The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 20, 2021, 01:52:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2021, 01:52:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Growing thyme from seed  (Read 12058 times)
xxxxxxxx xx xxxxxx
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 13, 2012, 11:46:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Herbalist with a dash of Kitchen Witchery

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 25, 2009, 11:11:12 pm »

Hi all,

I start all of my plants from seed and I've never had trouble getting them to grow, normally it's finding big enough pots that's the problem (I live in an apartment, so my garden is all potted). Recently I decided to grow thyme and while it sprouts, it dies every time it gets about two or three inches tall. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

Thanks,
Scarabnight

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 26, 2009, 06:10:55 am »

I start all of my plants from seed and I've never had trouble getting them to grow, normally it's finding big enough pots that's the problem (I live in an apartment, so my garden is all potted). Recently I decided to grow thyme and while it sprouts, it dies every time it gets about two or three inches tall. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

The most likely culprit is damping off, a condition where seedlings wither at or near the soil line and die.  It's caused by a number of things, but all are made worse by wet soil/lack of ventilation.  How are you growing these?  What kind of soil (sand, clay, potting mix)?  I grow Mediterranean herbs in very sandy soil fortified with a little compost, and grow from seed in a soiless seed starting mix.  Everything I grow under lights also gets "the fan treatment" for a couple hours per day.  Any fan will do, but I use a little PC muffin fan.  This not only helps with ventilation, but also keeps the stems stalking and robust.

Best o' luck to you, and let us know how it goes.

Brina
xxxxxxxx xx xxxxxx
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 26, 2009, 08:37:57 pm »

The most likely culprit is damping off, a condition where seedlings wither at or near the soil line and die.  It's caused by a number of things, but all are made worse by wet soil/lack of ventilation.  How are you growing these?  What kind of soil (sand, clay, potting mix)?  I grow Mediterranean herbs in very sandy soil fortified with a little compost, and grow from seed in a soiless seed starting mix.  Everything I grow under lights also gets "the fan treatment" for a couple hours per day.  Any fan will do, but I use a little PC muffin fan.  This not only helps with ventilation, but also keeps the stems stalking and robust.

Best o' luck to you, and let us know how it goes.

Brina

Brina,

I've been using a layering technique with small rocks at the bottom of the pot, then sand, and then some soil at the top. I've tried keeping them inside and on my patio, but they still end up dying. How can I prevent this "damping off"?

Thanks,
Kelly

yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 27, 2009, 12:46:02 pm »

I've been using a layering technique with small rocks at the bottom of the pot, then sand, and then some soil at the top. I've tried keeping them inside and on my patio, but they still end up dying. How can I prevent this "damping off"?

Try mixing the sand with just a little potting soil (like a 3-to-1 ratio), try better ventilation (the fan technique really works--you only need to run it a few hours a day).  Can you tell me a bit more about the growing situation?  You're starting these seeds outdoors, yes?  What are the temps like right now?  Light situation?  Humidity?

If all else fails, try a new source of seed.

Brina
stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 27, 2009, 02:22:14 pm »

If all else fails, try a new source of seed.

Or try cuttings from someone who has an existing plant. Thyme grows very easily, and it is a lot easier to just break off a piece and put it in the soil.

Stardancer

xxxxxxxx xx xxxxxx
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 28, 2009, 11:56:30 pm »

Can you tell me a bit more about the growing situation?  You're starting these seeds outdoors, yes?  What are the temps like right now?  Light situation?  Humidity?

Brina

I'll try it with the sand ratio you suggested. With the fan, would a ceiling fan be adequate? I've been starting my plants on the patio. It's covered, but not screened in. I live in Florida, so it's pretty much warm and humid all year round. Right now it's 87 degrees out with 75% humidity. The patio faces south but it gets really good light.

Scarabnight

yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 29, 2009, 12:43:42 pm »

I'll try it with the sand ratio you suggested. With the fan, would a ceiling fan be adequate? I've been starting my plants on the patio. It's covered, but not screened in. I live in Florida, so it's pretty much warm and humid all year round. Right now it's 87 degrees out with 75% humidity. The patio faces south but it gets really good light.

Any ventilation is better than none, but something that blows directly on them is much more effective.  The key, though, is don't over-water.  Keep a close eye on those moisture levels after the seeds sprout.

You can also use stardancer's suggestion of growing from cuttings.  I admit I have a soft spot for seed-grown plants, though.  Something about the whole cradle-to-grave cycle.  I've got a few very old (like more than a decade old) perennials that I grew from seed and have moved from garden to garden over the years.  They're kinda like my "babies".  Wink

Brina
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 29, 2009, 06:08:27 pm »

An e-quaintance of mine was petting her tomato seedlings this year - she's been ill this winter and wasn't organized enough to get the fans set up.

I have no idea whether that'll be useful for you (I'm not a gardener at all; my thumb is sere and withered), but I kept being reminded of her post while reading this thread, so I thought I'd throw it in.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
xxxxxxxx xx xxxxxx
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 29, 2009, 11:44:05 pm »

You can also use stardancer's suggestion of growing from cuttings.  I admit I have a soft spot for seed-grown plants, though.  Something about the whole cradle-to-grave cycle.  I've got a few very old (like more than a decade old) perennials that I grew from seed

Brina

I thought that I might have been over watering them, but the soil didn't appear to be moist the way it gets if my other plants get too much water. How often would you suggest watering the thyme seedlings?

I'm the same way with my plants, all of my plants have been raised by me from the seed. Smiley  I have a basil that just keeps on kicking, although its not quite to the decade level yet, it's only halfway there Smiley

Scarabnight

xxxxxxxx xx xxxxxx
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 29, 2009, 11:48:20 pm »

Or try cuttings from someone who has an existing plant. Thyme grows very easily, and it is a lot easier to just break off a piece and put it in the soil.

Stardancer

I might be forced to do that if I can't get them to grow on my own. It's kinda sad though, all of my plants prior to this have been grown from seed.  Undecided

Thanks for the suggestion though Smiley
Scarabnight

xxxxxxxx xx xxxxxx
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 29, 2009, 11:51:50 pm »

An e-quaintance of mine was petting her tomato seedlings this year - she's been ill this winter and wasn't organized enough to get the fans set up.

Sunflower

This Petting seems like it's a nice way to spend some time and connect with your plants. I think I'm going to try to work it in as a part of my daily down time. Smiley

Thanks,
Scarabnight 

Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 30, 2009, 03:02:11 pm »

I might be forced to do that if I can't get them to grow on my own. It's kinda sad though, all of my plants prior to this have been grown from seed.  Undecided

Thanks for the suggestion though Smiley
Scarabnight
As someone else said, if you continue to have problems, go buy a different brand of seeds. I have real trouble growing thyme last year and my seeds came from a very reputable organic garden. My problem was I was trying to grow the creeping kind of thyme and my seeds for the wooded kind. I just happened to get a mislabled package. ::shrug::

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
xxxxxxxx xx xxxxxx
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 01, 2009, 11:18:32 am »

As someone else said, if you continue to have problems, go buy a different brand of seeds. I have real trouble growing thyme last year and my seeds came from a very reputable organic garden. My problem was I was trying to grow the creeping kind of thyme and my seeds for the wooded kind. I just happened to get a mislabled package. ::shrug::

I'm going to try the current seeds one more time, but if they don't take, then I might have to do that.

Thanks,
Scarabnight

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)