The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 06, 2020, 05:49:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 06, 2020, 05:49:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Minor Gods/Goddesses?  (Read 3663 times)
Seika
Last Login:May 16, 2009, 12:02:01 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 05, 2009, 12:59:22 pm »

Hello all, I'm new to the boards and have been studying Paganism (in several different forms) for a couple months on and off.

Have any of you had experiences with so called 'minor' Gods or Goddesses? By 'minor', I mean ones that don't have many myths involving them, ones that didn't have a huge place in their respective religions/mythologies, etc.

I've been having experiences with a so-called 'minor' God for a while now - Thanatos. I've always had an interest in Him, and it's waned on and off throughout the years, but it's seemed to be stronger lately. I've done as much research as I can, and not much has turned up.

I've always been interested in mythology, especially Greek and Roman. I took Latin back in public school because of this interest.

Thanatos has popped up in various ways in my life, most recently in a dream a few days ago that got me asking about this here. The dream was very obvious - I was dreaming that I was doing a pathworking (something I have not yet been able to accomplish due to the lack of quiet places in my house) and that I received a sign from Thanatos. I don't remember what the sign was.

About a year ago I was interested in the video game Persona 3, which features Thanatos as a character. I stumbled across a stuffed animal of Thanatos as he appears in that game on Ebay, and on impulse I decided to buy it. I brought the stuffed animal with me on a plane trip I took, and for the last leg of the trip we were on a very loud plane that took many sharp turns and encountered a lot of turbulence. I remember grabbing the stuffed animal from my bag and thinking that it would protect me... now that I look back on that, it seems to have a lot more significance than I thought it did at the time.

So, anyways - does anyone have a minor God or Goddess that is important to them? How do you go about forming a relationship with Them when there is such little information available?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

bearlaurel
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 01, 2010, 06:42:24 pm

Religion: paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 08, 2009, 11:40:49 pm »

does anyone have a minor God or Goddess that is important to them? How do you go about forming a relationship with Them when there is such little information available?

I have been working on my outdoor temple for several years now.  A few years ago, I bought a statue and found out later that it was of Hebe.  I have tried finding things about her on the internet, but not much.  So far, I have found that she was a daughter and helper to Hera, the cup bearer to the Gods, she was, according to what I've read, the Goddess responsible for serving ambrosia to the Gods and keeping them young.  Later, she was married to Herakles.  I found something else that said freed slaves and prisoners would hang their restraints around the outside of her temples.  That is about all I have found about her. 

As far as forming a relationship with them, I seek out information concerning things attributed to them such as festival, offerings, sacred animals or other such things and create an area to honor them.  Maybe even meditate on their image.  That is about all I can think of if you if you can't find any information about them.
WickedWit
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2013, 10:05:25 pm

Religion: Hellenic Neo-Pagan & UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 09, 2009, 08:47:19 am »

So far, I have found that she was a daughter and helper to Hera, the cup bearer to the Gods, she was, according to what I've read, the Goddess responsible for serving ambrosia to the Gods and keeping them young.  Later, she was married to Herakles.  I found something else that said freed slaves and prisoners would hang their restraints around the outside of her temples.  That is about all I have found about her. 

Have you been to theoi.com looking?

http://theoi.com/Ouranios/Hebe.html

WickedWit

"He who cannot draw on three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: April 09, 2009, 03:51:57 pm »

So, anyways - does anyone have a minor God or Goddess that is important to them? How do you go about forming a relationship with Them when there is such little information available?

In my dealings with Bes I have mostly been ... paying attention to things.  I know I need to make a mask for Him before my baby is born, to add to my household deities shrine.  He isn't being terribly demanding on me at the moment, though I know some things that He would like done long-term.

bearlaurel
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 01, 2010, 06:42:24 pm

Religion: paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 09, 2009, 04:50:03 pm »

Have you been to theoi.com looking?

http://theoi.com/Ouranios/Hebe.html

Not yet, but thank you for the link.  I will definitely check it out.
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 09, 2009, 06:25:37 pm »

One thing I've noticed is that the minor deities are often early or sometimes later forms of more well-known ones. There are several forms of Isis and some of the Greek goddesses around. Or they are similar to forms of divine energy that I am already working with, or of one that is trying to get my attention. For ex., before I dedicated to Kali, I had experiences with two similar deities from very different parts of the world. The first one was Anat, a middle eastern love and war goddess who's iconography is practically the same as Kali's. The other was Ix Chel,  a Mayan moon and magic goddess, who is not terrifically similar, but who was presenting in a way that eventually helped me a lot when I started studying tantra and the Mahavidyas (the Ten Wisdoms, or goddesses, of Hindu shakta tantra). I only recently found out who Ix Chel is, after a long time of dreaming about her and seeing her imagery. It's always a relief when those threads get picked up at last.

I also tend to think that minor deities show up b/c I have a past life connection to them, in some way.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 09, 2009, 08:26:25 pm »

*scratches head* I am looking to get into a relationship with Semele and Ariadne, or at least feel I should do stuff for them that gets them out there in the "public eye" as it were. Also Menhyt and Anhur, whose relationship was more than likely the basis of the "Return of the Distant Goddess" myth and festival, with Anhur meaning "He who returns the distant one", I believe.

With them.. you tend to have to go a lot on UPG, but starting with what you know historically and then going from there. You can also keep in contact with people who follow major deities they might be connected to as well, as its possible they could have had minor encounters with these minor gods.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)