The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 25, 2019, 01:08:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2019, 01:08:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How do you feel about your deity/ies?  (Read 4085 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 29, 2009, 12:33:38 am »

Do you like them? Respect them? Dislike them? Love them?
Do you trust them or mistrust them?
Do you find them impressive? Scary? Cute? Cuddly? Crazed? Annoying? Do you adore them or laugh about them?

Or do you just consider them business partners without any personal feelings for them?

Do have very different feelings for several deities you work with? Or do you love them all the same?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 29, 2009, 12:40:16 am »

At the moment, very frustrated.   Undecided

In general, though, it's very difficult to put into words how I feel about Brighid.  As I type this, I'm realizing just how hard!

A year ago, I would have probably said my feelings were of deep respect, as for a very special mentor.  That's still true, but I feel like our relationship has gotten much more complicated in the last year or so.  A few weeks ago, I received a message from Her during a meditation:  "I am you.  And you are me.  And we are so much more."  I'm trying to understand what that means, and I haven't been able to yet.  Every time I get close, it slips away from me.  Hence my frustration.   Wink

I'l have to give this some more thought.  Good question!  Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 29, 2009, 08:20:23 am »

Do you find them impressive? Scary? Cute? Cuddly? Crazed? Annoying? Do you adore them or laugh about them?

Or do you just consider them business partners without any personal feelings for them?

Do have very different feelings for several deities you work with? Or do you love them all the same?

The only god I interact with regularly is Apollo.

As far as how I feel about Him - that's really hard to put into words.  There's love, absolutely.  I cannot imagine my life without Him.  It's like imagining my life without my leg, or my heart.  He is a part of me, and I cannot remember a time He was not there.

That's not to say it's always hearts and flowers, of course.  There are times I get incredibly frustrated - and I know there are times He gets frustrated with me.  Sometimes at human limitations, sometimes at my pigheadedness. Smiley

I adore Him, but I have no doubt that He is greater than I am in every way.  That said, it's not a relationship of serf and overlord - more like knight and ruler.  I can do things He cannot - and I have the right to question orders.

At some level this question is hard to answer, because He simply IS.  And I love Him for what He is.  Not like a spouse, or like a parent or child - it's different.  It just IS.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 30, 2009, 03:22:20 am »

Thanks Moon Ivy and HeartShadow for sharing your experiences.

At some level this question is hard to answer, because He simply IS.  And I love Him for what He is.  Not like a spouse, or like a parent or child - it's different.  It just IS.
This is something I could write down for Artemis. I've wondered a lot if I'm going crazy because a few months ago I wouldn't have even understood that. But however different Her view of things is and however 'rough' I find Her attitude I do love Her. I've never understood how people can love any deity and growing up in Christianity without a real felt understanding of that religion I thought it was just some sirupy phrase for being pious. Now I'm not sure I know myself anymore or have known myself while I was claiming to be an atheist. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling that weird kind of love in some way.

Unlike what I thought it ment when I left Christianity it's really just love the way I feel it, not subservience or total adoration. I do adore Her the way She is and I know She has a 'higher' being and perspective of things, but otherwise we are just different beings who enjoy to share their different perspectives and abilities the best we can. (Well, I think She does enjoy 'working' with humans somehow, although She might get frustrated at our limits and slowliness sometimes, I'm not sure how gods feel towards humans.)

On the other aspects: While I love and adore Her I do find Her scary and find it sometimes a bit straining to deal with Her harsh and direct personality. It's hard to put into words. I find Her very demanding at times. She doesn't give me condescending commands, I feel respected by Her generally, but She likes to push at any boundary I haven't set firm enough. She has a very straight and unceremonious way to express her wishes and opinion about what *has* to be done. She's not commanding, but not requesting either. Often I feel a bit overextended for a moment and sometimes I wish She was less laconic, but She never tried to forced me to do anything or wanted anything that would go against my principles. She's just not very subtle or gentle.

While I'm slightly annoyed at this sometimes, if 'annoyed' is the right expression, I have some weird trust in Her. I don't do everything she says straight away, but I feel some kind of utmost trust that is the basis of everything I do on Her word/opinion or allow Her to do on me. There is always some questioning and rationality check involved from my side...and I get respectful answers from Her although I don't always understand them straight away, because they are very short. But in the end I come to some sort of understanding even if it's not a fully rational one. Stuff I do on Her word often isn't for rational reasons I can exactly put my fingers on, but of the love and trust I feel for Her.

I guess I rambled a lot and I'm a bit astonished myself on how crazed I am.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2019, 02:44:12 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 01, 2009, 12:10:36 am »

Yes Cheesy.

Depending on the deity and the circumstances, any of the above could apply.  Oh, I'm not easily impressed nor do any of those I work with want me to be, but I have an awareness (usually in the back of my mind) of how impressive they can be, if need be; "scary" doesn't come up very often these days (I've been consciously directly interacting for 17 years) but it can happen; and even the "business partners, no personal feelings" thing applies, if a deity I'm not well-acquainted with requests some bit of Work and I decide to accept the request (which sometimes leads to a more personal relationship - one reason I consider very carefully whether to accept or decline a request).  About the only thing that doesn't fit is "dislike"; if I dislike a deity, I'm unlikely to work with them, even just for a "short-term contract" for a particular task.

As for "cute, cuddly, crazed, annoying; adore and laugh about" (also laugh with, laugh at, and get laughed at by) - I didn't know you'd met the Chaotic Canine Cheesy!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Maggie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 12, 2012, 04:18:49 pm

Religion: ADF Style Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 07, 2009, 03:29:03 pm »

I've been thinking about this question for a week or so now.  I know that a lot of people have personal or working relationships with their deities.  I've decided that I think of deities as rulers or mega-celebrities.  Some I admire, some not.  In general, I really have little or no contact with them.  Our lives have little in common, we don't hang out in the same social circles.  They are unlikely to seek me out.  I'm one of the nameless, faceless masses. 

On the other hand, if I were at a gathering where they were (such as a ritual), I would welcome them, show proper deference and perhaps give an offering as is their due.  I don't expect that they will be all like "Wow, Maggie gave us this delicious homemade roll, we really need to spend some time with her".  I mean, there are plenty of other people out there that they would be more likely to remember and want to deal with.  People who actively seek them out. 

I'm not even sure that I would want a close relationship with such a powerful, charismatic being.  I prefer to stay in the background, like a little mouse, gathering up my nuts of information.  I know that I can and will step up if necessary, if its something that I feel strongly about, but, for the most part, there is usually someone else who wants the job.  I'm content where I am, in my quiet little life.  I guess that I prefer to seek relationships with those closer to home, like the ancestors, or the spirits of the land where I live.

Am I making any sense?  I feel like I'm rambling.  I'm glad you asked these questions though, because I was having some difficulties with the whole relationship with a deity thing.  I was concerned that I didn't feel like it was a priority for me to be searching for a deity.  Now I know why.

Maggie

"Few things are needful to make the wise man happy, but nothing satisfies the fool---and this is the reason why so many of mankind are miserable."                 
                                                       LaRochefoucauld
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 07, 2009, 03:55:57 pm »

"I am you.  And you are me.  And we are so much more."

This sums up how I relate to my gods. But as a Carvel (semi-soft, with a twist) polytheist, I'm probably atypical.

RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 11, 2009, 05:35:17 pm »

I've been doing a lot of thinking on your questions. I definitely do not consider Them as business partners, since I am very emotionally involved with Them. The one who migh possibly seem that way is Brighid, who is more or less my writing partner, since I call upon Her for inspiration. But I still find myself emotionally invested in her anyway.

As for liking, repecting, disliking and loving, yes, to all of those, depending on my relationship with Them at the time. Sometimes I will dislike Then when They give me a particular task to do that I don't want to do. But I have never hated Them at any point.

Yes, I do trust Them. They have never given me any cause not to do so.

Yes, They do impress me. However, They have never scared me and I definitely don't see Them as cute nor cuddly. I don't see Them as crazed, though They have annoyed me on occasion. I do adore Them, though They don't seem to mind if I once in awhile have a little joke at Their expense.

Rigantona, Great Queen
ladywhitewolf
Journeyman
Last Login:September 23, 2012, 12:21:57 am

Religion: polytheist pagan with leanings towards Shamanism/animism

Whitewolf

Blog entries (0)

White_Wolf1 Lady Whitewolf

Ignore
« Reply #8: August 05, 2009, 06:53:23 pm »

One of my main Gods is Set.  I respect him a lot.  He can be scary sometimes. 

Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
T Bone
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2009, 02:55:52 am

Religion: Theistic Satanism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: August 06, 2009, 12:40:22 am »

I have two different perceptions.  For the Demons I work with, I view Them as co-workers, allies and guides.  I view Glasya-Labolas as more of a protector and guide for me than the others - I get a different sense about each one as They are all very unique to me and have very different energies.  I have a fondness and 'love' for the Demons with whom I work.  I trust Them wholly.  Collectively, They are impressive, elegant and non-judgmental.

With Satan, my relationship is ever-evolving.  I once viewed Him in the same manner as I did the Demons, but in recent times, with a new experience, I am beginning to view Him as much much more than a mere ally.  I view Him as father-figure, a protector and a champion.  His energy is overwhelming, but invigorating.  He is beautiful, arcane and inspiring to me on so many levels.  I have a profound love and admiration for Him and all that He stands for. 

"Death is delightful, Death is dawn - the waking from a weary night of fevers unto Truth and Light."  ~James Russell Lowell
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #10: August 06, 2009, 01:17:42 am »

Most of the time, I'm just confused. I know They want me to do something... but I don't know what. Whenever I do get clear signs, it's usually something I cannot do due to my 'real' life interfering. The rest of the signs are usually muddy. I tend to push back against Them because I don't like to be pushed into doing something unless I know why - so I guess I could say that I am not entirely trusting. None of my patrons are compassionate, loving, kind deities - or at least I do not know Them in that way - They are harsh and somewhat distant, and I do get a deep sense of honor that I am allowed to serve Them, but it's not a reciprocal relationship. It might cause some to ask, "Well, why serve if you get nothing from it?" but I have gained a lot of knowledge and a sense of connectedness at Their collective feet.

About two weeks ago, someone asked a question on their blog that was basically, "Do you turn to any of your deities or spiritual guides/totems/helpers/ancestors, etc. for comfort, love or compassion?" It was kind of funny - until I read that, I never really thought that deities or spiritual helpers/guides, et. al., were supposed to be loving or comforting or nurturing. I've always had encounters with deities and spiritual entities Who teach hard lessons. I've also always kind of run with a crowd that sort of looks down on people who have loving relationships with these kinds of entities, as if they are 'soft', 'naive' or fooling themselves about the nature of the Universe. It's given me a lot of food for thought, I can tell you all that much.  Huh 

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: August 08, 2009, 04:03:08 am »

About two weeks ago, someone asked a question on their blog that was basically, "Do you turn to any of your deities or spiritual guides/totems/helpers/ancestors, etc. for comfort, love or compassion?" It was kind of funny - until I read that, I never really thought that deities or spiritual helpers/guides, et. al., were supposed to be loving or comforting or nurturing. I've always had encounters with deities and spiritual entities Who teach hard lessons. I've also always kind of run with a crowd that sort of looks down on people who have loving relationships with these kinds of entities, as if they are 'soft', 'naive' or fooling themselves about the nature of the Universe. It's given me a lot of food for thought, I can tell you all that much.  Huh
For me love and nurture is essential for a relationship to deities or spiritual guides, but love and nurture doesn't mean that I expect to be cuddled all the time. Some beings aren't the cuddly type or they think you need a kick in the butt instead at the moment. Nurture is for me about helping someone go along his/her way, this can mean very different things for different persons at different times and different deities/beings have different ways to nurture according to their own natures.

deFafnyr
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2010, 10:19:42 pm

Religion: Druidry

Damhán alla Líle

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: August 13, 2009, 01:20:24 pm »

I am still working on the Light Ones, seeing them more like big brothers and sisters who have been around the block so many times that they elevated to Shining.  I do not revere them as terrible and scary gods.  I respect their experiences and the wisdom they've acquired through those experiences.  Still, I have a hard time "worshipping" Bridgit and Lugh and their "level" in the hierarchy. 

From the get-go, however, when I needed "Mom" a Being calling itself both Danu and D'Anu is there surrounding me in a swirling cloud of comfort.  I NEED "Mom".  She is always there for me if I need her.  My trouble has always been in realizing I could do that, giving permission for my ancestors and protectors to step in and help me, remembering to call Mom to help me when instead I habitually wall myself off in self preservation and forget that She can help me.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)