The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 17, 2018, 09:09:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2018, 09:09:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do the Gods/Goddesses from Different Pantheons Talk to Each Other?  (Read 5194 times)
Spectacular Views
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2013, 02:21:49 am
United States United States

Religion: Can being confused count as a religion?
TCN ID: SpectacularViews

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 13, 2009, 02:55:42 pm »

There's the Mixing Religions thread going on here: 
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=8922.0

That thread got me thinking, do the deities from different pantheons ever talk, fight, work together or interact in any ways?  If you were worshipping two deities that both covered the same area, would they get angry at each other or you?  Do Zeus and Odin ever have chats on how hard running things are? 

Do they even know each other exist?  And since many mythologies have different gods who are responsible for creation how do they work that out?  Maybe the deities just don't care? 

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 02:56:49 pm by Star, Reason: Removing HTML code, which the board software doesn\'t recognize » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 13, 2009, 03:42:30 pm »

Your thoughts?

I don't think the gods of different pantheons interact. If they did, they wouldn't be in different pantheons anymore.

But then I understand the gods through their myths, and therefore any gods that don't show up in the collective mythos of which a god is a part is not part of that god's reality...if that makes any sense.

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 13, 2009, 04:17:05 pm »

That thread got me thinking, do the deities from different pantheons ever talk, fight, work together or interact in any ways? 

I would say they do know about eachother. 

I asked Aset if I could worship Freyja and She basically said NO.  Those two may not get along...I don't know. 

The way Aset is with me, is that if other deities want my attention, they get Her permission to go to me.  I honor Kwan Yin and Skadi and Oya; Aset gave her permission for me to do so.

Aset is First for me. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Unmutual
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 02, 2013, 10:12:32 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bokononism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 13, 2009, 05:10:24 pm »

There's the Mixing Religions thread going on here: 
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=8922.0

That thread got me thinking, do the deities from different pantheons ever talk, fight, work together or interact in any ways?  If you were worshipping two deities that both covered the same area, would they get angry at each other or you?  Do Zeus and Odin ever have chats on how hard running things are? 

Do they even know each other exist?  And since many mythologies have different gods who are responsible for creation how do they work that out?  Maybe the deities just don't care? 

Your thoughts?

Interesting post, and one I have nowhere near enough experience to comment on.

This might not operate in real world terms, but it did remind me of an awesome bit of the Aeneid. In book 7 Aeneas gets an awesome shield from the gods decorated with scenes from the Roman "future", including the Battle of Actium. the archetypal Roman Augustus is leading his Senate and people against Antony and Cleopatra are on the other, with barbarian hordes and foreign weaponry. It's a smashing passage. But in the midst of this, it describes the gods getting involved:

"Monstrous gods of every form and barking Anubis wield weapons against Neptune and Venus and against Minerva"

I doubt this represents a well-researched theological standpoint, but it nevertheless is a very powerful image.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:March 31, 2018, 12:54:20 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 13, 2009, 05:10:56 pm »

Set told me to study Feri.

When I was setting up my house shrine (primarily dedicated to Bast and Brighid) I talked to a number of people who dealt with Brighid on a regular basis to see if they thought the Ladies in question would get along reasonably well.  (General consensus: enough in common to have something to chat about, not so much overlap that They'd be inclined to bicker about it.)

Brighid appears to have Strong Opinions about my Celt going out of pantheon without Her supervision.

My sister appears to attract the attention of various psychopomp deities; possibly They like talking shop.

I don't see a problem with creation myths or whatever, but then again, as an Egyptian pagan I have three major creation myths which all address the same thing in different terms with different actors (and that's not counting the minor ones at all) so the whole polyvalent mythology thing just doesn't register to me as any sort of issue.  It tickles me that the way the Egyptian creation myths are all exactly the same makes them exactly the same as the standard Feri creation myth I know, though.

Just because a pantheon is a family doesn't mean that they don't know about other families.  The internal affairs (universe-organising principles, how They deal with worshippers and dedicants, and so on) aren't likely to be terribly interesting to the other family, but people know who's in the neighborhood and who's dealing with multiple families in their interactions and form opinions.  Such is life; totally normal.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 18, 2018, 06:50:50 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 13, 2009, 05:41:16 pm »

That thread got me thinking, do the deities from different pantheons ever talk, fight, work together or interact in any ways? 

UPG here, but I'm pretty sure they do. From my personal experience Freya and Athena have talked in the past -- about me. Athena even referred to Freya once as a "sister"  And, yes, I could HEAR the quote marks so it's clear it wasn't intended literally.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 10:34:23 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 13, 2009, 05:43:40 pm »

What Darkhawk said, minus the purely personal bits. *grin*

I've had very similar experiences: they're families, and they may talk to people in other families. They may not, too. Pretty much like humans. And some of them get on with people outside their family better than others. Again, pretty logical.

(Also, given the number of purely eclectic multiple-pantheon borrowing rituals out there, or things like festivals, presuming they've *never* had contact with each other seems a little far-fetched, on purely practical grounds.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 13, 2009, 06:13:46 pm »

Your thoughts?

Yes and no Wink

I don't understand deities as being supernatural, so for me they exist in the same manifest reality and may be able to communicate. That said, there are provisos...

Deities may not exist on the same physical scale as each other, may just not interact with or meet each other, may not be capable of perceiving each other, or may be part of overlapping systems (or even be the same system). In any of these instances I find the posibility of communication doubtful (I can't hink of a mechanism). In the case of overlapping systems or the same system in different cultures such comminication strikes me as either being a little like Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD), or would be more that both now all that the other knows because they are one, but that they are experienced and known differently by different communities (a bit like me at work and at home and at play; three quite different people, all one).

Needless to say, I am neither a pure hard nor soft polytheist. I believe that some deities are individual and that others are not.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 13, 2009, 06:19:16 pm »

UPG here, but I'm pretty sure they do. From my personal experience Freya and Athena have talked in the past -- about me. Athena even referred to Freya once as a "sister"  And, yes, I could HEAR the quote marks so it's clear it wasn't intended literally.

Athena the virgin goddess and Freya? That would be an interesting sorority for sure...

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:March 31, 2018, 12:54:20 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: May 14, 2009, 02:03:48 am »

Athena the virgin goddess and Freya? That would be an interesting sorority for sure...

She does run the Valkyries, unless I'm quite mythologically lost (Norse/Germanic not a strong point at all).

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 14, 2009, 02:12:26 am »

She does run the Valkyries, unless I'm quite mythologically lost (Norse/Germanic not a strong point at all).

Freyja gets half the battle slain (the other half go to Odin) and in some sources that I'm not sure are reliable, the leader of the Valkyries.

She's the Goddess of a Hall that Valkyries go to with the battle slain.  Freyja goes to the battle field herself to get slain warriors too.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 14, 2009, 03:23:45 am »

Freyja gets half the battle slain (the other half go to Odin) and in some sources that I'm not sure are reliable, the leader of the Valkyries.

She's the Goddess of a Hall that Valkyries go to with the battle slain.  Freyja goes to the battle field herself to get slain warriors too.

I'd forgotten about that! I guess that shows you what I generally think of first.  Grin

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Spectacular Views
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2013, 02:21:49 am

Religion: Can being confused count as a religion?
TCN ID: SpectacularViews

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 14, 2009, 04:06:49 am »

What Darkhawk said, minus the purely personal bits. *grin*

I've had very similar experiences: they're families, and they may talk to people in other families. They may not, too. Pretty much like humans. And some of them get on with people outside their family better than others. Again, pretty logical.

(Also, given the number of purely eclectic multiple-pantheon borrowing rituals out there, or things like festivals, presuming they've *never* had contact with each other seems a little far-fetched, on purely practical grounds.)

That makes sense, especially recently with all the curiosity that seems to have sparked around paganism.  Also, when cultures such as the Romans assimilated other culture's gods into their own their must have been some form of communication. 

I see we have a new member, why don't you stand up and tell us a little about yourself? 

My name Is Isis and I'm ....

Well maybe it didn't go down exactly like that :S

RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 14, 2009, 03:53:21 pm »

What fascinating questions! Since I see the deities as real and that I have personal relationships with Them, then I would say, yes, They do know each other and communicate with each other. My three main deities are from different areas (Gaul, Wales and Ireland), but I'm pretty sure that They have discussions amongst Themselves.

Rigantona, Great Queen
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 17, 2009, 10:49:49 am »

Based on my own experience with deities I think they are at least aware of each other's presence.  I'm not sure they all know each other personally; in some cases I think geographical ties and fields of interest are so far removed that there is no pressing reason for interaction.

I'm inclined to think the trend towards pantheon mixing among modern pagans has affected the level of interaction among deities as well.

Betty

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)