The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2021, 12:06:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2021, 12:06:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Campus Talk  (Read 16080 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #15: May 19, 2009, 11:19:06 pm »

I really don't know much about Transformational Grammar... is it out of date or something? lol. The course catalog just says: "Analysis of the syntax of American English from the perspective of generative linguistics.

If it's the same as what I took (also almost 30 years ago) the notation makes a useful script for written spells.  I can't remember if your interests include magic, but if they do you may find some interesting applications for that course beyond schoolwork.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

xxxxxxxx xx xxxxxx
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 13, 2012, 11:46:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Herbalist with a dash of Kitchen Witchery

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 19, 2009, 11:24:42 pm »

Thanks for the congrats Morag and Hyacinth Belle! I'm excited about it! I'll be starting my duel masters in epidemiology and global health in the fall.  

And I feel you on the oak front. I love trees and luckily my campus is full of them (I decided to go to school here without ever seeing the campus).

I wish I had learned that my first go through in college.  Roll Eyes I was really dumb fresh out of high school.

I had lived in West Palm Beach prior to moving here and it's basically all palm trees down there. There still are palms here in Tampa, but I love the feeling of continuity and agelessness that I get from the old oaks.

It took me about three and a half of my four years here to finally get that balance down...I was pretty naive out of high school as it were  Cheesy

Scarabnight

xxxxxxxx xx xxxxxx
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 13, 2012, 11:46:34 pm

Religion: Herbalist with a dash of Kitchen Witchery

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 19, 2009, 11:32:11 pm »

My friends and I call it The White City and constantly joke that I'm going to light myself on fire, sprint in a straight line for a mile, and then jump off a cliff. (Please see Return of The King to know what I'm talking about.)

My first week here I was with my friend Bryce and I noticed it and said "Oh my gods! We're going to school in Middle Earth!" Cheesy To which he responded "Only if you light yourself on fire, sprint for a mile in the same direction, and fall off a cliff." And I smiled and grabbed a match and he had to tell me he wasn't serious.

We have since decided that this makes Vancouver and the Lower Mainland Mordor (and Gordon Campbell Sauron, obviously Wink </political joke>).

So, kinda off topic, but did you see that Tolkien has a new book out? It was written by him a long time ago and just recently found in his desk (or some such location) by (insert relative here, I think it was his son). It's just chock full of Norse mythology  Grin  I was so excited when we got it in stock at my store! From what I've read so far it's great Smiley 

and thus ends by bookseller recommendation, for now  Wink

Scarabnight 

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 20, 2009, 07:09:57 am »

We all found it very--unusual. Our entire class had come up through school with the old-fashioned grammar, and this was just... weird. I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised. It took that long to come up with a "new" grammar, so the "new" one will probably be around for quite some time. I couldn't tell you anything specific about how it works, of course; those of us who went into teaching never used it in the classroom, because all of THOSE books were 10-15 years old and the same grammar we'd grown up with. Seemed rather a waste of learning, at the time. Perhaps it will be different for your class. I can hope. :-)

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 20, 2009, 07:52:14 pm »

If it's the same as what I took (also almost 30 years ago) the notation makes a useful script for written spells.  I can't remember if your interests include magic, but if they do you may find some interesting applications for that course beyond schoolwork.
Hmm. Interesting. Not really into magic right now, but who knows. I'll keep that in mind for sure - thanks!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 20, 2009, 07:56:55 pm »

We all found it very--unusual. Our entire class had come up through school with the old-fashioned grammar, and this was just... weird. I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised. It took that long to come up with a "new" grammar, so the "new" one will probably be around for quite some time. I couldn't tell you anything specific about how it works, of course; those of us who went into teaching never used it in the classroom, because all of THOSE books were 10-15 years old and the same grammar we'd grown up with. Seemed rather a waste of learning, at the time. Perhaps it will be different for your class. I can hope. :-)
I hope to be able to use it... I would love to wiggle very basic linguistics into class. Especially the neurolinguistic stuff and syndromes and aphasias. Smiley We'll see how it goes with the trans. gram.!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather
« Reply #21: May 21, 2009, 12:30:23 am »

<snickers>  Though it'd work better if Vancouver was the capital.  Still... <snickers some more>.

(Does this mean you'll be able to appreciate jokes I make about Alberta politics?)

Sunflower

I *knew* it would make you snicker. Smiley And yeah, the geography's not perfect. But still. (And I always think about Vancouver as the capital, even though I know it's not. It just seems like it should be.)

I may get jokes about Alberta politics. If not I have a mom who is way more into Canadian politics than I am, and grew up in Alberta to boot. So she'll most likely appreciate them, and then it will be like a family appreciation. Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: May 21, 2009, 12:50:25 am »

- Sofas and comfy chairs in the library "living room." Mmmm. For a commuter, this is the prime place to take a nap between classes when needed. lmao. I'm definitely not alone in this. I think they should have a designated "nap room." People would definitely use it. And the couches and chairs are a nice alternative to the traditional hard chairs and tables.

Oh, that sounds like heaven! The comfiest chairs and couches our school has is at the SUB Pub, which is not terribly convenient as you can't really nap there.

Dislike:
- PARKING. Finding parking as a commuter student is part art, part luck. I feel so bad stalking people as they walk out to their car, but so be it. Technically, we do have a decent parking garage, but it's on the furthest end of campus possible. Like out in Timbuktu. No way.

Feel you there! I have to take the bus or walk; using a car would make me need to murder people. (And they just blocked off all the side of the road parking across the street from campus -- so now there's even less space, and all of it is paid. Bloody parking service.)

- I'm an English ed major (yous probably know that!), and the English department is one of the largest yet is still understaffed. They offer a gazillion Intro. to Comp. and literature survey classes. That's nice. But then there are SO FEW sections of the advanced classes, and they're almost all 6 - 9 at night because the general education classes are offered during the day. So you may not be even able to take the classes you want/need if they're scheduled at the same time. That happened to me this coming semester - I can't take Shakespeare and Romanticism because they're at the same time. It's ridiculous, when 60+ people *need* Transformational Grammar, and they offer one section of it (generally 30 or less students). WTF?! Another class that was a huge issue this semester was Teaching Writing. They literally cannot prevent your graduation, though, so some of us are half trying to band together and file a complaint. It's way too stressful trying to get advanced English courses. Juniors and Seniors should NOT have a problem finding classes!!! grrr.

*nod nod*

Tell me about it! I decided to take summer courses to further myself so I can finish my degree quicker and...yeah, how about no? The only 3rd and 4th year courses offered in summer are in areas I'm not studying. I have to wait until the actual school year to take the courses I need to, and then the Creative Writing courses are at the same time as my Theatre or my Theatre's where my French is or they don't even offer the course I need for the next year so I have to wait an entire semester and oh gods.....

This must be something most, if not all, college students past or present can sympathize with. I hear similar stories whereever I go. Hell, when I first enrolled in college I was ranting to my mom about registration difficulties and she just nodded and said "Yup. Hasn't changed. And back in my day we had no computer systems, so we had to run all over campus with pieces of paper to be signed by various people, and if the pieces of paper were lost...we cried." (Or something along those lines.)

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: May 21, 2009, 08:08:08 am »

<snippage>

This must be something most, if not all, college students past or present can sympathize with. I hear similar stories whereever I go. Hell, when I first enrolled in college I was ranting to my mom about registration difficulties and she just nodded and said "Yup. Hasn't changed. And back in my day we had no computer systems, so we had to run all over campus with pieces of paper to be signed by various people, and if the pieces of paper were lost...we cried." (Or something along those lines.)

Mom's right. :-) Except we had it a little better than she, from the sound of things. Our registration was all done in one room (with a student body of about 600, that was possible), and we had to get from table to table in time, rather than building to building. It was still not unknown, however, to be >< thisclose to finishing in one line, *right next to* the one you needed next, and watch that one close up shop. And great was the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth at that time.

So far I haven't had trouble with the online classes; I take only one at a time, for five weeks. I don't know what my next one will be; I was told early on that I would be moving directly into the 300-400 levels, since I already *have* my first undergrad degree and all those credits *will* transfer (Ashford doesn't have an "expiration date" on previous credits earned). I'll find out within the next month, I suppose, whether registering is a breeze or a pain.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: May 21, 2009, 08:30:40 pm »

lol. Yes, a friend of mine graduated from the school I'm at now back in the 80s... she's told me how everyone had to go to the main gym and go around tables like Starglade said.

Now I'm up half an hour before my scheduled registration time... usually like, 5:30 in the morning, and refreshing my page watching classes I want dwindle down and down as the group ahead of my registers. Sad Somehow it all works out. I snagged the very last seat to Teaching Writing for this fall... I gots mad typing skillzzz!!!! lol.

Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: November 18, 2009, 10:41:20 pm »

The newspaper at my current school is much better (but still makes me tear my hair out every once in a while).

Brief rant about my newspaper, which is making me want to tear my hair out right now.

Dear Navigator,

Please, please, please oh please, get someone who knows what the hells s/he's talking about for your theatre reviews. Your bad reviews hurt my department's image and usually because it's by someone who says "Well, I don't like theatre, so I didn't like the play." You have NO idea what it takes to put on a show, and especially not the shows we do -- we staged a full musical in 3 weeks, and while I'll be the first to admit the material we had to work with has terrible, credit is due to the actors and actresses and techies who pulled it off because we did AWESOMELY.

Also, get your editor to learn the English, please. If you're going to say bad things about my department have the courtesy to have proper grammar while you do it. Thanks.

/rant. Review for The Balcony came out today and while I could agree with it on a lot of points, it was again very obviously by someone who didn't know anything about theatre. Which drives me batty.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #26: November 19, 2009, 06:58:41 am »

we staged a full musical in 3 weeks, 

Good lord.  (((Morag))))

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: November 19, 2009, 07:53:22 am »

....we staged a full musical in 3 weeks....

That's very impressive in and of itself.

Unfortunately, these type of reviews tend to be handled by people who aren't all that familiar with what they are reviewing -- especially in small newspapers.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #28: November 19, 2009, 03:26:06 pm »

College and university campuses may be similar, but I figure they're different enough we could have a thread where we talk about the things we love or hate about our particular schools. Smiley

This includes things like how the administration handles registration, etc, the social atmosphere, how pretty or well laid-out or not the actual physical campus is, or if something particularly cool/stupid happened at school and you want to gush/rant about it. Cheesy Or anything else campus-related you can think of! Go wild! (Well...mildly wild. Wink)

I attend a Junior college, but my god, the stupidities...
My psychology 101 teacher shouldn't be teaching a general ED class. We have less than a month and even with chapter skipping we are soooo behind. Thank god I took AP psych in high school.

But even worse than stupid teachers is the administration. They just got finished putting in a huge new building and guess what they are doing now? Cutting over a thousand classes for spring semester. Most of it the specialized classes. And, since we are a community college as well, what else do they do? Cut the non-native english classes, the disabled persons services, the senior classes- everything that made this one of the best damn junior colleges in the valley. They are officially turning us into a transfer/certification school.

If I wanted to go to that sort of a school, I'd go to Kaplan or Maric or something like that. Not a junior college.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: January 26, 2010, 06:08:11 pm »

College and university campuses may be similar, but I figure they're different enough we could have a thread where we talk about the things we love or hate about our particular schools. Smiley

This includes things like how the administration handles registration, etc, the social atmosphere, how pretty or well laid-out or not the actual physical campus is, or if something particularly cool/stupid happened at school and you want to gush/rant about it. Cheesy Or anything else campus-related you can think of! Go wild! (Well...mildly wild. Wink)

Things I love:
1. I attend the University of the Virgin Islands, on the island of St. Croix. So because it's a US territory, my federal financial aid paid for me to move to the Caribbean. Sucks to be me, huh? :p

2. The public transportation here is amazing, so I don't even need a car. I can take a VITRAN (public) bus for 75 cents, anywhere on the bus line, or a taxi "bus" (really a 15 passenger van) for 2.50 anywhere on the island.

3. Guava tarts at Thomas's Bakery. 'Nuff said.

4. I can get my shampoo, soap, toothpaste, and even deodorant at the campus bookstore, and it's ALL ORGANIC!

5. My favorite person in the world, who makes my life a brighter and better place just by being alive, lives here on the island, and we get to see each other a few times a week.

6. It's 75-85 degrees year round.

7. 10 minutes on the bus, and I'm at the beach.

Things I hate:
1. The constant stench of marijuana on campus. I'm sensitive to smells, and that stuff to me smells like a person who hasn't bathed in a couple of weeks. It makes me nauseous.

2. My classes are easier at the university level than they were at the junior college I attended before. I've got an upper-level Spanish class this semester, and the professor doesn't speak it even as well as I do.

3. Intolerance. You'd think, with so many people in the VI who practice Vodou and Santeria and Obeah, that it would be fairly accepted to practice faiths outside the JCI tradition. Not so much. The local bookstores each have *one* shelf of books on any kind of spirituality other than Christianity, and most of those books are about dream interpretation, which isn't something I do. And there's no tolerance for it on campus--it's considered OK for other students to make ignorant remarks about why I'm taking the bus if I could just fly on my broom, or for university staff (!) to lecture me about repentance, or for me not to be allowed the tools I'm accustomed to using for ritual purposes in my room. No candles, no incense, no athame, no alcohol, no food left out for offerings.

4. It's so disorganized! I can ask the same question of four different university staff members and get six different answers. No one has a coherent answer or even a basic sense of how things should be run.

5. I swear I must be the only one on the island who owns a watch. I spend half my time waiting on other people to show up...including my professors!

6. The cafeteria food. It's disgusting. And the woman who works lunchtime in the snack bar is just evil--she tried to come across the counter at me the other day, just because I told her I wanted a veggie burger and she'd given me a fish sandwich! (Nobody except the Rastafarians on campus quite understands about being a vegetarian. The first day, I asked what they had that didn't contain meat, and this same woman said, "Ummm....we have chicken!" Huh)

7. The other off-island students all come from money and live to rub it in other people's faces. One is here through an exchange program, and her program requires her to have a room on campus. But in addition, her parents have rented her a 3-bedroom condo, so she only comes to campus to eat off her meal plan. Another was adopted by a family that's in the film industry, and brags that her adoptive sister works for the singer Rihanna (but she wasn't above borrowing a pair of my shoes and never bringing them back). Another was a debutante. They're all obsessed with drinking and partying and raising hell, and they make fun of me mercilessly because I don't.

8. Reggae and dancehall music, at top volume, when I'm trying to sleep/study/watch TV. I don't like the music anyway, and having it blasted from the room directly above me is so annoying.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)