The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 25, 2020, 04:37:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2020, 04:37:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking Guidance?  (Read 2237 times)
Anagantios
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 14, 2009, 04:01:25 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wiccan/Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 27, 2009, 05:40:42 pm »

Hello all!

I'm new to the pagan community/religion and would be interested in some help where to go next.

I'm fifteen, and wish to practice Wiccan alone, as I live in a strong Church of England community. I've read a few books on Wicca, my favorite being " Wicca: A guide for the solitary practitioner" by Scott Cunningham. I'm open to the concept of Karma, The God & Goddess, Magick, Meditation etc.

All I'm looking for would be a few experienced Wiccans/Pagans to give me a guiding hand in the right direction, I would appreciate it greatly!

Blessed be, ~Anagantios~

- Call of the God
I am the spark of life, the radiant sun,
the giver of peace and rest,
and I send my rays of blessings to warn the hearts,
and strengthen the minds of all.

- Blessed be!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 28, 2009, 02:09:52 pm »

Hello all!

I'm new to the pagan community/religion and would be interested in some help where to go next.

I'm fifteen, and wish to practice Wiccan alone, as I live in a strong Church of England community. I've read a few books on Wicca, my favorite being " Wicca: A guide for the solitary practitioner" by Scott Cunningham. I'm open to the concept of Karma, The God & Goddess, Magick, Meditation etc.

All I'm looking for would be a few experienced Wiccans/Pagans to give me a guiding hand in the right direction, I would appreciate it greatly!

Blessed be, ~Anagantios~

Welcome to the pagan community. *smiles*
Being new to the way of life to pagan's in general, may I ask why you choose the religion Wiccan? I ask only because it seems that many jump in and choose a new religion before understanding what Pagan's are about in general, or what is out there. Wiccan is a Pagan religion, I am pagan but not Wiccan.

I will say reading and study is good, but remember that some author's are prominent due to influence in the publishing industries. There was a time that only a select few authors were printed, so their views had a strong influence.
Please don't misunderstand me. If Wiccan is a religion that you feel is right for you, all the power to you. But I must wonder why you feel the need to decide a religion before you understand what is different compared to Christianity and Paganism.
Karma, Magick, Meditation, are not deemed only Wiccan. *just felt you might be a wee bit confussed on that*
There are many many Religions, Faiths, Belief, Paths and such within the Pagan Community.

Find what is right for you without trying to fit a mold would be a first and foremost direction I would look at. Keep an open mind, think outside the box. May you find your way and see your path before you.
Enjoy the journey, as it is as important as the goal.
Be well, be blessed.

Energy Follows Attention
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 28, 2009, 07:32:49 pm »

Hi there! I second Cent's comments to consider what paths you're looking at in more depth (never a bad thing!) Wicca is often very easy to find superficial information about (but finding information about deeper materials is often trickier)

Are your parents aware of your interest? In general, it's not advised to do things you know your parents strongly disapprove of in their home - for one thing, the chances of getting caught sometime are lousy. And second, there's a bunch of ethical considerations.

If they wouldn't be open to it, there are lots of things you can do to learn more that aren't explicitly religious - studying herbs, plants, mythology, traditional crafts (bread baking, sewing, spinning), art, music, meditation, some form of exercises that centers and grounds you (martial arts, walking, or dance are all pretty common choices). These build great skills that you can easily draw on for religious goals later, but won't offend the people you share a home with. Learning how to research and evaluate what you read is also a great skill - because there's a lot of lousy information out there in the Wicca 101 books (along with the very good stuff.)

That said, a couple of titles that might help you out:
- Marion Green's _A Witch Alone_ is an excellent introductory guide that will help you build skills common to a number of Pagan paths (meditation, visualisation, awareness of the world around you).

- Dianne Sylvan's _The Circle Within_, which is about creating a personal practice

These two give you things you can do and make your own, while you're figuring out what the next step is.

One thing you should be aware of is that traditional Wiccan groups (and many more eclectic ones) are adult-focused religious mystery traditions. Many won't take students who are not yet adult for multiple reasons.

Legal issues are part of it, especially in the US, where I am, but there are other issues, too. For example, teenagers need time to explore and try different things out - asking them to take lifelong oaths to a particular religious tradition is often seen as ethically problematic. (Yes, other traditions make that request. Doesn't mean we have to do the same!) Some of the ritual techniques and demands are not a good fit for teens (depending on the tradition). And the time commitment as a student in a coven is often a really bad fit for someone who should be focusing on their schoolwork and related choices.

This is why teens are often advised to focus on building general skills (like the ones I describe above) without focusing too much on a particular tradition or Wiccan path. Once they get to the point that they can truly commit to that path, then their subsequent training can be a good bit easier.

I hope this helps!

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Hydra
Journeyman
Last Login:November 07, 2009, 08:59:44 pm

Religion: Pagan Hearth Witch

Let's have some tea!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 29, 2009, 08:18:03 am »

Hello all!

Blessed be, ~Anagantios~

When I first started my spiritual path I too read a lot of Scott Cunningham's books and I still have them for reference or just to read on a rainy day.  I would suggest keeping a journal of what you are learning/researching.  Not a Book of Shadows per say but just a journal to jot down your thoughts and what appeals to you.  Good luck with your faith path!

The most revolutionary act you can commit in today's society is to be publicly happy - Dr. Hunter Adams

I was never the girl next door - Bettie Page

Anagantios
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 31, 2009, 04:06:28 pm »

When I first started my spiritual path I too read a lot of Scott Cunningham's books and I still have them for reference or just to read on a rainy day.  I would suggest keeping a journal of what you are learning/researching.  Not a Book of Shadows per say but just a journal to jot down your thoughts and what appeals to you.  Good luck with your faith path!

Thank you to all of you for your replies, I found them very informative! Cent and Jennet especially, you've been very helpful! I managed to find a small coven in my area (after much searching) and they've allowed me to watch their gatherings, but not partake till I'm older. I consider myself to be a mature teenager, so I'm open to criticism for my age, and would be willing to wait until I'm older to get more involved.

Jennett I've decided to take your advice on purchasing them two books, and I have taken up a martial art, all starts on my pagan "journey" I guess.

Blessed be! ~Anagantios~

- Call of the God

- Blessed be!
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 02, 2009, 08:03:47 pm »

You might want to try Kate West's books as well. She's a british author, and I'm really enjoying her "Real Witches' Year" daily devotional book. I looked through her beginner book at my local new age store and it seemed pretty solid to me.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 03, 2009, 11:49:32 am »

Jennett I've decided to take your advice on purchasing them two books, and I have taken up a martial art, all starts on my pagan "journey" I guess.
While I second Jenett's advice, I'd like to remind you that martial arts are fine arts of themselves and not just means to get unto a Pagan path. They definitly can do this (look at me  Grin ), but there are many different styles with long traditions deserving their own respect in my opinion. So I'd like to suggest to you to look for a style or activity you also enjoy a lot for itsself. The martial arts are a path of themselves with a lot of patience, philosophy, inspiration, sweat and joy. I hope you do enjoy whatever you do. Smiley

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Anagantios
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 04, 2009, 05:00:56 am »

Martial arts have been a part of my life for quite a while in fact, From about 9 I was practicing Karate, then at 13 I did Kung Fu for a little while, but currently I've been doing Tae Kwon Do, and just passed my 10th Kup grading  the other day! Smiley I never really enjoyed the karate, and the kung fu center closed due to reasons unknown, so I guess its just a case of finding an art which appeals to me.

Blessed be,

~Anagantios~

- Call of the God

- Blessed be!
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 04, 2009, 01:12:19 pm »

I've been doing Tae Kwon Do, and just passed my 10th Kup grading  the other day! Smiley
Congrats!  Smiley

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)