The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 15, 2019, 12:15:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2019, 12:15:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Worthy-ness, Spiritual Crisis, and a Kick in the Ass  (Read 14195 times)
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: May 01, 2007, 06:55:37 am »

But I guess that 3 hour drive would undo all the good that the massage would have done, huh?

::sighs::   Undecided

Not necessarily.  Can't hubby do the driving?

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #31: May 01, 2007, 02:16:50 pm »

Not necessarily.  Can't hubby do the driving?

Not at the moment -- his work schedule is insane right now.  But I think I might have found someone local.

I'm sure she's not as good as you, of course.   Wink

By the way, if you know of how to find reputable massage therapists, would you please PM or email me, in case this contact doesn't work out?

And, thanks again.  Really.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: May 01, 2007, 05:59:46 pm »

Over the last few weeks, I've publicly played out here on TC's boards what has turned out to be a rather dramatic personal spiritual epiphany.  This is kind of strange for me, since I don't talk about anything like this IRL.  Even my husband has no clue about this stuff.  Unless he's reading without telling me, which is possible of course.

Anyway, since I started this as a public process, and since the comments and insight of so many Cauldronites have been so incredibly helpful and supportive, I figured I might as well go ahead and post this next chapter.

OK, well.  I've spent the past week in a major depression.  Some of you who have been in chats with me have had the "joy" of hearing me rant about this.  I lost my job a few months ago because of an organizational restructuring and have not yet found another one.  This followed right on the heels of a hysterectomy that was optional, in the sense that I chose to do it to alleviate severe pain, rather than because of a life-threatening situation, but was nevertheless bound up with issues of loss and grieving.  So, the last six months or so have been really hard on me.

A few weeks ago, as many of you have read in other threads, I had an experience that prompted me to acknowledge my dedication to Brighid, which has been very powerful.  I've written enough about that already, so I won't rehash it here, except to say that the episode in which I felt she directly communicated with me was very unexpected, unusual, and powerful.

Unfortunately, for the last week, I've...well...sort of lost myself.  It was triggered by my birthday, which was last Saturday.  My family neglected to celebrate it in any way.  Normally, I would have been hurt, but able to let it go.  But because I'm so depressed about the job stuff, etc., it just sent me into a downward spiral.  I felt worthless, useless, unloved, unwanted.  I stopped eating, stopped sleeping, but couldn't seem to get out of bed, cried all the time.  I was a mess.

Every night, I'd light my candles and ask Brighid to please, please, please help me out of this and especially help me with the job situation.

During this week, I had two phone interviews.  Neither went very well.  Surprise.  I also found out this afternoon that I'm out of the running for a job I had interviewed for last week.  Overqualified.

OK.  That was the setup.

So, tonight, I felt like I was pretty much at the end of my rope.  I've been eyeing a couple of bottles of prescription pain pills that I have left over from some things, and thinking that if I combine them...

And I lit my candle for Brighid, and as I did, I said my usual, "I give myself to you" -- or something to that effect.  And then I got this overwhelming, out of the blue, huge feeling.  There were no words, it was as if it was too big for words.  But if there had been words, they would have been:  "That's nice, dear, but I have no use for you in the state you're in.  Clean up your act.  Right now, you are not worthy of me.  I have no use for you like this.  Get over it so you can do My work."

It sounds so trite, but it was...awe inspiring.

It was like a light went on inside me.  And brought ME back.

I ordered pizza.  While I was waiting, I went outside and apoologized to Brighid for screwing up so badly and for treating myself and my family so badly, and poured out a libation of beer.

I know we have a couple of threads going right now about doubt and making things up and such like.  And, yeah, maybe I made that up.  Maybe my instinct for self preservation kicked in.  But, as others have said, am I hurting anyone by believing that Brighid spoke to me and literally saved my life tonight?  No.

So, OK.

I just wanted to share this with someone.  If anyone would like to comment or share similar expeiences, I'd love to hear them.

Better late then never, eh? {{{MoonIvy}}}

Just add me to the chorus of "We Are Family" that seems to be going around lately. I think it's wonderful that we can be 'here' for each other, whenver one of us needs it.
Guenthecat
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2010, 11:27:22 am

Religion: Folk Pagan??

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: May 01, 2007, 06:54:59 pm »

Over the last few weeks, I've publicly played out here on TC's boards what has turned out to be a rather dramatic personal spiritual epiphany.  This is kind of strange for me, since I don't talk about anything like this IRL.  Even my husband has no clue about this stuff.  Unless he's reading without telling me, which is possible of course.

Anyway, since I started this as a public process, and since the comments and insight of so many Cauldronites have been so incredibly helpful and supportive, I figured I might as well go ahead and post this next chapter.

OK, well.  I've spent the past week in a major depression.  Some of you who have been in chats with me have had the "joy" of hearing me rant about this.  I lost my job a few months ago because of an organizational restructuring and have not yet found another one.  This followed right on the heels of a hysterectomy that was optional, in the sense that I chose to do it to alleviate severe pain, rather than because of a life-threatening situation, but was nevertheless bound up with issues of loss and grieving.  So, the last six months or so have been really hard on me.

A few weeks ago, as many of you have read in other threads, I had an experience that prompted me to acknowledge my dedication to Brighid, which has been very powerful.  I've written enough about that already, so I won't rehash it here, except to say that the episode in which I felt she directly communicated with me was very unexpected, unusual, and powerful.

Unfortunately, for the last week, I've...well...sort of lost myself.  It was triggered by my birthday, which was last Saturday.  My family neglected to celebrate it in any way.  Normally, I would have been hurt, but able to let it go.  But because I'm so depressed about the job stuff, etc., it just sent me into a downward spiral.  I felt worthless, useless, unloved, unwanted.  I stopped eating, stopped sleeping, but couldn't seem to get out of bed, cried all the time.  I was a mess.

Every night, I'd light my candles and ask Brighid to please, please, please help me out of this and especially help me with the job situation.

During this week, I had two phone interviews.  Neither went very well.  Surprise.  I also found out this afternoon that I'm out of the running for a job I had interviewed for last week.  Overqualified.

OK.  That was the setup.

So, tonight, I felt like I was pretty much at the end of my rope.  I've been eyeing a couple of bottles of prescription pain pills that I have left over from some things, and thinking that if I combine them...

And I lit my candle for Brighid, and as I did, I said my usual, "I give myself to you" -- or something to that effect.  And then I got this overwhelming, out of the blue, huge feeling.  There were no words, it was as if it was too big for words.  But if there had been words, they would have been:  "That's nice, dear, but I have no use for you in the state you're in.  Clean up your act.  Right now, you are not worthy of me.  I have no use for you like this.  Get over it so you can do My work."

It sounds so trite, but it was...awe inspiring.

It was like a light went on inside me.  And brought ME back.

I ordered pizza.  While I was waiting, I went outside and apoologized to Brighid for screwing up so badly and for treating myself and my family so badly, and poured out a libation of beer.

I know we have a couple of threads going right now about doubt and making things up and such like.  And, yeah, maybe I made that up.  Maybe my instinct for self preservation kicked in.  But, as others have said, am I hurting anyone by believing that Brighid spoke to me and literally saved my life tonight?  No.

So, OK.

I just wanted to share this with someone.  If anyone would like to comment or share similar expeiences, I'd love to hear them.

Wow, how did i miss ths post earlier??

Honey, you made me cry.  I see that you are starting to feel better so I'll spare you the "it'll be ok" bit and just send you a hug. 

I think that Brighid often speaks to me only when I'm A. being really stupid B. in a major crisis or C. completely lost.  Sometimes I wonder if she's mistaken about thinking I'm good to be left on auto pilot so often.  But eventually, when I need it the most, her lightbulb will come on and straighten me out so that I felt like I just got a kick in the "use your brain, I'm right here" pants.

I think I'm going to use the last bit of our group flame keeping session to say some prayers for you, hon.  Let us know if you need anything.  As you can see, there's quite a few of us here for you when you need an ear.

Guen  ~:)
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: May 01, 2007, 07:20:43 pm »

Not at the moment -- his work schedule is insane right now.  But I think I might have found someone local.

I'm sure she's not as good as you, of course.   Wink

One never knows!  You might be surprised.

By the way, if you know of how to find reputable massage therapists, would you please PM or email me, in case this contact doesn't work out?

And, thanks again.  Really.

I'll put it here, as it is good for everyone.

http://massagetherapy.com/find/index.php

In your case, use the drop-down menu to select "Trigger Point Therapy."  Be warned - after a session of intense therapy, you might encounter a healing crisis, and be ill (usually flu-like symptoms) for a day or two.  But you will also experience freedom of movement you haven't had in years. Smiley

On the other hand, if hubby's work load is insane, maybe he could use some therapy too. Wink  Considering the driving distance, if you buy me lunch we'll call it even.  Grin  Just an idea.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: May 01, 2007, 10:55:11 pm »

Better late then never, eh? {{{MoonIvy}}}

Definitely!  It's been a rollercoaster, and last night was a that big dip in the tracks.  But somehow, I could feel those TC hugs coming through, and they gave me some extra strength I needed right then.

At one point, I was imagining how embarrassed I'd be if my husband had to log on and post to tell you all that I'd hurt myself.  How disappointed in me you'd all be.  It's silly and stupid, but that helped somehow.   Embarrassed

I think I'm going to use the last bit of our group flame keeping session to say some prayers for you, hon. 

And today has been so much better.  I think the prayers are helping.   Smiley

Thanks.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 17, 2019, 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: May 01, 2007, 11:00:06 pm »

At one point, I was imagining how embarrassed I'd be if my husband had to log on and post to tell you all that I'd hurt myself.  How disappointed in me you'd all be. 

You're right. We would be disappointed. Hang in there and remember that we care when you feel down.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: May 01, 2007, 11:03:48 pm »

On the other hand, if hubby's work load is insane, maybe he could use some therapy too. Wink  Considering the driving distance, if you buy me lunch we'll call it even.  Grin  Just an idea.

I found a massage therapist!  And, oddly enough, she's someone I've known for a while as a passing acquaintance, but had no idea she was a massage therapist.  I have an appointment for tomorrow morning.

It's weird, but I feel really guilty about the whole idea of massage therapy.  I think it's because massage therapy feels so damn good that it's hard to justify it as being sound medical treatment for something like depression and stress -- if that makes sense... I understand that it *is* sound treatment, but I also know I'm really going to enjoy it, which just seems so wrong.

Anyway, if this therapist doesn't work out, I'm taking you up on your offer.  Lunch AND dinner will be on me.  And I'll just take the train home so I don't undo all that hard work.   Wink

Thanks again for the suggestions.  I don't think I would have thought of it myself.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: May 01, 2007, 11:05:00 pm »

You're right. We would be disappointed. Hang in there and remember that we care when you feel down.

Thanks, Randall.  I definitely don't want you all pissed off at me. 

Well, not for something that stupid, anyway.  Cheesy

Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: May 02, 2007, 01:38:21 am »

It's weird, but I feel really guilty about the whole idea of massage therapy.  I think it's because massage therapy feels so damn good that it's hard to justify it as being sound medical treatment for something like depression and stress -- if that makes sense... I understand that it *is* sound treatment, but I also know I'm really going to enjoy it, which just seems so wrong.

Oh, don't hold back. I just went to a session after 2 years of being away from it and I burst into tears when my guy hit a bundle of nerves in my shoulder. Okay, so maybe part of it was that it hurt so frelling much, but a lot of it was a powerful emotional release. I tend to carry the world on my shoulder... Embarrassed
Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: May 02, 2007, 04:40:32 am »

Since then I never again wore an amulet in the way of depending on it to do something for me.

::nod::  That is when I came to realize the real power comes within...

Elspeth Sapphire
Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: May 02, 2007, 04:51:46 am »

Thanks, Randall.  I definitely don't want you all pissed off at me. 

Well, not for something that stupid, anyway.  Cheesy

Yeah, we can be scary when pissed off. ::grin::

At least I know that Randall and I can be....

Elspeth Sapphire
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: May 02, 2007, 06:42:32 am »

I found a massage therapist!  And, oddly enough, she's someone I've known for a while as a passing acquaintance, but had no idea she was a massage therapist.  I have an appointment for tomorrow morning.

Anyway, if this therapist doesn't work out, I'm taking you up on your offer.  Lunch AND dinner will be on me.  And I'll just take the train home so I don't undo all that hard work.   Wink

Thanks again for the suggestions.  I don't think I would have thought of it myself.

Let us know how it goes.

And it isn't always warm & fuzzy - as Adoratrix posted, there is "therapeutic pain." Wink

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 07, 2019, 05:12:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #43: May 04, 2007, 01:34:00 am »

Is this a manifestation of the "anything good for you is unpleasant" myth, or of your personal sense of undeservingness?  Or, possibly, coming from some other root.  I want to kick your guilt's butt, but I need to be able to identify that butt.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: May 04, 2007, 04:17:41 pm »

Is this a manifestation of the "anything good for you is unpleasant" myth, or of your personal sense of undeservingness?  Or, possibly, coming from some other root.  I want to kick your guilt's butt, but I need to be able to identify that butt.

Sunflower

Hmmmm.  Good question.  I think it's probably that tired old chestnut about how if it feels good it can't possibly be good FOR you.  Stupid, I know.

By the way, my guilt is trembling in fear of you.   Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)