The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 15, 2019, 08:23:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 08:23:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: anti-weeding  (Read 2416 times)
macushla
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 02, 2009, 08:12:26 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 11, 2009, 04:54:05 pm »

Its spring here in the Northern Hemisphere and probably the most difficult time of the year for me as a gardener because I have to show such restraint.

I can't just go out there and play in the dirt.

I have to sit back and watch what comes up least I not recognize it and weed it out.

Last year's perennials coming up from their roots are very assertive and identifiable, but what's seeded itself hasn't had enough warmth to be very far up yet.

Its fun watching what invites itself into my yard to grow each spring. 
I tell my grandchildren that one can pretty much get a clue about a person by what invites itself into their yard if they've been living in that place for a while.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 12, 2009, 09:21:43 am »

Its spring here in the Northern Hemisphere and probably the most difficult time of the year for me as a gardener because I have to show such restraint.

I can't just go out there and play in the dirt.

I have to sit back and watch what comes up least I not recognize it and weed it out.

Last year's perennials coming up from their roots are very assertive and identifiable, but what's seeded itself hasn't had enough warmth to be very far up yet.

Its fun watching what invites itself into my yard to grow each spring. 
I tell my grandchildren that one can pretty much get a clue about a person by what invites itself into their yard if they've been living in that place for a while.

Mayapples and mullein, jewelweed and plantain all invited themselves to live in my yard. 

Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 12, 2009, 01:47:51 pm »

I get field poppies Smiley

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 12, 2009, 11:22:29 pm »

I get field poppies Smiley

I invited valerian into my backyard last year, b/c I missed it from my old house, where it grows wild. So I went to my old 'hood, picked some, and brought it home. Now I'm over-run, but their roots are so shallow, and they're easy to pull out.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 12, 2009, 11:31:30 pm »

Where to begin? Pretty my everything in my yard is a weed...from little weeds that put out evil berries trying to pass as strawberries to this sticky stuff that sticks to you when you walk by and irritates your skin if you get any on you. I've also got tons of little oak trees coming up everywhere that are now too big to pull, so I'm going to have to cut them.
I am pleased by several random tomato plants that turned up. One even produced a couple of tomatoes until they were stolen by some animal. Sad

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
macushla
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 02, 2009, 08:12:26 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 13, 2009, 09:12:51 am »

Pretty my everything in my yard is a weed...from little weeds that put out evil berries trying to pass as strawberries to this sticky stuff that sticks to you when you walk by and irritates your skin if you get any on you.

Ever think of getting out a book or consulting someone to see what those berried or sticky stuff weeds' identification are?

Part of my personal path working has been identifying what plants I don't recognize and learning their relationships to various Elements, planets, et cetera.

What really struck home with me on this was when I noticed, same local weather environment but some weeds grew better in the neighbor's yard, or not, than in my own. It was as if they'd chosen to guardian an individual, or not.

But then, it might be just a simple case of the difference of chemical balance of the soil.

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 13, 2009, 09:27:57 am »

Ever think of getting out a book or consulting someone to see what those berried or sticky stuff weeds' identification are?

Part of my personal path working has been identifying what plants I don't recognize and learning their relationships to various Elements, planets, et cetera.

What really struck home with me on this was when I noticed, same local weather environment but some weeds grew better in the neighbor's yard, or not, than in my own. It was as if they'd chosen to guardian an individual, or not.

But then, it might be just a simple case of the difference of chemical balance of the soil.

Here in San Francisco, where every neighborhood has it's own microclimate, there are quite a few plants that will only grow in one part of town, sometimes only on one side of the street.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)