The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 01, 2021, 05:09:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 01, 2021, 05:09:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Creating my own spirituality?  (Read 4381 times)
Tanuki
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 29, 2009, 10:28:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Dao ke dao, fei chang dao...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 28, 2009, 08:28:44 pm »

Hello all.

I'll try to get as much in before Earth hour as I can but I'd really appreciate some feedback on this topic.

I'm not sure how many of you have created your own tradition or created a path from scratch but essentially this is what I'm attempting. I'm an atheist pagan; that is to say, I do not believe in deity. I see the universe as divine so perhaps the better descriptor is pantheist. Be that as it may, it's a bit difficult to find a religion that fits comfortably for me.

As such, I've always had a fondness for Shinto and after reading a book about 'koshinto' or 'ancient shinto' I think this faith is a good base for me to start on and work around. Coupled into that is a bit of shamanism but not much, I suppose.

I should like to create a path that is about self-improvement and growth. I can read as many self-help sites, articles, and books as I want but to be honest I find them boring and their activities trite. Sometimes I feel so foolish attempting their activities that I really don't get any value from them but I understand that's fine. I think this is where I can use religion to grow, however. Something that I should be able to always carry with me in my heart and mind so that I'm forcing myself to be accountable for my evolution.

Anyway, backstory aside, I want to create a tradition where I learn from nature. I am starting with the Fox. I believe that the fox can teach me many things and help me get started on my journey. I can see some things that I want to do but I know that I'm not ready for those things either. So I'm a bit paralyzed right now. I see the destination but I am not sure how to get there.

So I guess I should open this thread up to any of you that might have some ideas. I think meditation would be a good first step and I plan to attempt it during earth hour but really I feel like I want to do more so that I am sure to make this a part of my life. I definitely want to live this everyday and mature.

Thank you reading and thank you in advance for replying.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

letty
Apprentice
Last Login:March 05, 2012, 01:56:34 pm

Religion: Pagan/Buddhist

The unexamined life is not worth living

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/#

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 29, 2009, 01:04:35 pm »

Hello all.

I'll try to get as much in before Earth hour as I can but I'd really appreciate some feedback on this topic.

I'm not sure how many of you have created your own tradition or created a path from scratch but essentially this is what I'm attempting. I'm an atheist pagan; that is to say, I do not believe in deity. I see the universe as divine so perhaps the better descriptor is pantheist. Be that as it may, it's a bit difficult to find a religion that fits comfortably for me.

Tanuki, I am in a similar place as you are--I, too, am not really a theist, so a lot of the god/goddess related things don't appeal to me. I am interested in Buddhism and Taoism, as well as some of the more earth & human-body honoring aspects of pagan belief. It's kind of hard to find anything that really fits.

What I've been doing lately is really working with art/writing and meditation. I've found that it's easier to really clarify and cohere my beliefs if I actually get started and practice using the things I enjoy, such as automatic writing, tarot cards, drawing, and Zen-style sitting. Since I've started trying to figure out not only what I believe, but what I am actually experiencing, a lot of things have clarified for me. For example, I have started an everyday automatic writing session where I basically sit and breathe for a few minutes and then begin to write with my attention focused on discovering something. I also do a daily draw tarot card and meditate on it--I stare at the card until I have memorized the images and then close my eyes and "explore" the setting of the card. Drawing has been great, too. I use it as a form of meditation. Basically, I go outside and find anything that interests me--a pile of trash, a tree, a gravestone--and attempt to draw it with only my attention on it. These things might not seem all that related to spirituality, but in shifting my attention to the spiritual side of things I already love has been helpful.

I don't know if these are at all helpful to you Smiley I think that having an animal focus is a really good start. It's great to have something to "hook" into and really get you anchored. Tarot cards were the hook for me.
JoWV
Apprentice
Last Login:July 12, 2010, 11:19:55 pm

Religion: Eclectic/Pagan

My mind is the physical alter for my soul

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 29, 2009, 02:35:27 pm »

Tanuki, I am in a similar place as you are--I, too, am not really a theist, so a lot of the god/goddess related things don't appeal to me. I am interested in Buddhism and Taoism, as well as some of the more earth & human-body honoring aspects of pagan belief. It's kind of hard to find anything that really fits.

What I've been doing lately is really working with art/writing and meditation. I've found that it's easier to really clarify and cohere my beliefs if I actually get started and practice using the things I enjoy, such as automatic writing, tarot cards, drawing, and Zen-style sitting. Since I've started trying to figure out not only what I believe, but what I am actually experiencing, a lot of things have clarified for me. For example, I have started an everyday automatic writing session where I basically sit and breathe for a few minutes and then begin to write with my attention focused on discovering something. I also do a daily draw tarot card and meditate on it--I stare at the card until I have memorized the images and then close my eyes and "explore" the setting of the card. Drawing has been great, too. I use it as a form of meditation. Basically, I go outside and find anything that interests me--a pile of trash, a tree, a gravestone--and attempt to draw it with only my attention on it. These things might not seem all that related to spirituality, but in shifting my attention to the spiritual side of things I already love has been helpful.

I don't know if these are at all helpful to you Smiley I think that having an animal focus is a really good start. It's great to have something to "hook" into and really get you anchored. Tarot cards were the hook for me.

Hi,
I too am in a similar position as you, in that I am creating my own beliefs from scratch.  Though I am not an atheist, I believe in a very abstract, permeating deity and I too do not fully accept the polytheistic idea of specific gods and goddesses.  Personally I believe in a single deity made up of collective consciousness from all things in the universe (humans, animals, trees, planets…) and within this deity, there are winds or clouds of energy/thought that can affect the physical universe and our lives, these for me are what others label as specific gods and goddesses with specific influences.  Finding a similar equivalent in your own beliefs may help you relate more to the beliefs of other pagans. 

The one act which has helped me furthers my spiritual growth more than anything else has been reading until I find something that sparks and idea for me, then writing.  Writing helps me to organize my thoughts and I often discover and adopt new beliefs while I am writing.  You can do this with nearly any religious/spiritual/controversial text.  The other day I started with a Wikipedia article about the Golden Rule and it lead to a 10 page journal entry in which I interpreted the Jesus’ teaching about blasphemy against the holy spirit, the so called “unforgivable sin.”  By allowing myself to see both humor and sarcasm in Jesus’ words – something that might make most Christians cringe - I came to a totally different conclusion than the Christian church, one that was not contrary to my own beliefs at all.  While I didn’t necessarily find a new belief in doing this, I did learn that a text which I thought could lend nothing to me spiritually, the Bible, may in fact hold more than I though, if I am willing to ignore the interpretation of others and make my own. 

The book that started my journey of defining my own Pagan path was Paganism: An Introduction to Earth Centered Religions by River and Joyce Higginbotham.  If you have not yet read it, you should.  Even if you already thing you know a lot about Paganism, this books contains a lot of exercises and guidance for building your own belief system while including only generally information regarding deity and pagan belief.  Other books that I have found great to sparking writing ideas are Pagans and Christians and The His Dart Materials Trilogy (which starts with the Golden Compos), while this series is on the surface writen at a child’s level, it is  very critical of organized religion and portrays a very unique version of God.  Oddly enough and totally by accident, I also had a quite lengthy, and enlightening journal entry after watching the movie “Powder.”

I would also warn you about forcing your self to work on your beliefs/religion.  Traveling your path should be something you enjoy.  If one day you don’t feel like reading something complex or being enlightened, and fell like you’d rather sit on the couch and watch Fresh Prince, by all means sit on the couch!  Sometimes your mind needs a break from soul searching.  When your brain is tired, you are not very likely to come across anything too enlightening anyway.

Good luck, and may you find peace and joy in your search!

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.”
~Thomas Paine
Play_Dough
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 30, 2009, 07:56:22 pm

Religion: yes!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 29, 2009, 08:09:57 pm »

edited...

Hello all.

As such, I've always had a fondness for Shinto and after reading a book about 'koshinto' or 'ancient shinto' I think this faith is a good base for me to start on and work around. Coupled into that is a bit of shamanism but not much, I suppose.

I should like to create a path that is about self-improvement and growth.

Anyway, backstory aside, I want to create a tradition where I learn from nature.  I see the destination but I am not sure how to get there.

So I guess I should open this thread up to any of you that might have some ideas. I think meditation would be a good first step and I plan to attempt it during earth hour but really I feel like I want to do more so that I am sure to make this a part of my life. I definitely want to live this everyday and mature.

Thank you reading and thank you in advance for replying.

Greetings to All! (a newbie here, Play_Dough)

My intention, in this post, is to make a few observations and a few resulting comments designed to assist in formulating some beneficial input.

Quote (from post) ... "I see the destination but I am not sure how to get there." (end quote)
--- There are two answers that immediately come to mind regarding this (above) comment.
1) One option is to start by 'being it' (the destination)....  to not 'arrive' at your self-actualized destination but to start by 'being it' (create a new 'mind-set').
2) Option #2 is (this also works 'hand in glove' with #1)...  if you have a clear picture of the destination then (metaphysically speaking) continue to hold that picture in your consciousness and then 'surrender' to the flow of life that will deliver you to your desired result.
In other words, your act of surrendering to the flow is actually surrendering to 'the flow' that you, yourself, have set into motion because of your desired result.

The 'religion' that best captures your descriptions (my opinion) is 'Taoism'.
Taoism does not recognize a 'personalized' deity but recognizes the wisdom and brilliance inherent in 'nature'. So, those who surrender to 'nature' are gradually guided past their 'former preferences' and, gradually, are delivered to a 'renewal' or 'restatement of self' or 'rebirth'. 

It is (opinion) utter foolishness to wish to 'design' your own path or tradition because, typically, the 'design' will be (typically) to ignore the remaining flaws of one's character; with 'refusal to surrender' being the #1 'remaining character flaw' .

If, as you have stated, you see the universe as 'divine' then what genuine option is available to you other than participation by surrender to what it is that is placed before you (by the divine universe)? 

It is both reasonable and logical to conclude that your desire to change yourself and your circumstances (an identity) is an indication of dissatisfaction with your present expression of 'self' (self = personal ego and circumstances). So why allow this 'dissatisfied' self to chart a new course IF that 'dissatisfied self' is 'the thing' that you need to get rid of? It is that 'dissatisfied' self that needs to be purged (removed) from consciousness.
The only truly reasonable decision is to 'surrender' to the wisdom and brilliance of 'nature'. It is 'the path' without ego.

Your present situation (my opinion) is like someone deciding to let their hair grow long.
You read books on long hair, philosophical articles on long-hair, you look at photographs of people with long hair and wonder if you can design a path that will result in your having long hair. 
If 'long hair' is the result of your desire then you need 'do nothing' because that 'long-hair' result will happen naturally....  to the extent that you co-operate with the flow that will produce that singular result.  You simply do not interfere (cutting your hair or having it cut short) with the desire that you set into motion.

The problematic item of all personal transformation is, typically, 'the former self' and all of it's deeply rooted and engrained patterns.  The 'former self' can be so belligerent as to utterly refuse to obey new directions that emanate from your consciousness and accompanying 'change of mind'.

The key is this....  if you believe that the universe is 'divine' (so do I) that tell the universe what result it is that you want and then surrender to the flow that will take you there! 

There is no 'plan B'. Act according to your beliefs and be utterly free of contradiction. If you believe that the universe is 'divine' then act accordingly! Merge with the activities of the universe.

With my best regards.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:14:53 pm by Play_Dough » Logged
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 29, 2009, 08:42:26 pm »

edited...

Play_Dough -

We ask that you do not edit a post more than a minute or two after posting - and that you give a reason for the edit.

No one responded, but I don't know if the edit was for typos or an entire rewriting of the post.  (And for the time limit, we go by the time it's submitted, not by when you start).

Please, in the future, make sure that if there's substantial changes, you just make a new post (We don't mind this) and if it's typos or the like, that you mark that at the bottom so we know!

Thank you
HeartShadow - Cauldron Staff

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Tanuki
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 29, 2009, 10:28:45 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Dao ke dao, fei chang dao...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 29, 2009, 10:28:50 pm »

Quote from:  Letty
What I've been doing lately is really working with art/writing and meditation.

Writing sessions? That's a fine idea. I used to do some automatic writing back in the day but I stopped a lot of my creative habits when life just got too well filled with obligations. Still, I think that getting ideas out of my head will do me some good. I'm new to meditation so I'm not getting a lot out of it other than the relaxation (honestly, I start to fall asleep most times!).

Quote from:  JoWV
Personally I believe in a single deity made up of collective consciousness from all things in the universe (humans, animals, trees, planets…) and within this deity, there are winds or clouds of energy/thought that can affect the physical universe and our lives, these for me are what others label as specific gods and goddesses with specific influences.

I kind of agree with this. Also, I have read "Paganism: An Introduction to Earth Centered Religions  and it does have good activities in their. I think I should revisit them.

Quote from:  JoWV
I would also warn you about forcing your self to work on your beliefs/religion.  Traveling your path should be something you enjoy. 

Good advice. I hope I can remember it as I begin my path.

The 'religion' that best captures your descriptions (my opinion) is 'Taoism'.

I agree with Taoism to a point. In today's world, going with the flow isn't always feasible. Sometimes you need to swim left or right unless you want to hit a rock. I don't think that given inaction things will eventually work themselves out. And deciding that I'm okay with something not working out the way I plan it doesn't really mesh well with my goals and ambitions. However, in certain situations I agree with the Tao and follow it's wisdom.

It is (opinion) utter foolishness to wish to 'design' your own path or tradition because, typically, the 'design' will be (typically) to ignore the remaining flaws of one's character; with 'refusal to surrender' being the #1 'remaining character flaw' . 

I can't say I agree witht his sentiment. It implies that my defect self doesn't know it's defective and does not want to change. However, I'm recognizing my flaws and making a choice to find a better way to think and do things that will benefit me in the long run. I've done this before. I said, I want to me more this and less this because this first bit is hurting me. In a year or so, I improved and I'm pleased. I want to try a more directed approach to growth with structure to see if I can't get better results. I won't be perfect but I'll be learning how to be a better person. Even in the Tao, if I think it I am making and action to change but to reach the truth of Tao I must even stop thinking about change, in my opinion.

If, as you have stated, you see the universe as 'divine' then what genuine option is available to you other than participation by surrender to what it is that is placed before you (by the divine universe)? 

I don't confuse divine with sentient. The Universe is divine; it is infinite and wholly incomprehensible. It is not however sentient in my belief. It has laws, rules, precepts that govern its entity but it does not make 'special cases' for individuals. Individuals operate inside its laws and it is up to the individual to create it's own outcome. It's like a system or program.

When I can see the destination I guess I can see some things that I'd like to do or express when I feel that I've learned the lesson. There are some dances that I'd like to perform to signify an expulsion of negativity and an acquisition of enlightenment. There's a dance of battle myself but finding balance at the same time. A dance to celebrate nature is another one I can see clearly in my mind but even if I knew how to dance them I feel that I'm not ready to express those things...

I hope that all makes sense but I'd be happy to clarify anything.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: March 30, 2009, 07:36:20 am »

Just a quick note, Tanuki...  When you want to reply to multiple posts in a thread, please reply to each one separately rather than shoving all your replies into one big post.  It's easier to follow the conversation that way.  In addition, our quoting rules do require that you have the link back to the post you're replying to which is inserted automatically when you reply to a post, and it's easy to miss that if you're not replying to each post individually.  (For example, in the post of yours I'm replying to here, you have that link back to Play_Dough's post, but you also need a link back to Letty's post and JoWV's post.)

Thanks!

Star
Cauldron Message Board Coordinator

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Wintermoon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2011, 09:43:26 pm

Religion: spiritual atheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 01, 2009, 07:15:06 pm »

Your present situation (my opinion) is like someone deciding to let their hair grow long.
You read books on long hair, philosophical articles on long-hair, you look at photographs of people with long hair and wonder if you can design a path that will result in your having long hair. 
If 'long hair' is the result of your desire then you need 'do nothing' because that 'long-hair' result will happen naturally....  to the extent that you co-operate with the flow that will produce that singular result.  You simply do not interfere (cutting your hair or having it cut short) with the desire that you set into motion.

What if your desired result is shorter hair? If you do not interfere, your hair will just keep getting longer. How do you know whether the end result you're looking for is the metaphorical long or short hair? Shouldn't you assume it requires work and do something to change your own circumstances?

~Vivian

You can't take the sky from me.

"I get really distracted by works of fiction. Probably because you don't have to make any decisions." ~my sister

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." ~Mark Twain
bkxchange
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 30, 2010, 08:50:16 pm

Religion: Independent eclectic heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 04, 2009, 02:39:47 pm »

I'm not sure how many of you have created your own tradition or created a path from scratch but essentially this is what I'm attempting. I'm an atheist pagan; that is to say, I do not believe in deity. I see the universe as divine so perhaps the better descriptor is pantheist. Be that as it may, it's a bit difficult to find a religion that fits comfortably for me....

Hi Tanuki, 
No, you're not alone, hope that's comforting to you, there are quite a few of us "solitary" seekers out here.  It's a hard path, but the rewards are great,  the most precious IMO being SELF-KNOWLEDGE.  Don't let labels tie you down.  Wisdom is found in many diverse places and can be discovered in many ways.  Everything can teach you something if you pay attention.  (Okay, enough with the platitudes already Wink
The specific help i can offer is recommendations for reading and research,  since that's what i love to do. 

One thing i've found is that knowing something about why humans think and react as we do is useful indetermining who i want to become as an individual.  Try the Science section of the library/bookstore, rather than the Self-help aisle.  I've found that real data on human physiology, genetics, and brain functions is alot more useful than sometimes preachy psycho-babble. Roll Eyes

Also in the hard sciences, i'd recommend wide reading in genetic and cultural anthropology, try to concentrate on your own genetic and cultural background.  "The call of the ancestors is strong"  may not be PC, but it's true Grin .   But a couple of texts on world religions and mythology are basic, too.

If all this sounds a bit daunting,  there is an easy way in ---thru fiction  especially sciencefiction!...if the idea of plowing thu textbooks turns you off,  try something like the 'Earth's Children" series by Jean Auel to spark an interest in anthropology.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 02:48:39 pm by bkxchange » Logged
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: April 04, 2009, 03:12:06 pm »

If all this sounds a bit daunting,  there is an easy way in ---thru fiction  especially sciencefiction!...if the idea of plowing thu textbooks turns you off,  try something like the 'Earth's Children" series by Jean Auel to spark an interest in anthropology.

Of course, you have to keep in mind that the "history" in those novels IS false - it might spark an interest, but building off of that will get you completely sideways compared to actual history.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
senilorac
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 03, 2010, 08:38:57 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 23, 2009, 11:21:28 pm »

I should like to create a path that is about self-improvement and growth. I can read as many self-help sites, articles, and books as I want but to be honest I find them boring and their activities trite. Sometimes I feel so foolish attempting their activities that I really don't get any value from them but I understand that's fine. I think this is where I can use religion to grow, however. Something that I should be able to always carry with me in my heart and mind so that I'm forcing myself to be accountable for my evolution.

Anyway, backstory aside, I want to create a tradition where I learn from nature. I am starting with the Fox. I believe that the fox can teach me many things and help me get started on my journey. I can see some things that I want to do but I know that I'm not ready for those things either. So I'm a bit paralyzed right now. I see the destination but I am not sure how to get there.

It sounds to me like you're on a pretty good track that resonates with your personal goals and needs.

I had to do a very similar thing myself. I am an agnostic, but I found my spirituality withered without some sort of religious program with which to organize my life. So I turned to my inspiration with the natural world; it is wholly unrelated to my conception of a deity but still enables me to grow, develop, and feel a sense of meaning. I basically conceive of my rituals as meditative practices; they are meant to align my own energies with the natural world, not affect external change or offer pleas to a deity. So far, this path has been working pretty well for me. It is something I arrived at personally and (I think) resonates with me more because of that.

So I can offer only more encouragement for you to continue developing your spiritual side in ways that you find acceptable and fulfilling. Cheesy

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)