The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2020, 07:50:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 07:50:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Offerings for Artemis  (Read 12925 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 07, 2009, 09:12:43 am »

Fried saussages? Fried saussages?!

I dunno, I fried saussages the other day and had the feeling she liked the smell of them. Maybe I just imagined it (I hope so). Would you offer something like that?

Normally I offer incense, liquids I can poor down the sink the next day or stuff that's easily disposible in the park like fruits. But a piece of saussage? I don't have a garden where I can bury it and don't want to take it with me in the park.

Any ideas? Has anyone ever offered meat?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 07, 2009, 09:29:44 am »

I dunno, I fried saussages the other day and had the feeling she liked the smell of them. Maybe I just imagined it (I hope so). Would you offer something like that?

Normally I offer incense, liquids I can poor down the sink the next day or stuff that's easily disposible in the park like fruits. But a piece of saussage? I don't have a garden where I can bury it and don't want to take it with me in the park.

I think burnt offerings were pretty common in the past, including the hellenics which included Artemis. The priests would eat the edible bits afterwards, so you could offer them on a plate and then ceremonially eat it after the prayer/ritual/some set time later.

Stardancer

Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm
United States United States

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 07, 2009, 11:37:57 am »

I offer meat for almost all major sacrifices.  Beef, mostly, though pork has been on the menu more than once.  It is traditional offering fare.  For outdoor ritual, we cut off all the extra fat, and that gets burnt in the fire.  We put the meat on the altar for the gods to partake of their share, then we cook and eat our share. 

Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 07, 2009, 11:58:08 am »

Absolutely. In traditional Hellenic practice, libation and sacrifice were two separate acts, and in most cases the meat was eaten by the participants (communal meal being a big part of the ritual) and the gods got the unedible bits (which were burnt). It's thought that the aroma of the burnt sacrifices pleases/nourishes the gods as the food nourishes us.

fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 07, 2009, 09:08:19 pm »

Why do you hope you imagined it? Why not offer sausages?

I held a ritual a week and a half ago involving ten different Hellenic deities where they each got a feast plate of...oh geez, a lot of things...asparagus, baklava, stuffed grape leaves, spanikopita, pasta and chicken, lamb curry, rice, blueberry muffins and other stuff.

I've made offerings in the past of cake, fruit, entire sandwiches, habanero peppers, rosemary, nutmeg, brownies....I could list a bajillion things.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 08, 2009, 03:51:39 am »

Why do you hope you imagined it? Why not offer sausages?
I just found it a bit spooky to cook my lunch and have the feeling somebody is talking into my ear. But huh, if she likes the smell of fried sausages, I think I can get used to it. Many things just feel weird when you do them for the first time.

And so I guess I can just leave a bit of sausage at the altar and eat it a few hours afterwards.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: April 08, 2009, 01:22:01 pm »

I held a ritual a week and a half ago involving ten different Hellenic deities where they each got a feast plate of...oh geez, a lot of things...asparagus, baklava, stuffed grape leaves, spanikopita, pasta and chicken, lamb curry, rice, blueberry muffins and other stuff.
Suddenly I wish I was a Hellenic deity Cheesy.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 08, 2009, 04:36:15 pm »

Suddenly I wish I was a Hellenic deity Cheesy.
I wish I could keep up with fiamma's standard. Sounds like hotel theoi. Cheesy

I questioned my sanity for putting a fried sausage on my altar, but I guess it's just my Christian upbringing fighting back. I'd like to have a happy Goddess in my presence... Wonder if she would get mad if you deny her something she wants for too long?

Gee, what's next?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: April 08, 2009, 04:49:31 pm »

Gee, what's next?

Well, She is the goddess of the hunt, so venison maybe?

Wink

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Caroline
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 08, 2009, 05:00:03 pm »

Wonder if she would get mad if you deny her something she wants for too long?

Artemis? Yes. I try very hard to oblige when necessary.  Grin
Caroline
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 08, 2009, 05:01:07 pm »

Well, She is the goddess of the hunt, so venison maybe?

Wink

We always offer venison at the Elaphabolia.  (And deer-shaped shortbread cookies.)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 08, 2009, 06:07:19 pm »

Artemis? Yes. I try very hard to oblige when necessary.  Grin
I'm slightly scared, I don't want to see her mad. But I don't have much experiences on how quickly she would get mad and what I could make wrong. Are there specific no nos?

What kind of mad is mad anyway? Does she give warnings?

Caroline
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 08, 2009, 08:17:25 pm »

I'm slightly scared, I don't want to see her mad. But I don't have much experiences on how quickly she would get mad and what I could make wrong. Are there specific no nos?

What kind of mad is mad anyway? Does she give warnings?

Never promise anything you don't follow through on. She's picky about that, very particular about oaths (but then They all are, IME). And while Hellenism is generally orthopractic, simply going through the motions doesn't impress Her - going the extra mile does. Some deities are all about the challenge and the agon and Artemis is one of them. (So's Athene, and I'm sworn to both. What is it about me and the hard Ladies?)

Warnings, yes (in my case, a very vivid nightmare and an obvious omen), but I strongly suspect you only get one.

If it helps any, I'm still a bit scared of Her, too  Smiley

fiamma
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 08, 2009, 09:58:23 pm »

I wish I could keep up with fiamma's standard. Sounds like hotel theoi. Cheesy

hehehehehe....

My rituals aren't usually quite so elaborate, and that wasn't all me, that was five or six other people contributing to the spread as well.

My standard offerings are mostly bay leaves, white wine, water, roses for Apollo; red wine, nutmeg, rosemary for Dionysus; hot peppers, coffee, various candies and spare change for Hermes, as well as things like incense and candles for all.

fiamma
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 08, 2009, 10:05:34 pm »

I just found it a bit spooky to cook my lunch and have the feeling somebody is talking into my ear. But huh, if she likes the smell of fried sausages, I think I can get used to it. Many things just feel weird when you do them for the first time.

LOL...well at least she didn't throw them at you.

The first time I went to buy some wine for Dionysus, I nearly got clocked in the head by a bottle of Shiraz falling off the shelf. (started out looking at white wines...cause I'm a white wine sorta girl, I do loves me some nice New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.) And I heard this very distinct "Don't even think about it. Red Wine."

Uh...kay. Keep in mind I know *nothing* about red wine. So I'm looking for something and all I have to go on is that feeling, ya know? and I go to grab a bottle off the shelf and check it out, and it gets stuck because the bottle is *exactly* as high as the shelf. And in all that, and trying to get it unstuck, I knock another bottle over and just barely manage to catch it. Turn it over and lo and behold, there's a bottle of Shiraz.

Can't stand the stuff, but my rituals for Dionysus involve me drinking the wine too. The one time I decided to try something else to see if there was a red wine that we might both want, it didn't go over so well- he did not want that Cabernet Sauvignon. (I on the other hand, didn't mind it so much) The only white wine that's ever been accepted has been a Greek wine that had a picture of him on the label...lol

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)