The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 16, 2018, 07:28:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 07:28:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Are there people who are unable to do magic -- not from lack of training or knowledge -- but from natural inability?
Yes, somre people are unable to do magic
No, everyone can do magic
Other [Please Explain]

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do Muggles Really Exist?  (Read 9603 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 02:14:08 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: April 23, 2009, 08:48:31 pm »

In the Harry Potter novels, "Muggles" are the large part of the human species who lack the ability to do magic. Even with training and knowledge, they would be unable to do magic. That's just fiction, of course.

Most of the modern books on magic I've read claim that magic is something anyone can do -- some claim even without any training, knowledge, or practice. But is this true? I can't carry a tune in a bucket. Other people can't see certain colors. Why couldn't there be people who simply cannot do magic? Do you think such people exist? Why or why not?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 23, 2009, 08:55:58 pm »

In the Harry Potter novels, "Muggles" are the large part of the human species who lack the ability to do magic. Even with training and knowledge, they would be unable to do magic. That's just fiction, of course.

Most of the modern books on magic I've read claim that magic is something anyone can do -- some claim even without any training, knowledge, or practice. But is this true? I can't carry a tune in a bucket. Other people can't see certain colors. Why couldn't there be people who simply cannot do magic? Do you think such people exist? Why or why not?

Other.  IF magic is real, I suspect most if not all people can do *something* with it - though it might be crappy.  (can't carry a tune, but doesn't mean you can't sing.  Just means no one's gonna want to hear it. Wink )

Yes, different people have different skills.  But most things CAN be trained to some extent if they exist at all.  I *could* learn to be a capable sketcher, though I could never learn to be a brilliant painter.  So I suspect most people could learn the basics, given enough time and effort.

That said, there's better things to do. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 08:07:55 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: herbalgoddess13

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 23, 2009, 09:19:37 pm »

I think that if you believe and desire it, you can learn it.  My sister can't cook, she hates cooking, she has no desire to learn to cook.  However, faced with hunger, she'll fry up a mean grilled cheese. 

I feel that people are all unique and each person carries their own talents; some can sing professionally and some should keep their singing to the privacy of their own shower (it doesn't mean you can't sing, it just means that you can't sing well).  Training may help if you really put yourself into it, but chances are, you'll never make a living at it.

Many Christians don't believe in magic, but they believe in the power of prayer.  I believe that prayer is a form of magic. 

So to answer your question - yes, no and maybe.

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 23, 2009, 09:22:05 pm »

Other.  IF magic is real, I suspect most if not all people can do *something* with it - though it might be crappy.  (can't carry a tune, but doesn't mean you can't sing.  Just means no one's gonna want to hear it. Wink )

Yes, different people have different skills.  But most things CAN be trained to some extent if they exist at all.  I *could* learn to be a capable sketcher, though I could never learn to be a brilliant painter.  So I suspect most people could learn the basics, given enough time and effort.

I agree. Perhaps I should have put 'other' also. I put 'no, everyone can do magic', as I don't think that it's something only a few people are born being able to do, I think it's something you learn. Just some people are naturally better at it than others.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 23, 2009, 09:36:03 pm »

That said, there's better things to do. Cheesy

I voted Other and agree with HeartShadow's post here. Its a talent that can be used, despite how crappily it may be.

Perhaps a better comparison would be wizards and squibs? I know the latter in the books could do magic, but it wasn't very good at all. Then again like any fictional book, it does tend to box people in. I don't think we ever see a muggle try and attempt magic, and according to Rowling's laws they can't. Of course then there are people like Hermoine that pop up (already exceptional due to her being a muggle-born, but she's fantastically good at it).

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 23, 2009, 09:52:00 pm »

Other and going with Shad's explanation.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 24, 2009, 06:44:00 pm »

Why couldn't there be people who simply cannot do magic? Do you think such people exist? Why or why not?

My usual poll answer: Other.  There may be a few people who are physically or psychologically unable to focus long enough to do magic.  However, I think those are probably few and far between. 

loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 24, 2009, 09:41:42 pm »

Other.   I don't know how you could prove it one way or the other.  A persons mental attitude certainly has a fair amount to do with it. 
Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 24, 2009, 11:46:19 pm »

I chose that everyone is capable of doing magic. This is because I think magic is just a name for manipulating energy and no matter if we can't sing or not, no matter is we can see red or not, we are all made up of energy. I think we are all capable of manipulating energy, but there are many who don't do so because they are afraid or because they choose not to or because they don't understand the process. Others do magic but don't realize that they are manipulating energy. Then there are the ones that study and practice and work to do magic.

I believe that it is something we all can do naturally and that there are different forms of magic. Personally, I do not do spells and very few rituals. But I do feel that I use magic every day in my life by working with my plants and herbs, by getting my hands dirty in the soil, and by cooking for my family and aiding in the growth and happiness of my son, husband, and all the people and creatures in my life.

Just my 2 cents.

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 25, 2009, 03:33:30 am »

I think basicly everyone can do magic, but not everyone has enough talent, will and patience to do it well. Talent is something people are born with, but I think magic also depends a lot on attitude and worldview, which can be 'learned'. Most people simply don't do magic because they don't believe in it, thus don't have the necessary attitude for it. 

I wonder, those who voted that some can't do magic at all, do you think the ones who can do magic are the minority or those who can't?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 25, 2009, 01:42:07 pm »

I voted "other" simply because the term "magick" in my view is a highly subjective and painfully ambiguous term. Magick cannot be proven to be something separate and differentiated from skills such as cooking or even searching the want ads for jobs and such.

Of course semantics is also a huge issue..one can claim they can't draw yet can scribble out a stick figure so technically that is drawing; no one said it has to be good though, right?

Figment said it very well that we all do things naturally but I suppose it depends on what terminology you want to use to describe what you do. For example I suppose I am "good" with cats but I do not see it as magic in any form, to me it is just a "skill".

I don't know...I just see the term "magic" differently.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: April 25, 2009, 05:25:39 pm »

I don't know...I just see the term "magic" differently.

How do you see it?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 25, 2009, 08:10:13 pm »

How do you see it?

How do I see it.....are you sure you really want to know?

Ok..I think the term "magic" is a misnomer..a flashy word to describe an otherwise ordinary, everyday action.

For example, my family needed a water softener and we looked in stores for appropriate models but were unimpressed with the prices and complexity. We continued to scour the papers for such a unit until maybe four months later we happened to see a ad in the paper for a garage sale and one of the items was a water softener; it was just what we wanted. It was in great condition and the price was VERY reasonable so we bought it.

Was it any form of magic? Nope. just plain work. I simply think that magic is just a means of explaining the results of ordinary human work.

In other words I don't feel that magic is real. There..I've said it. Let the hatred and venom commence.

Neriandal Freit
Master Member
Last Login:May 22, 2011, 10:34:22 am

Religion: Pagan

Dancing under the moonlit stars

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 25, 2009, 09:24:11 pm »

I think it's possible - yes. We can have the clairvoyants, our dreamers and are green thumbs out in the world but not everyone can be each of those.

I believe that there is something like that out there. I really do.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: April 25, 2009, 10:29:55 pm »

In other words I don't feel that magic is real. There..I've said it. Let the hatred and venom commence.

I doubt you are the only member of TC who doesn't believe in magic. Smiley

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)