The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2022, 10:47:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2022, 10:47:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I got this is email.  (Read 4920 times)
Juniper
Adept Member
Last Login:January 06, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Hedgewitch with Neo-Wiccan leanings
TCN ID: Juniper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 27, 2009, 08:16:53 pm »

The whole thing pisses me off, but what really gets me is that part about Germany. What a bunch of crap.

'How she longed for winter then!-
Scrupulously austere in its order
Of white and black
Ice and rock; each sentiment within border,
And heart's frosty discipline
Exact as a snowflake'
~Sylvia Plath

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 27, 2009, 08:49:44 pm »

Oh yeah. IIRC, they were linking a whole lot of the economic problems to the fact that Obama was winning the Democratic nomination. That's about when you started seeing linkage to the stock market's ups and downs. It got a serious turn on last fall right before the election and then after the election, everything that happened was linked to him.

There is a fairly decent correlation between Obama's poll numbers & wins being inverse to the overall stock market.  Proving causation is going to be tough at best, and more likely impossible. 

As for linkage, not yet.  It will be Obama's recession, that he inheirited, around the summer of 2010 if the economy does not improve AND the general population do not see some visiable signs of the Jan 2009 stimulas package spending help them or friends or such.  If either one happens, then Obama will be the one that if not ended it, has started to end it. Noting that it will be Bush's recession for at least 15 years. 
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: April 27, 2009, 10:01:50 pm »

There is a fairly decent correlation between Obama's poll numbers & wins being inverse to the overall stock market.  Proving causation is going to be tough at best, and more likely impossible. 

I'm sure there is some relationship. After all, Obama policies are far less likely to be friendly to corporate shenanigans -- and therefore reduce the short-term profits that drive Wall Street these days. 

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 28, 2009, 08:46:40 pm »

I'm sure there is some relationship. After all, Obama policies are far less likely to be friendly to corporate shenanigans -- and therefore reduce the short-term profits that drive Wall Street these days. 

yeah, the shenanigans will now have the approval of the govt ahead of time.  Lots of the big money people are Democrats who would have voted for Obama in November.
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 29, 2009, 09:38:35 pm »

yeah, the shenanigans will now have the approval of the govt ahead of time.  Lots of the big money people are Democrats who would have voted for Obama in November.

The Democrats and the Republicans are both complicit in the gutting of the USA's industrial base through so-called "free-trade" policies, in fiscal irresponsibility on a previously unimaginable scale, and in the failure for decades to secure the USA's borders against illegal immigration. That's not even getting into the issue of actual corruption, which is very much a bipartisan affair.

The truly awful part for me is that everything the protectionists, the isolationists, the budget hawks, and the anti-immigration groups warned Americans about, back in the 1980s, is happening right now before our very eyes. Twenty-five years ago, well-meaning Democrats and Republicans all derided those "fringe" critics as racists and heartless, narrow-minded rubes.

Now those critics, in hindsight, seem to have been psychic. Not that you'll ever see the media class do a story about their collective amnesia with regard to those lonely voices in the political wilderness of the past. That would take time away from fawning over President Obama.

That's [just] one reason why I read The Economist. I may intensely disagree with its editorial opinions on various topics, but at least I don't have to worry about it distorting its coverage of American politics to suit a partisan agenda. I'll rot in Tartarus before I pay another cent for an American-based newsmagazine.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 30, 2009, 07:10:41 am »

The Democrats and the Republicans are both complicit in the gutting of the USA's industrial base through so-called "free-trade" policies, in fiscal irresponsibility on a previously unimaginable scale, and in the failure for decades to secure the USA's borders against illegal immigration. That's not even getting into the issue of actual corruption, which is very much a bipartisan affair.

The truly awful part for me is that everything the protectionists, the isolationists, the budget hawks, and the anti-immigration groups warned Americans about, back in the 1980s, is happening right now before our very eyes. Twenty-five years ago, well-meaning Democrats and Republicans all derided those "fringe" critics as racists and heartless, narrow-minded rubes.

Now those critics, in hindsight, seem to have been psychic. Not that you'll ever see the media class do a story about their collective amnesia with regard to those lonely voices in the political wilderness of the past. That would take time away from fawning over President Obama.

That's [just] one reason why I read The Economist. I may intensely disagree with its editorial opinions on various topics, but at least I don't have to worry about it distorting its coverage of American politics to suit a partisan agenda. I'll rot in Tartarus before I pay another cent for an American-based newsmagazine.

Okay. Alright on the free trade policies (as they have been being pursued and perhaps in general) being a problem, though significantly more of a problem for other countries than for us as we've been benefiting exponentially from the power we have to dictate those policies to others. But immigration??? I'm afraid this is one problem we can't place the blame for on the Mexicans.

Just because a financial crash was predicted by some group doesn't automatically make them right about the reasons for said crash. Heck, Phelps has been saying G-d would punish us for our gay loving ways for ages now and no one is starting to take him seriously... (bad example, I know, but I'm sleepy...). If you'd like to provide some sources that demonstrate a strong link between immigration and the crash then please do so.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.