The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2021, 12:47:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2021, 12:47:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reluctant to commit to Artemis...  (Read 11019 times)
dustin137
Last Login:June 14, 2009, 11:39:33 pm
United States United States

Religion: unsure

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 23, 2009, 12:28:52 pm »

I've been interested in Artemis for along time. I love her independance and care for creatures, but i have heard that she can have a spiteful and malicious side. I'm starting to rethink making her my patron goddess.

Can any followers of hers tell me about their expieriences?

including: what offerings to give, what she expects from me, her symbols, and just her general nature.

thanks so much (i'm loving this site!)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 23, 2009, 01:03:41 pm »

I've been interested in Artemis for along time. I love her independance and care for creatures, but i have heard that she can have a spiteful and malicious side. I'm starting to rethink making her my patron goddess.

including: what offerings to give, what she expects from me, her symbols, and just her general nature.

For offerings and ways to honor any of the Greek Gods, I recomend this page:
http://www.winterscapes.com/sannion/compendium.htm

(the rest of that website is good for Hellenic Reconstructionism in general)

For general info on her, try this one:
http://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Artemis.html

With any god, I would recomend taking it slow by giving a small offering.  After all, she may not be as interested in you as you are of her.

There are plenty of threads where she discussed around here somewhere.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 23, 2009, 05:23:50 pm »

I love her independance and care for creatures, but i have heard that she can have a spiteful and malicious side.
I second Melamphoros and would take it slowly. I've got my own UPG on her.

I've had some experiences with her recently which were quite rough. I won't call her malicious, she's not cruel for cruelty's sake. She just has a harsh sense of what is right and necessary in her view. I find her caring in her own way, but she's walking a really tough line there.

I don't find communication with her very easy. She respects distinct lines you draw, but she has her view of what must be done. She does give me the feeling that there's absolutely no room for discussion or haggling. She hasn't forced me to do anything I didn't want, but was quite persistent with what she thought was necessary.

I'd be careful what to promise her.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
dustin137
Last Login:June 14, 2009, 11:39:33 pm

Religion: unsure

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 23, 2009, 06:46:23 pm »

I second Melamphoros and would take it slowly. I've got my own UPG on her.

I've had some experiences with her recently which were quite rough. I won't call her malicious, she's not cruel for cruelty's sake. She just has a harsh sense of what is right and necessary in her view. I find her caring in her own way, but she's walking a really tough line there.

I don't find communication with her very easy. She respects distinct lines you draw, but she has her view of what must be done. She does give me the feeling that there's absolutely no room for discussion or haggling. She hasn't forced me to do anything I didn't want, but was quite persistent with what she thought was necessary.

I'd be careful what to promise her.

i'll definetely take that into consideration. thank you so much you guys.
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 23, 2009, 07:30:18 pm »

I've got an ongoing relationship with Artemis that's .. well, if I were using polyamory terminology, more or less tertiary: I am fond of her, but I have other commitments elsewhere that limit time and energy and the kinds of commitments I can realistically make.

One of the things I'd start with, for anyone who's uncertain about where to go with it is to take your time. There's nothing that says you have to dive into the deep end right away. It's perfectly all right to say "Yes, I'm interested in getting to know you, but can we do this more slowly?" and making a smaller commitment - keeping a shrine for six months for example, or spending time learning about her, or other things that are time-limited or task-limited until you're sure you want to make a larger ongoing commitment.

I started spending more time with her because of ongoing dreams about bears - often associated with her - and the fact that research on that kept drawing me back in that direction. I've done one significant group ritual involving her (including Drawing Down - this is in a more or less Wiccan context, though *cough* deliberately with adaptations to our Great Rite because I am not stupid: our ritual was at fall equinox, talking about sacrifice, to be more specific.)

My UPG (backed by some relevant research) includes:
- She was really very specific about what she wanted me to wear for that ritual. We did some negotiation, because there are limits to what I was going to wear in a field in a public park in late September in Minnesota. (The end result was a skirt I could walk across a field in, a tunic made from two pinned pieces of dark green cotton, and shoes I could move quietly and smoothly in.) I got to wear a cloak until we hit the Draw Down part of the ritual. (Good thing, as it was about 50 degrees out at most.)

- She was very very pleased with my (marginally adequate) skills in archery: for anyone seriously interested in working with her, I'd suggest finding a way to work with bow and arrow, at least enough to know what it feels like and how things work. (A lot of community education programs, at least in the US, can get you in touch with places that teach it, if they don't offer it themselves.)

Though, to quote one of my post ritual comments about this: "2) Artemis and I have different ideas about the length of my arms. The effect this has on my ability to shoot a bow is left to the reader to determine." I'm not sure how I'd handle this differently in future, but it's worth keeping in mind.

- She very much wanted baklava as an offering. Honey in general is not a bad thing in my experience, either. (And fits with some of her other associations.) Looking for classic Greek honeys (import stores sometimes have them here) like sage or thyme would be an extra nice touch.

- I use scent as part of my ritual trigger - the one she really hooked into for me was Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's "Hemlock" scent, which is a sharp herbal.

- That setting clear boundaries with her has been fine for me, but if *I'm* wishy-washy about them, there were problems until I figured out what I wanted and stated it clearly. Bear in mind, though, my relationship with her is a pretty clear "We negotiate this stuff in advance, and I'm not helping you out with this until I'm comfortable" thing. (Where my relationship with my patron Lady is very different. She says, I generally do without asking too many questions unless it's a really huge deal.)

- I was married at the time, but the relationship was very nearly totally over (we separated less than 2 months later). I'm not sure how I'd have handled going from that ritual energy to a loving (and in my case, heterosexual) relationship. I know people do it, and do it comfortably - but it's something I'd want to pay attention to and probably actively discuss with any future partner if I do similar work when I'm in a functioning relationship in future, because I did feel energetically different for a couple of days. (On the plus side, that particular Draw at that particular time made some of the decisions and boundaries about the divorce a whole lot easier, so it was a good thing for me in many ways.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 23, 2009, 08:32:58 pm »

thanks so much (i'm loving this site!)

Praise be to Artemis, Goddess of the forest and the swamplands!

If you're an outdoor-oriented type, I would suggest bringing a small plastic grocery bag (or even a large two-ply plastic garbage bag) along with you into the woods.

Pick up some trash while you explore the forest. Walk the well-worn paths. Carefully make one of your own.

Shut off the iPod when you go there. Don't chat or text on your cellphone when you go there. Using non-essential technology will only make you blind and deaf in Her realm.

Listen to the sounds of the forest: The birds singing, the leaves rustling in the wind, the babbling brook. Hear how they all change with the seasons.

See the sights of the forest: The tracks and scat left by wild animals, the feathers of a fallen songbird, the woodlands embracing you as the path you know slips just out of visual range. See how they all change with the seasons.

Cultivate self-discipline in your own life. Being a virgin Goddess who champions athleticism, was never about being anyone's sexual fantasy. It's about teaching mortals, you and me, to find the strength to be ourselves and to respect the bodies the Deathless Ones gave us.

I feel the strongest connection to Artemis when I do these things.

Don't forget the other Goddesses and Gods of the wilderness, like Pan and even Dionysos. Also remember the Nymphs, the beautiful nature spirits who haunt our world. Deities, like humans, do not exist in isolation. Learning about Her holy family will guide you to a better understanding of Artemis.

I offer Her the spent shotgun shells and fishing lures left behind by hunters and anglers, for whatever it's worth.

One final note about Artemis' "care for creatures". She is a giver of life and death. The death She brings might even be yours or mine, someday. 

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 24, 2009, 02:37:20 am »

One final note about Artemis' "care for creatures". She is a giver of life and death. The death She brings might even be yours or mine, someday.
Absolutely and there's a lot in the myths about this. She's a Goddess of sudden desease and of healing. She might kill what she things of as ill or hybrid. And there's also something about life being both gift and sacrifice I'm not able to grasp fully.

fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 24, 2009, 09:47:37 pm »

Absolutely and there's a lot in the myths about this. She's a Goddess of sudden desease and of healing. She might kill what she things of as ill or hybrid. And there's also something about life being both gift and sacrifice I'm not able to grasp fully.

i've seen other people mention this before, Artemis as a goddess of healing, but I've never seen it anywhere in the myths...where do you find this?

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: March 24, 2009, 10:38:42 pm »

i've seen other people mention this before, Artemis as a goddess of healing, but I've never seen it anywhere in the myths...where do you find this?

You're guess is as good as mine.  The only thing even close that I can think of is her connections to childbirth.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 25, 2009, 01:47:02 am »

This isn't her biggest aspect, but there are a few myths about it:

http://www.theoi.com/Olympios/ArtemisGoddess.html#Healing

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 28, 2009, 07:42:52 am »

Just tossed out a link, because I didn't have time to discuss this earlier.

My UPG on this is that she isn't necessarily the right deity for all sorts of healing, but for some stuff you need her fierce power for. I'd like to compare her to a poisonous plant or snake, which can hurt and heal, but isn't necessarily the first choice for every little cold.

I've had an encounter with her which I experienced as a healing. It was like a brutal operation. I think it helped in my case, but I'd consider very carefully asking her for healing or even for help with something that could imply a healing. And I'd keep in mind that though she can be really quick and pushy, one can always block her. My experience was that she also gives reasons if asked, but would first just try to go ahead with whatever rough cure she has in store for you.

fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 29, 2009, 01:15:23 pm »

One thing I've noticed here that hasn't been addressed in this thread, that you should probably want to consider if you're going to look for a patron deity...or really, if you're going to have any sort of understanding of the gods is that they all have the less fun sides of them, some of them may be less harsh than others, but none of them are without their less pleasant sides, and as I see it, the closer you get to them, the more you're going to see it.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 29, 2009, 01:27:49 pm »

One thing I've noticed here that hasn't been addressed in this thread, that you should probably want to consider if you're going to look for a patron deity...or really, if you're going to have any sort of understanding of the gods is that they all have the less fun sides of them, some of them may be less harsh than others, but none of them are without their less pleasant sides, and as I see it, the closer you get to them, the more you're going to see it.
I think this is good advice. I think you also need to be clear what you can expect of a Patron deity and what not. They can give advice and help, but they can't make choices for you. They'll also have their own ideas about advice and help, so you may not like their ways.

Btw, does one need to choose a patron deity? Isn't it more like getting to know the ones you're interested at the moment and developing a closer relationship with a few over time? It's like you don't marry people out of a catalog, you know what I mean? First try to live with them with small commitments before you devote yourself to them. I find there are a lot of relationship issues one has to work out.

Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 29, 2009, 08:36:12 pm »

This.

Somehow my long-winded post didn't explicitly state it.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
OmPom
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 03:45:00 pm

Religion: Druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 29, 2009, 09:52:01 pm »

This.

Somehow my long-winded post didn't explicitly state it.

My reluctance with Artemis is mostly the virgin thing. I understand why the reason for virginity, mainly because Greeks considered women to be the receivers of men's essence. The men would release themselves into women and thus anything a woman said was seen as being influenced by the man's essence. This is why people speculate that Artemis wanted to be a virgin, so she could retain her independence and be free of men and her opinions were strictly hers.

I don't know how Artemis would see virginity today since we don't have the same views as the ancient Greeks. I see taking your sexuality and using it as a strength as well. To harness it is powerful. To me sex is natural and to be a goddess of nature I feel it odd not to involve sex in there as well.

Also, I'm a forgetful person that lets life get in the way a lot and I know I would forget to leave offerings at an altar, mainly because I took my altar down because my daughter was ruining it. I do take care of strays, I donate to environmental causes and I even took up some archery a while back because I'm fascinated by it. There are things that make sense for me to have Artemis as a patron goddess, but I fear her wrath when I forget one too many times to make any offerings or do what she wants to the T.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)