The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2020, 10:12:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 10:12:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Take a leap into hyperspace  (Read 1689 times)
Phoenix
Adept Member
Last Login:June 14, 2011, 05:51:50 am
United States United States

Religion: Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 25, 2007, 12:35:05 pm »

EVERY year, the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics awards prizes for the best papers presented at its annual conference. Last year's winner in the nuclear and future flight category went to a paper calling for experimental tests of an astonishing new type of engine. According to the paper, this hyperdrive motor would propel a craft through another dimension at enormous speeds. It could leave Earth at lunchtime and get to the moon in time for dinner. There's just one catch: the idea relies on an obscure and largely unrecognised kind of physics. Can they possibly be serious?

http://space.newscientist.com/article/mg18925331.200-take-a-leap-into-hyperspace.html

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 25, 2007, 05:46:38 pm »

Can they possibly be serious?

Quite serious as the article goes on to state. The main problem with this theory seems to be that very few people understand it well enough to truly comment on it but what parts are understood have made very accurate predictions. While I have my doubts about the hyperspace bit, it really is no weirder than string theory -- and it is far more testable.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Phoenix
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 25, 2007, 07:13:17 pm »

The main problem with this theory seems to be that very few people understand it well enough to truly comment on it but what parts are understood have made very accurate predictions.

Shades of Maxwell ....
In more ways that one

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."
- Ronald Reagan
Phoenix
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 25, 2007, 09:50:13 pm »

While I have my doubts about the hyperspace bit, it really is no weirder than string theory -- and it is far more testable.
I keep an open mind about the extra dimensions, but I'd like to see some kind of evidence before assuming the laws of physics will be different

- Ronald Reagan
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: April 25, 2007, 10:45:58 pm »

I keep an open mind about the extra dimensions, but I'd like to see some kind of evidence before assuming the laws of physics will be different

At least there is apparently a go/no go experiment for this theory, unlike string theory. It's apparently somewhat beyond current technology, but not by that much.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Phoenix
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 25, 2007, 11:55:33 pm »

It reminds me of Lt. Jean Plantier's musings on an interstellar drive back in the 50's

I haven't found an English translation, but for those who can read French ... http://www.ovni.ch/archives/plantier.htm

- Ronald Reagan

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)