The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 05, 2021, 01:45:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 05, 2021, 01:45:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: If You Could Live Anywhere, Where Would You Live?  (Read 29842 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 14, 2009, 08:09:39 am »

If you could live anywhere, where would you live? (Please be fairly specific.)  Why there? What effect, if any, would this have on your religious life?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 14, 2009, 08:20:49 am »

If you could live anywhere, where would you live? (Please be fairly specific.)  Why there? What effect, if any, would this have on your religious life?

Right now, I think it would be Holland - because I could bike EVERYWHERE.  The massive congregations of bicycles just amazed me.

My religious life wouldn't change wherever I was.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: May 14, 2009, 08:46:56 am »

I'd stay where I'm at.  I might move to a different house in the same general area, but no more than about ten minutes from where I'm at now.  My life is here, my family is here, my roots are here.  I'm comfy here.  There are plenty of other places I'd like to visit, but I have no desire to pick up and move.  A couple of weeks somewhere else is all I need; then I want to come back here.

Obviously, this wouldn't have much effect on my religious life.  Grin

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Vyk
Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2013, 10:06:11 am

Religion: Not Applicable
TCN ID: Vyk1345

Blog entries (0)

vyk1345

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 14, 2009, 09:31:47 am »

Further north!  Where exactly?  Perhaps Alaska or more preferably, Iceland.  Why!  Because I just don't do well in warm weather.  While Minnesota is usually considered anything but warm, the summer months are very humid.  Mid to lower 90s with high humidity!!  No thanks, I'll take 50 please. 

The relocation would have no effect on religious life.

Vyk
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 14, 2009, 10:28:59 am »

London.  I just got back, and I miss it already.  (Especially since home is currently 27 degrees farenheit.  Ick.)  It wouldn't necessarily affect my religious life, but I'd feel more... grounded, if that makes sense. 
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 14, 2009, 11:10:47 am »

I'm fine where I am living now, but I can't stand the summers (typical Southeast US -- hot, humid summers).  For a while I wanted to live in the D.C. Area but there wouldn't really be any improvement climate-wise but there would be a ton of museums and historic sites to look at.  Then again, I have that here so  Undecided  D.C. is more gay-friendly than this area, though.  NYC or Boston comes to mind, but given my love of colonial history the latter would be slightly more likely (then again, I have that here as well).  The drawback of living that far north is the winters (and I don't really know how hot and humid it gets up there in the summer).  I wish there was a way to spend my summers away from the humidity and my winters roughly where I'm at now.

Then after reading Catja's post, I think living in London (or anywhere in Europe) for a while could be interesting.

Oh and to completely answer the original post: I don't think anywhere I move would impact my religion.  Except if I moved to or the area I live in now turns into a total fundamentalist theocracy, which is something that I highly doubt would happen.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 14, 2009, 11:16:16 am »

Further north!  Where exactly?  Perhaps Alaska or more preferably, Iceland.  Why!  Because I just don't do well in warm weather.  While Minnesota is usually considered anything but warm, the summer months are very humid.  Mid to lower 90s with high humidity!!  No thanks, I'll take 50 please. 

The relocation would have no effect on religious life.

Vyk

You might try the Pacific Northwest.  It sounds perfect for you.

AntlerandHerb.com
Vyk
Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2013, 10:06:11 am

Religion: Not Applicable
TCN ID: Vyk1345

Blog entries (0)

vyk1345

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 14, 2009, 02:05:55 pm »

You might try the Pacific Northwest.  It sounds perfect for you.

I forgot to mention that I love extreme cold & tons of snow.  So unless it is in the mountains, I think the Pacific Northwest is out.  Unless we're talkin Canada that is.

Vyk
Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 14, 2009, 02:20:25 pm »

There's this valley in Wales near Betws-y-Coed that we went on holiday to last year. I could happily go live there, if I didn't need a job and a broadband connection! So when I win the lottery then... This valley had a small community living in it and used to be full of small slate mines, there were ruined cottages and piles of slate, and a real feel of nature reclaiming the place. It even had a tiny request stop on the railway line. Mountains in the distance, woods and streams closer. You could walk Moel Siabod (sp?) from the door. Beautiful. The house we stayed in was tiny, with the thick stone white painted walls that are so typical of Welsh cottages. Open fire, views down the valley from the door.... sigh.

I'm not sure how my religious life would change.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
macushla
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 02, 2009, 08:12:26 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 14, 2009, 03:16:22 pm »

If you could live anywhere, where would you live?

Close to where ever my grandchildren live.

Why there?

The obvious reasons
plus that their parents are engaged in supporting them and as a grandparent living close I can better share my love of the finer arts and Crafts while my grandchildren's minds are most impressionable.

What effect, if any, would this have on your religious life?

My musical instruments and fiber working tools are very portable. I'm sure I can network with the local herbs where ever I settle.
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 14, 2009, 03:21:58 pm »

Somewhere much much warmer  - Sicily is my choice but the OH isn't keen.  I suspect we will compromise eventually nearer Rome but it can't be for a few years yet.

As for the religious element well who knows? I am certainly more in tune with "local" spirits so I suspect that there would be a change of some sort.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 14, 2009, 03:47:16 pm »

With several addendum, I'd live in Homer, AK again.  These add-ons include but aren't limited to:

• The means to make a living in a very seasonal/tourist-based economy.
  • An enormous (obscenely enormous) greenhouse in which to grow all the food you can't otherwise grow there.
  • Lots of relatively flat acreage upon which to grow said food.

My second choice would be outside Eugene, OR (preferably on a bus line), and I wouldn't need so much space/such a big greenhouse because the growing climate is so much more favorable.  The ability to grow my own food is the primary consideration for living anywhere.

I love Homer for its immense natural beauty, its ocean beaches, and its extremely groovy vibe.  I love Eugene for its big-city amenities/small-town feel.  I could be a very happy hippie there.  And I'd be closer to my folks, who are getting up there and will need more help over the next decade.  Either location would suit my established seasonal celebrations, so no great jarring in that department.

But really, I love it here NW Washington, too, for many of the same reasons.  I'm a homebody, and since I'm already home, well...

Brina
RhiannonWhiteMare
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2009, 12:05:19 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 14, 2009, 03:58:53 pm »

I want to live in Ireland. I've always been fascinated by the country, culture, music, mythology, history, etc. And I am not of Irish descent, so I don't know where this fascination comes form.

We'll be moving within the next year or so; probably only across town. But for the past several months now I've been getting this very strong feeling that one day we are going to end up settling down in Virginia. I have no idea WHY I feel this way, but the feelings simply won't go away that that is where we are going to end up. I've been through Virginia and I've been to Arlington National Cemetery, but other than that, I haven't spent any major time there. So where these intense feelings are coming from, I have no idea.

Rigantona, Great Queen
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 14, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »

I forgot to mention that I love extreme cold & tons of snow.  So unless it is in the mountains, I think the Pacific Northwest is out.  Unless we're talkin Canada that is.

Vyk

Dear god, we are utter opposites! I can't tolerate cold, snow, short days/long nights, nor leafless trees. So though I'm enormously happy in NYC (and in close proximity to most of my family), in my ideal life I'd migrate every year to live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, from January 1 to April 1, where it would be summer again. Plus I love that town! (Whenever I'm there, it's like I'm 21 all over again; no mean feat when you're 46.)

I can't say that it'd affect my religious life much, though.

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 14, 2009, 07:15:46 pm »

Vyk

Canadian PNW isn't terribly cold; we had about six feet of snow this winter, but it didn't last long. Now it's sunny and looking to be a rather hot summer. A few summers ago we had a string of 33-degree (C) days up in Powell River (that's about 90 degrees Fahrenheit).

Yukon, NWT, or Nunavut may suit you though. Or the East in winter. But if you want a really cold Canada, BC is not your best bet. Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)