The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 25, 2020, 12:23:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2020, 12:23:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How long did it take you to decide..  (Read 6881 times)
kevindotcar
Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2009, 01:47:50 pm
United States United States

Religion: neo-pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 07, 2009, 06:13:22 pm »

On your current spiritual path or religion? This is just a poll, if you will.

Was it something you realized right away and just "knew" was right for you OR did you have to research and study to decide? Do you remember how long it took you to come to that conclusion?

I was raised in a beach town in Florida where the avg schooling was grade 10.

I was neglected as a child by parents who hated being parents.  I tried Christianity as a way towards truth, but it was really more of a social club.  It never felt right.

I have since earned Bachelors and Masters degrees and think more philosophically about religion, rather than literally or towards getting tangible social benefits.

Personally, I think the Universe was born, not "made" - which implies by default the existence of the Goddess.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #16: October 07, 2009, 11:41:03 pm »

Was it something you realized right away and just "knew" was right for you OR did you have to research and study to decide? Do you remember how long it took you to come to that conclusion?

I'm in the boat with all the 'still haven't decided' folks. Which is why I'm an eclectic Pagan. There are too many paths out there with sweet juicy tidbits to restrict myself to one single path.

If I was to fully dedicate myself to any religion, though, it would be Vodou. I've had the calling for a long time now, but my life just doesn't go in that direction. Which is why I always tell people I'm a 'student of the lwa' & not a 'child of the lwa'.

ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 09, 2009, 05:16:42 pm »

It took a long time [a couple of years] for me.  I had to research and decide what path to take.

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: October 09, 2009, 07:17:05 pm »

Heh...  Twenty ...  two?  years or so and I'm still looking...  (Do I win some kind of prize?)

Of course, there was a lot of time of in those years where religion just didn't seem that important.  I self-identified as "pagan" without putting a whole lot of thought into what that meant to me.

Both. 

It only took me a couple of years of "not being Christian" to discover paganism, and know right away that it was part of what I was looking for. 

But to narrow it down to the "right" paganism?  A lot of study, a lot of meditation, and a lot of talking to other pagans has gotten me to where I am right now - which is a right as I've felt in a long time.  Is the final destination in sight?  I'm still not sure.  A couple of years ago, I was tentatively certain I was going to end up dedicated to Brighid, but she said "no."  She eventually led me by the hand (well, actually, it was more like she passed me around to a couple of her sisters, one of whom introduced me to her brother and he the rest of the family...) to what feels like a homecoming. 

(Haven't talked about that much on here, actually.  Afraid of  appearing to be "god-hopping" and all, I guess.  I do feel like I come off as a flake at times.)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #19: October 09, 2009, 11:16:36 pm »

I do feel like I come off as a flake at times.)

Don't we all! Cheesy

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 10, 2009, 03:17:02 am »

I've left Christianity and started to look seriously into alternatives when I was 24. Now I'm 27 and bouncing around the Pagan community, mostly wiccan, hellenistic and eclectic folks. There's a lot I already know about my path, but don't ask me about the right label.

I know what ever group or coven I end up with has to have a polytheistic and magical practice. But the most important bit for me in searching a group/coven isn't about the exact path, but that they accept my personal experiences and subjects. I'm not going to convert, the training and practice together has to be somewhat reciproke even if I'm going to be the one in training. I want to learn a lot from others, but I will not stay with people who think they can just pour their path's wisdom over newcomers and don't need to listen to their experiences in return.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
mead
Apprentice
Last Login:October 11, 2010, 04:06:28 am

Religion: daemonic shamanism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 12, 2009, 12:35:09 am »

The best  way I know to answer this is to say it took me four years to reach  a moment of truth

It took me years of hard studying Christianity in earnest Doing all I was told that was told were
right . .. .I experienced spiritual awakenings and heard the voice of God talking back often via "waking dreams" Because of this interaction with the spirit world “knew” things that often made other Christians uneasy. Even as a novice I knew that I knew that I knew I just didn’t know how I knew.

Because I often made other christens uncomfortable and was some times attacked for it, because spend an entire life time angry or beaten down I chose E- none of the above.  I after I time and lots of practice being “challenged” I learn the art of debating. Once I became proficient enough with a computer I took to on-line communities devoting to just such a practice. I still IDed myself as a Christian for a long time but I stopped going to church years ago. I learned about other belief systems in the midst of heated discussions never really truly realizing I was actually searching for some thing more I wanted some one to break my resolve – it took four years of studying reading sources and considering rebuttals from all walks of spirituality and even from those who had no spiritual beliefs

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this communities definition of pagan because it was what I thought the word meant all along. It took years of fairly intense research but my personal identity took place in a flash of realization that I was no longer Christian . An acquaintance was sharing her definition of “Gods will” and like a lightening bolt I realized I was pagan. The young woman  was trying to be helpful and she was but not in the manner she intended.

Sorry for the tangent  . . .
panther
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 30, 2009, 06:09:40 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 12, 2009, 07:59:52 am »

As a young child I would spend my days playing in forests and sitting by streams. I felt strongly connected to nature, I talked to the trees and felt energies all around me.
I made an altar (but not knowing anything of Paganism I didn't realise) and left flowers each new morning. I preferred to spend my time alone in nature but never did I feel alone.         

I was brought up a Roman Catholic in a very strict Irish family but lost my faith as a teenager. From then on I felt that something was missing, I was searching for something but not knowing what it was that I was searching for. Then in my early 20's I was introduced to Paganism and it felt so right, a coming home. I realised that it was what I had been doing all my life already only to a lesser degree.

Certain things may catch your eye but pursue only those which capture your heart.

Native American Quote
Spectacular Views
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2013, 02:21:49 am

Religion: Can being confused count as a religion?
TCN ID: SpectacularViews

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: October 12, 2009, 04:20:20 pm »

I haven't been able to figure out what path I should even start going down.  There are so many different paths and such out there that sound interesting to me that I haven't been able to hone in on that one that is "right" for me.  So I'm still trying to make up my mind on where to start  Huh
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2020, 07:39:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: October 12, 2009, 06:03:42 pm »

Hi, Panther - please don't forget to quote, even when you're replying to the first post in a thread.  Thanks!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Anteros
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:38:40 am
Serbia and Montenegro Serbia and Montenegro

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Believe yourself, and no one will deceive you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: October 14, 2009, 10:54:32 am »

Well since my earliest childhood, I knew Kemetic + Hellenic is best for me...
But later, I did search. I looked through almost all famous and less famous religions, but nothing kept my focus longer than 2 days... Then finally I found great sites about Kemetic and Hellenic, and my soul is settled in her nest of those great paths. I love this forum. Feels like home. Smiley

The Greatest One, Slayer of evil serpent - the opponent of Majestic Ra, bless all of us...
Lost-in-Translation
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 14, 2009, 04:59:40 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Look Within - Trust Within.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: October 14, 2009, 04:36:56 pm »

I think I always just knew that Paganism was the right "fit" for me.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.
Borin
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 18, 2009, 05:49:10 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: October 18, 2009, 05:43:14 pm »

I was raised with Christian beliefs, as were taught by my mother, my father though was baptist with an open mind and a deep understanding and respect for nature. It was from him I believe that the seeds were sown. These seeds waited germination for 25-30 years, then my wife bought a book about Solomon, the back of which mentioned Pagan religions, from there bought some books out reading interest but then the seed germinated but still took ten years for me to go forward and take Paganism as a serious way of religious life.
little owl
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 11, 2010, 05:16:27 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: October 19, 2009, 02:39:04 pm »

I've been drawn to magic and pagan practice for a very long time. Honestly, I've always been sort of apathetic about spirituality. It's not something I need, but it enhances my life, so I continue.

I don't really have a particular path, past eclectic. Generally I call myself a freethinker when pressed for a definition. I've been deconverting from Christianity (which I think I finally finished. Yay!) since about 2006. Deprogramming something you were brought up with is tough.

Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #29: October 23, 2009, 01:45:18 am »

About four years - I followed Wicca for two of them, after a year of unidentified paganism, but then I discovered CR and that was, as they say, It.  It was everything I wanted, and everything that I never quite found in Wicca.  So four years to find it, less than half a second to decide on it  Grin

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)