The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2022, 06:01:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2022, 06:01:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pagan related items in the workplace  (Read 4978 times)
Hydra
Journeyman
Last Login:November 07, 2009, 08:59:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan Hearth Witch

Let's have some tea!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 30, 2009, 07:25:20 am »

I have been thinking of taking some items that remind me of my faith to work, to place on my desk.  A little candle holder that I have used in ritual that says Inspire on it, a nice pretty chunk of amethyst and maybe a few other items that I have charged or used in the past for magic or ritual.

I am not out as a pagan at work, although I know my boss would be cool with this knowledge.  It is more the other employees that would find issue with knowing this about me.  Do you think it is okay to bring such items to work?  I just want to create a more peaceful and pleasing environment for myself at work.  Your thoughts?

The most revolutionary act you can commit in today's society is to be publicly happy - Dr. Hunter Adams

I was never the girl next door - Bettie Page

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: March 30, 2009, 07:31:59 am »

Do you think it is okay to bring such items to work?  I just want to create a more peaceful and pleasing environment for myself at work.  Your thoughts?

Unless your office has a policy against personal items at your desk, I don't see anything wrong with it.  As far as making your coworkers uncomfortable goes...  Well, I mean, it's not like you're hanging up a pentacle the size of a dinner plate and plastering your area with signs that say "I'm a Pagan!"  The items you describe are things that I don't think anyone will bat an eye at.  They're not overtly religious, even, much less pagan.  I doubt anyone is going to realize what those things mean to you unless you tell them.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 30, 2009, 10:25:47 am »

Do you think it is okay to bring such items to work?  I just want to create a more peaceful and pleasing environment for myself at work.  Your thoughts?

Depends on the items, but as Star said, unless there is a policy on personal items, then I don't see an issue.  Look around you and see what others are doing to get an idea of how liberal (or conservative) your workplace is w/r/t personal items.  But the items you mentioned aren't unreasonable at all. And probably most would not even recognize them as having religious significance.

Heck, I've a Shrine to Chaos at my cubicle (complete with golden apple and a plushie cthulhu), and nobody has even batted an eye. 

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: March 30, 2009, 10:33:53 am »

Heck, I've a Shrine to Chaos at my cubicle (complete with golden apple and a plushie cthulhu), and nobody has even batted an eye. 

I've got a sun-shrine on my desk that includes a Tarot card (not RW, or even a very traditionally tarot-y-looking card, but not completely unobvious either), in the midst of a fairly religiously-and-politically conservative environment, and to the best of my knowledge no one has ever looked twice at it.  Except maybe the one guy I know is pagan, but that's different.  Cheesy

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 08:07:55 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: herbalgoddess13

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 30, 2009, 11:10:46 am »

I have been thinking of taking some items that remind me of my faith to work, to place on my desk.  A little candle holder that I have used in ritual that says Inspire on it, a nice pretty chunk of amethyst and maybe a few other items that I have charged or used in the past for magic or ritual.

I am not out as a pagan at work, although I know my boss would be cool with this knowledge.  It is more the other employees that would find issue with knowing this about me.  Do you think it is okay to bring such items to work?  I just want to create a more peaceful and pleasing environment for myself at work.  Your thoughts?
I work from home now so it's not an issue.  But in the past, I worked for a large advertising agency and many of my co-workers had religious items on their desks.  I don't remember any pentacles the size of a dinner plate Wink (and I would remember that) but I do remember some religious items as well as some rocks and crystals and such.  I don't think there's anything wrong with adding a few personal items that make you feel at peace and the one's your describing seem to fit that.

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 30, 2009, 01:15:56 pm »

This is completely offtopic but... I want a plushie Cthulhu!

Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 30, 2009, 01:36:38 pm »

I love my plushie Cthulhu.  Right now mine is wearing a pair of sunglasses, holding a foam mini-football I caught at a high school football game, and has a pink flamingo beanie baby sitting on its head.   Grin

Also, my monitor is a make-shift shrine for Djehuty and Heru-Wer.  I have small icons of Them sitting on top of it, with a pencil and some pennies as offerings.

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 30, 2009, 02:09:42 pm »

Your not the only one.  Heck, I imagine that if I knew about Cthulhu when I was a child I would go to sleep cuddling a plushie Cthulhu.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 30, 2009, 02:12:32 pm »

I work from home now so it's not an issue.  But in the past, I worked for a large advertising agency and many of my co-workers had religious items on their desks.  I don't remember any pentacles the size of a dinner plate Wink (and I would remember that) but I do remember some religious items as well as some rocks and crystals and such.  I don't think there's anything wrong with adding a few personal items that make you feel at peace and the one's your describing seem to fit that.

I'm kind of wondering now if its because things like crystals are now being targetted towards a Christian audience, and thus less people are thinking "heathenry!" when they see a pile of stones on someone's desk.

Of course there is also a growing religious tolerance, for which I am grateful for, but that also depends on what part of the world you live in.

For me, I don't keep anything religious here. Its really dirty and what stones that come with me stay on me. I don't trust people not to touch it or think "oh, its just a stone" and toss it. Did I mention its dirty here?  Cheesy Metaphysically (lots of family in-fighting, back stabbing, etc) and physical (auto body supply store.. ick). And any job I am getting soon wouldn't allow me to have any sort of space to keep things, I'm assuming, other than a small cubby. So anything I'd keep on me (other than possible tattoos which can be well-hidden) would be in a pocket or on a necklace.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: March 30, 2009, 03:25:49 pm »

you mean one of these: http://www.toyvault.com/cthulhu/index.html ?

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: March 30, 2009, 04:04:53 pm »

Ooh.  Me want!

I can't decide if I want the plushie or the hand puppet.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: March 30, 2009, 04:07:27 pm »

Ooh.  Me want!

I can't decide if I want the plushie or the hand puppet.

I have Summer Fun Cthulhu. Smiley

and I recently made a crochet cthulhu from http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 30, 2009, 04:49:01 pm »

I have a discreet shrine at work   - a  wooden dish with a pine cone, LED candle, and a stone + whatever might be seasonal. No one was ever commented on it. I'm not sure it has even been noticed.  Oh it also has a celtic spiral at the  moment as it fell off my charm bracelet! Mind you my collection of plants always attracts comment. 

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
madame.kiera
Apprentice
Last Login:April 16, 2009, 11:33:38 pm

Religion: Aspiring Tameran Wiccan/Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 30, 2009, 08:30:04 pm »

I don't see why there would be a problem at all, as long as your workplace permits for it.

I personally do not have any items at my cubicle, but eventually I am sure I will be adding a little extra something when the time comes. We have a fairly laid-back work environment, and many people who work there are (by society's standards) definitely not the norm. So I definitely wouldn't think a few paganish items would bother anyone.  Wink

I intend to live forever, or die trying.
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 30, 2009, 09:55:22 pm »

Ooh! I want them all! I loved the Cthulhu slippers!  Cheesy

I have Summer Fun Cthulhu. Smiley

and I recently made a crochet cthulhu from http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/

I can't understand crochet. It's too much for my little brain. I wonder if my mom wants to make me one of those... Of course, she doesn't understand English, and I don't think I can translate crochet for her.  Sad

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.