The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 15, 2021, 05:45:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2021, 05:45:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: War Magick  (Read 13072 times)
Adeptus
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 24, 2009, 08:30:17 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Of my own creation

Nothing is true, everything is permited...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: April 20, 2009, 07:38:53 pm »

Sorry if I poorly expressed myself; you did not give the impression at any point that you were in favour of the war. I can see what you mean on the patriotism front; I was just trying to find a principle that some people might place above the 'don't attack other people' principle.
Many people of many nations give their lives in the name of patriotism and in my opinion that, is a high degree of dedication in a somewhat abstract belief and i see very little to distinguish this level of belief in fact i would challenge many people be they pagans, christians or whatever to lay down their lives for their beliefs (not withstanding suicide bombers who appear to be victims of psychological/physical coersion) and lay down their lives for their beliefs. Is the level of investment in a moral belief system exhibited by soldiers who die for their cause so far removed from spiritual dedication?

I know this is going to come across as emotive and inflamatory but i'm just trying to objectify the issue.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Adeptus
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 24, 2009, 08:30:17 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Of my own creation

Nothing is true, everything is permited...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: April 20, 2009, 07:41:17 pm »

i see very little to distinguish this level of belief in fact i would challenge many people be they pagans, christians or whatever to lay down their lives for their beliefs (not withstanding suicide bombers who appear to be victims of psychological/physical coersion) and lay down their lives for their beliefs. ?

Apologies for the repetition involved in the typo Tongue
Black0lSun
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 25, 2011, 06:40:19 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic/inlimbo

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: April 20, 2009, 08:15:27 pm »

Iraq = attack others for personal gain'

Aw man, really?? I thought my country went over seas to free the poor Iraqies from a tyrant, and help them set up a "democracy" while also taking out the baddies who took down our trade towers. Man I loved the world trade center. Never actually went there.. but oh well.
Is it blind patriotism to believe in helping people and defending your country? The idea behind us going, whether Bush was really greedy for oil, or not, seemed right... at the time. Not like I was holding up a sign saying "War is bad". Sure Bush did a piss poor job of it all, but I'm pretty sick of politics. It doesn't get anything done. Smiley Hope we don't go there hehe.

Expect the unexpected.. OMG A NINJA!
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #33: April 20, 2009, 09:52:31 pm »

Hope we don't go there hehe.

Ditto. It's not a perspective that I'd try to defend, as I know it grossly oversimplifies the situation. It did serve its purpose for the sake of discussion though I think Smiley

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: April 21, 2009, 11:12:49 am »

Sorry if I poorly expressed myself; you did not give the impression at any point that you were in favour of the war. I can see what you mean on the patriotism front; I was just trying to find a principle that some people might place above the 'don't attack other people' principle.

I didn't think you were saying I was patriotic (and I am within reason), I was stating that for some people (myself included) my personal ethical/moral set beats out and state generated patriotism.  And if one's personal ethics/morals disagree with what would be patriotic, then one would NOT be doing magic to help 'the war effort' in any way.  If one did that sort of magic, one would probably do something to stop the war. 

AntlerandHerb.com

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)