The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 05, 2021, 02:56:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 02:56:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Chronic Mental Illness  (Read 25103 times)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: April 12, 2009, 01:41:17 am »

Folks like this sound just like the Fundie Christians who believe that all problems (medical, financial, family, etc.) are all caused by being "not right with God" and that the only really solution to problems is to "get right with God."  It's no less silly just because it comes from a Pagan or a New Age point-of-view.

They always make me want to hurt them over and over while telling them to "right with God" their way out of it.

Seems fair. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Kayti
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 29, 2009, 08:02:29 pm

Religion: undecided

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: April 29, 2009, 07:08:30 pm »

Folks like this sound just like the Fundie Christians who believe that all problems (medical, financial, family, etc.) are all caused by being "not right with God" and that the only really solution to problems is to "get right with God."  It's no less silly just because it comes from a Pagan or a New Age point-of-view.

I know what you mean by that. I actually got kicked out of church as a kid because the pastor said that if I really believed in God I would not be bi-polar, and since I was bi-polar I didn't really believe in God so I didn't belong in church. That was okay with me though, because I was already thinking about leaving church and discovering more about the Goddess at that point anyways.

I have bi-polar disorder type II, chronic treatment resistant depression and several personailty disorders (I can never remember all thier names) which mean I don't like being around people or interacting with them. I've taken almost every drug on the market and none of it has worked, but I still keep taking it I don't know why. Right now I am on Abilify and Pristiq, but I still think about killing myself literally every day. My doctor thinks I should be in a mental hospital, but I don't want to go, as I've thought of killing myself for years and I haven't tried in months so I think I should get some sort of kudos for that.

Veritas Lux Mea - The truth is my light
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #32: May 01, 2009, 12:34:30 am »

Right now I am on Abilify and Pristiq, but I still think about killing myself literally every day. My doctor thinks I should be in a mental hospital, but I don't want to go, as I've thought of killing myself for years and I haven't tried in months so I think I should get some sort of kudos for that.

Haven't tried in a few months, meaning you tried a few months ago?

I hope you're doing significantly better. 

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2009/02/27/funny-pictures-concerned-kitteh/
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #33: May 01, 2009, 08:08:46 am »

I've taken almost every drug on the market and none of it has worked, but I still keep taking it I don't know why.

Perhaps they help some and you realize that at some level?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Sandi
Apprentice
Last Login:April 30, 2010, 05:58:25 pm

Religion: Zen Taoist

You are a mere human.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: May 01, 2009, 02:34:24 pm »

I have been suffering from mental illness my entire life. Frequently, these illnesses are ignored unless a sufferer does something drastic. Unfortunatly, these illnesses often go misdiagnosed, underdiagnosed, under and mistreated, and just flat out ignored.
Keilia
I've also had problems all my life. My problem has been the DSM-IV criteria. I seem to have a few symptoms of many different syndromes. But, if you don't score enough symptoms, the insurance won't pay, and you don't get treatment. I think this is a fairly big problem. If you get a good doc that can think for himself, hang on to her. Smiley

If it was meant for everyone to follow a teacher, would there be a single person who'd be without a teacher for a moment? Does the quest for knowledge mean replacing one's true feelings with the teachings of someone else?  -- Zhuangzi (translated by Nina Correa)
Kayti
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 29, 2009, 08:02:29 pm

Religion: undecided

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: May 01, 2009, 08:06:45 pm »

Haven't tried in a few months, meaning you tried a few months ago?

I hope you're doing significantly better. 

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2009/02/27/funny-pictures-concerned-kitteh/

Yeah I tried when my boyfriend and I broke up. It was really stupid, but it was how I felt at the time (it really was for the best though). That was over six months ago, so I think I've been doing really well since then.

Veritas Lux Mea - The truth is my light
Nehet
Adept Member

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #36: May 01, 2009, 09:31:19 pm »

Yeah I tried when my boyfriend and I broke up. It was really stupid, but it was how I felt at the time (it really was for the best though). That was over six months ago, so I think I've been doing really well since then.

Good to know  Smiley
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #37: May 02, 2009, 02:08:55 pm »

I've also had problems all my life. My problem has been the DSM-IV criteria. I seem to have a few symptoms of many different syndromes. But, if you don't score enough symptoms, the insurance won't pay, and you don't get treatment. I think this is a fairly big problem. If you get a good doc that can think for himself, hang on to her. Smiley

I don't think that is really a problem with the DSM-IV so much as our shitty American healthcare system.  The folks that made the DSM recognize there are other mental issues that haven't been investigated enough to come up with accurate criteria for yet.  Psychologists and psychiatrists advocate treatment for any issues that interferes with life functioning, whether it perfectly meets listed criterion or not.  It is the insurance companies looking for another way to avoid paying for mental health care that are misusing the DSM.

Sperran
PurpleCrow
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 28, 2010, 12:39:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: July 09, 2009, 11:54:57 am »

Anyone here have any similiar issues?

Sadly, mental health problems are very much part of my everyday life - I suffer from major depression and my partner has ultra rapid cycling bipolar disorder. I'm medicated and feel much much much better since moving etc. My partner isnt medicated, he is waiting for an appointment with the Community Mental Health Team - he's been waiting nearly a year now Sad I need to get myself on the list for the CMHT but havent got round to it yet.
Its tough, dealing with it all and I hate the stigma attactched to mental health disorders.

raelyn218
Apprentice
Last Login:February 02, 2016, 11:45:02 am

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: July 09, 2009, 09:21:13 pm »

Sadly, mental health problems are very much part of my everyday life - I suffer from major depression and my partner has ultra rapid cycling bipolar disorder. I'm medicated and feel much much much better since moving etc. My partner isnt medicated, he is waiting for an appointment with the Community Mental Health Team - he's been waiting nearly a year now Sad I need to get myself on the list for the CMHT but havent got round to it yet.
Its tough, dealing with it all and I hate the stigma attactched to mental health disorders.

I myself am ultra rapid cycling Bipolar, along with major depression, psychosis, schizophrania, and possibly multiple personality (jury's still out on that verdict).

I just started Haldol injections monthly, Haldol tablets, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Cymbalta and Amantadine for the reaction to the Haldol. I'm also on Pecocet, Tramadol, and Neurotin for Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.

I am 24, married, with 3 kids 5, 4, and 2 1/2. If that wasn't enough to screw me up add in the mental illnesses...and I'm still denied SSD/SSI. We're reapplying with my Dr saying I cannot work because I become "homicidal towards others."

That should provide a smile to someone's face.

-Demonna
Lovesdalionking
Master Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:39:44 pm

Religion: Searching Solitary Human Being

You are beautiful, no matter what

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: July 11, 2009, 01:23:14 pm »

I myself am ultra rapid cycling Bipolar, along with major depression, psychosis, schizophrenia, and possibly multiple personality (jury's still out on that verdict).

I just started Haldol injections monthly, Haldol tablets, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Cymbalta and Amantadine for the reaction to the Haldol. I'm also on Pecocet, Tramadol, and Neurotin for Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.

I am 24, married, with 3 kids 5, 4, and 2 1/2. If that wasn't enough to screw me up add in the mental illnesses...and I'm still denied SSD/SSI. We're reapplying with my Dr saying I cannot work because I become "homicidal towards others."

That should provide a smile to someone's face.

-Demonna

I'm so sorry to all of you. Sad

Heh, I guess reading this topic just shows me how lucky I have it compared with others.

My depression started around 12-13 years old. Because of my very mild ASD issues, and because I am aware of other people and how they may react towards me, I am susceptible to depression. I take Prozac now and I am VERY happy most of the time, but for a few years I was sad all the time. It was due to a lack of friends and incredible low self-esteem. I had suicidal thoughts, but I wouldn't do anything to hurt myself. It wasn't until recently I had the prozac and I got into a relationship that my life started getting better.

I will admit though, I had a recent blood test and when I felt the syringe take my blood out, (It was to see if my thyroid was working properly, in which it was) I was relieved because I felt that literal toxins where being sucked out of me. That night I did feel like cutting myself, but my mom was there and she just hung around with me so I wouldn't do anything. The urge passed and I was okay, but yeah... 

I don't know if you would call PDD-NOS a mental illness, but I know depression is. So yeah...
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: July 11, 2009, 02:22:54 pm »

I'm so sorry to all of you. Sad

Heh, I guess reading this topic just shows me how lucky I have it compared with others.

The thing I try to keep in mind is that mental illness is no longer quite the horror it once was.

In 1936, there was no treatment for bipolar.  Period.
When my daughter needed that treatment, it existed, and because of treatment, she's going to be fine in life.  Sometimes she needs meds, other times she does great on fish oil alone. 

Many of the mental illnesses can now be controlled well enough for people to live relatively normal, happy, healthy lives with proper care.  What we need now is universal health care that actually covers treatment.

Nehet
Adept Member

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #42: July 12, 2009, 12:39:27 am »

Many of the mental illnesses can now be controlled well enough for people to live relatively normal, happy, healthy lives with proper care.  What we need now is universal health care that actually covers treatment.

*here here!*

(quick prayer to Sekhmet that politicians will soon have some sense in that department)
tinapo85
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 02, 2011, 12:52:04 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Tina Palmer

Ignore
« Reply #43: March 14, 2010, 11:03:58 pm »

Hi,

My name is Keilia, and I am new here. I have been suffering from mental illness my entire life. Frequently, these illnesses are ignored unless a sufferer does something drastic. Unfortunatly, these illnesses often go misdiagnosed, underdiagnosed, under and mistreated, and just flat out ignored. There seems to still be a stigma with mental illness. "It's all in your head", "Just snap out of it" etc. I can't even begin to count how many times I have heard those and other insulting remarks. Somehow since my illness can't be seen, it doesn't count.

Anyone here have any similiar issues?

Keilia

Sorry to jump in late...

I have been fighting depression since I was a pre teen maybe earlier. I was properly diagnosed at 15 and then in college we realized I had a lot more going on than depression. But I left therapy before we could nail it all down and I didn't want meds at that time. The therapist then actually told me that she believed my brain chemicals were screwed up because of things that had happened in my past. Even when I stopped showing up their office called me every few weeks to see if I was ready to come back. I just didn't want to hear then that I would need a lot more therapy.

Now I'm going to start seeing a therapist again. My mom suffers bouts of mild depression and I most likely inherited that, unfortunately I was also pretty badly abused (physically) by both my mom and dad between the ages of 2-19. So after moving out of my husbands house (His disabled dad lived with us and I was living in a flashback, poor guy didn't even do anything to me really), And being verbally aggressive towards my husband, and wanting to be dead I started looking around at getting help. So I'm hoping that a lot of my problems can be solved with behavioral therapy (I wasn't born this way, I was made this way), I also realize I should probably be more open to meds this time around. My last doctor must have been right.

I have joined an online support group for victims of child abuse until I can get an appointment made. The Community Guidance Center here just got approval from my insurance Friday afternoon. It sucks because my insurance only covers 5 visits, but after that they are going to switch me over to income based payment.

It sucks that I had to mess my marriage all up to figure it out. My support group would tell me not to blame myself, but It is my fault a little at least. My husband actually works in mental health and I wouldn't listen to him when he told me I should see someone. I just thought he was trying to be mean to me. I'm not sure what will happen there but I know I will continue with therapy as long as needed because I don't want to let this mess up the rest of my life.

So that is my story.
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #44: March 15, 2010, 03:03:05 am »

I am sorry Tinapo. I hope that you get al the support that you need to help you deal with all this. If there is anything that I can do, please ask. You can pm or email me if you want to.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)