pagan' and 'Neo-pagan' is accessories....

What do you mean?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 30, 2009, 08:50:33 am »

What do you mean?

I'm not Play-Dough, but I'm assume what is meant is that the original pagans did not refer to themselves as pagan nor would they likely recognize the term whereas neo-pagans know and use the term pagan. This also kinda relates to the fact that original pagans would not view themselves as a group (or even know about other 'pagan' religions to be grouped with) and neo-pagans view themselves as a kinda sorta ish group, but this is extrapolating on the original point. I may be wrong here, but that was my take of what was being said.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: March 30, 2009, 08:54:25 am »

I'm not Play-Dough, but I'm assume what is meant is that the original pagans did not refer to themselves as pagan nor would they likely recognize the term whereas neo-pagans know and use the term pagan. This also kinda relates to the fact that original pagans would not view themselves as a group (or even know about other 'pagan' religions to be grouped with) and neo-pagans view themselves as a kinda sorta ish group, but this is extrapolating on the original point. I may be wrong here, but that was my take of what was being said.

I may just not be quite awake yet, but...  I'm not seeing the connection between this and "accessories", which is what Randall asked about.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 30, 2009, 09:00:01 am »

I may just not be quite awake yet, but...  I'm not seeing the connection between this and "accessories", which is what Randall asked about.

La dee da, apparently I am significantly less awake than you... ignore me. I should really instate a 'no posting till after 10am rule for me... *wanders back off into her dazed early morning state*

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)