The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 13, 2020, 01:56:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 13, 2020, 01:56:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Beads  (Read 11947 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: April 04, 2009, 12:13:53 am »

And the prayer part.

That's my problem too.  I really like the idea of brief, repetitive prayers -- mantras, I guess -- to facilitate meditation.

Maybe some of our poets could help with this...?  Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 05, 2009, 12:48:14 pm »

I have a set of prayer beads that I made for Apollo out of glass seed beads, brass-colored sun beads, white, yellow, bronze, lavender and gold pearls, and stones that I associate with him- iolite, red garnets, rutilated quartz, pale yellow citrine and sunstone.

There's a picture of them here, though it's a little dark:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/lafiamma/apollobeads.jpg

I also have some for Dionysus made of rhyolite, red garnets, green, lavender and wine-colored pearls and glass beads

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/lafiamma/dionysusbeads.jpg

Beautiful Smiley 
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 05, 2009, 01:02:00 pm »

It was the first set I made so it's kinda clunky. The big beads represent the five elements and are coral (blue and red), agate, a carved seed, and a milky white semi precious stone I never did get a name for. Then there's tiger's eye, carnelian (a very important stone for me), seed beads (as in made out of seeds, not the little beads that go by that name), dichromic glass, and various semi precious stones.

The numbers and symbolism are all important to me and play into what mantras and how many repetitions thereof I used with them. The beads had specific mantras I used generally. Depending upon the focus of the meditation I would use different mantras or just move the beads through my hands w/ my breathing.

I've made a number of other sets for other people and the way they have intended to use them varies a good bit. Largely I think it is to have a physical representation of their beliefs and things that are important to them. Each bead can hold meaning as can their combinations and arrangement. Overall you can get in a ton of symbolism. Somehow having that physical representation there is kind of calming and comforting.

I tend to be the type of person who uses physical objects in prayer or ritual because they embody my intention.  It also keeps my mind from wandering.  It's kind of like when I did traditional mindfulness meditation at Naropa University.  I had to count my breaths to maintain focus. 
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 05, 2009, 11:03:55 pm »

Crimping, I have found, is my enemy. So instead I have enlisted my boyfriend to help me with crimping the ends of my soon-to-be works, as he is awesome at painting miniatures and the like.  Cheesy

Crimping pliers: worth their weight in gold, imo.

fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 18, 2009, 04:44:47 am »

I was just curious if anyone had made prayer beads.

Another one I just made today, this one a bracelet specifically for a sort of "portable" version of a devotional ritual that I do sometimes.

(Here's the ritual if anyone is interested http://painandlight.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/a-simple-bay-leaf-devotional-ritual/)

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: April 18, 2009, 05:11:14 pm »

Another one I just made today, this one a bracelet specifically for a sort of "portable" version of a devotional ritual that I do sometimes.

That's beautiful!  Thanks for sharing.

I was just thinking last night about a way to do a set of prayer beads specifically dedicated to Brighid.  I have a little book produced by Solas Bhride, the organization that tends Brighid's flame in Kildare.  It's a Christian organization (nuns, I think), but they seem very open to Brigidine spirituality of all kinds.  The book is a guide for a pilgrimage in Kildare, with descriptions of each of the stops a pilgrim-visitor to Kildare might make, a bit of the history of each stop, and a suggestion for how each place relates to Brighid's attributes and/or mythology.

The idea to turn it into a set of prayer beads came to me while reading through the book, especially when I got to the part about the "Prayer Stones."  Apparently, there are 5 standing stones near a well, and that area is part of the pilgrimage tour.  Each of the stones represents an idea linked to Brighid (Saint or Goddess) and Her mythology.  It does rely heavily on the Saint's story, but I, personally believe that those stories are based on the attributes and myths of the Goddess, so I'm OK with working with those stories.  The 5 prayer stones (and my brief summary of their meanings) are:

1.  Brighid: A Woman of the Land -- stewardship of nature and agriculture; fertility
2.  Brighid:  The Peacemaker -- lawgiving; social justice (This one is particularly interesting to me because the Saint's stories seem to echo the little bit we know about Brig Ambue, the Law Giver and friend of women and social outcasts.)
3.  Brighid:  The Friend of the Poor -- generosity; hospitality; social justice
4.  Brighid:  The Hearthwoman -- refuge; sanctuary; the fire of the hearth and home
5.  Brighid:  Woman of Contemplation -- contemplative approach to spirituality; serenity; mystery; wisdom; fire in the head

There are also a couple of wells and other landmarks listed in the pilgrimage guide, which, I think, also lend themselves to ideas for meditation.

So, I'm thinking about trying to do a set of prayer beads based on this Kildare pilgrimage -- sort of a way to experience that pilgrimage internally, even though I've never been to Kildare.

My problems are practical, though.  What kind of beads to use; whether to use a different kind of bead (stone) for each pilgrimage stop (20 in all); how to assemble the whole thing; if I should attempt to put brief prayers or mantras to each bead/stop.  Things like that.

I'm very open to suggestions if anyone has any.   Smiley

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 23, 2009, 03:05:20 pm »

Have you used prayer beads in your practice?  If you have, I'd love to hear what you've done.  I'd love to see pictures if you have them. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of them, but I do have a set of prayer beads for my personal pantheon. I restrung them on the Solstice to celebrate my Paganversary. Smiley There's a bead for each of the gods I'm devoted to, as well as some spirits I work with, with some short prayers at beginning and end. I haven't used them yet, but my idea is not to have any set prayers, but to "say hi" to the Beings with improvised prayers on each bead, or just reach out for a connection with each.

Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 23, 2009, 03:07:48 pm »

I'm very open to suggestions if anyone has any.   Smiley

I love that idea!  If I were doing that, I think I would choose different stones for each stop and meditate on the qualities of Her associated with each, maybe with some improvised prayers.  But that's because that's my approach with my prayer beads. Smiley I will say, it can be hard finding a bunch of different suitable beads, and expensive too, depending on your materials. (I wanted to add some beads to mine and had to look through my bead collections for stone types I hadn't already used.)

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 11, 2020, 09:37:09 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: June 23, 2009, 05:06:25 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of them, but I do have a set of prayer beads for my personal pantheon. I restrung them on the Solstice to celebrate my Paganversary. Smiley There's a bead for each of the gods I'm devoted to, as well as some spirits I work with, with some short prayers at beginning and end. I haven't used them yet, but my idea is not to have any set prayers, but to "say hi" to the Beings with improvised prayers on each bead, or just reach out for a connection with each.
I haven't made my set of beads yet, but that's exactly what I've got in mind, surprise, surprise.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: June 24, 2009, 01:39:54 pm »

I haven't made my set of beads yet, but that's exactly what I've got in mind, surprise, surprise.

My main intent with it is to have a way to honor all of Those in my personal pantheon - I worry that some of Them get neglected. I have a feeling that that might be useful for you too, based on how many you've written about working with.

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: June 25, 2009, 12:16:04 am »

I have a set of prayer beads that I made for Apollo out of glass seed beads, brass-colored sun beads, white, yellow, bronze, lavender and gold pearls, and stones that I associate with him- iolite, red garnets, rutilated quartz, pale yellow citrine and sunstone.

There's a picture of them here, though it's a little dark:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/lafiamma/apollobeads.jpg

I also have some for Dionysus made of rhyolite, red garnets, green, lavender and wine-colored pearls and glass beads

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/lafiamma/dionysusbeads.jpg

the dionysus ones are pretty,.

ALl the prayer beads ive made, and I've made 3 different ones, plus a ritual one, are done with pony beads and leather thong.  One has an arrowhead for the medallian, has a stone heart I found, one just has a pony bead hanging off there, and the ritual one (wiccish) uses shaped beads, some that were given to me serendipitously, and others I had to go find.  For air, earth, water, the working, and cakes, I used beads (airplane, bunny, fish, soccor ball, and wierd face), given to me by my sister as thank you beads she gave to her cub scout camp staff.  They were perfect and already sized for the leather thongs they were using in the camp.  End result, they were cheap and functional, and if my kids got them, I could fix them easily.  I was given a small one with tiny wooden beads strung on hemp by a friend and I have an actual rosary I got in Assissi when I was an exchange student 25 years ago. 

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
redbaron998
Journeyman
Last Login:August 01, 2009, 12:36:11 am

Religion: Odinist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: June 25, 2009, 01:26:43 am »

I love prayer beads, sadly I cannot think of a proper allocation within Odinism :/

Hmm unless you did one with 24 beads and the Runes on them and meditated on the Runes with it...Cheesy

To Teach is to Learn, to Learn is to Teach
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 11, 2020, 09:37:09 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: June 25, 2009, 11:04:56 am »

My main intent with it is to have a way to honor all of Those in my personal pantheon - I worry that some of Them get neglected. I have a feeling that that might be useful for you too, based on how many you've written about working with.
I already have an astral (or someplace) practice that involves a quick check-in with each of them; it's actually sorta-kinda what my plan with the beads is based on - the beads will be a physical representation of it in a way.  I don't think it means I'll check in more often (nor do I feel I particularly need to), but I think it'll make it a bit more something I can do where/whenever; going Elsewhere (enough to concentrate properly; coterminous doesn't cut it unless there's minimal distraction here) isn't something I consider advisable to do under all circumstances.

Making the bead-string - especially the process of negotiating who would like what sort of bead - has been, and I hope/expect will continue to be, good for getting better acquainted with the ones I don't know as well.  (Or sometimes those I do - there's always more to know, just like with human-type people.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #28: September 17, 2009, 06:19:42 pm »

Have you used prayer beads in your practice?  If you have, I'd love to hear what you've done.  I'd love to see pictures if you have them.

I've just made myself three new prayer bead sets, in the form of bracelets, one for each of the three pantheons I work with. The first is for the Déithe, made of amber, wood and bone beads; the second is for the Netjeru, made of amethyst, pearls and glass beads; the third is for the Theoi, made of green chalcedony, shells and ceramic beads. The pictures are too big to post (I can't remember how to resize in bbcode) but you can click to see them: Celtic, Kemetic and Hellenic.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: September 17, 2009, 07:48:01 pm »

They're beautiful, Juni.

How will you use them as prayer beads?  Do you have a set of prayers to "go with" the bracelets?

Just curious.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:37:54 pm by Star, Reason: Fixing BBcode » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)