The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 12:19:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 12:19:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: If You Could Live Anywhere, Where Would You Live?  (Read 29448 times)
Esoletik
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2011, 12:58:13 pm
United States United States

Religion: Theologic Pessimist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: June 13, 2009, 03:32:58 am »

If you could live anywhere, where would you live? (Please be fairly specific.)  Why there? What effect, if any, would this have on your religious life?

Back to Southern California, probably between San Juan Capistrano and Oceanside.  It's along the coast, temps are lower than other areas of the Southland, but much warmer than my current home in Idaho. There are also a bazillion more people there than where I live now.  There are more groups dedicated to the type of spiritual activity I pursue in that area so the move would prove to be a big positive in my spiritual life.

It'd be a win win move except for the fact that we'd be leaving our kids up here in the Great White North.   Sad

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Kalonyction
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 07, 2009, 04:35:01 pm

Religion: Quasi-Experienced and Sort-Of-Seeking

(The Artist Formerly Known As BlueFeather)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: June 13, 2009, 04:29:30 am »

If you could live anywhere, where would you live? (Please be fairly specific.) 

If I'd been more together, mentally, when I left school I'd've driven out to northern Cali to really start over. Instead, I foolishly felt that first I needed to come back here to visit the folks, a visit that now sems potentially interminable as I have inevitably moved back into caretaker-type roles. (Some families put the "fun" in dysfunctional... mine takes all the fun out of it.)

Why there?

1. Always yearned toward the West Coast, ever since I first realized, for real and true, that geography does make a difference in, well, call it "local cultural personality," maybe. I seem to be a geographical changeling of sorts; a lifetime of good solid safe sensible cautious pragmatic New England upbringing, and all it's done is to make me feel like I'm split in two, with the "free spirit" half cowering in a corner. I'd really like to try living somewhere where the aspects of myself that I actually like best and want to work with aren't being constantly slapped down.

2. My two oldest/best/most supportive friends live there, within about 30 miles of each other. One, an intensely magical person, has actually invited me to stay with him.

3. The persons and groups who are doing the kinds of personal/creative/spiritual work that draws me the most happen to be West Coasters. I'd like to be where I can come out and play with them more often. A lot more often. My opportunities to participate in meaningful group stuff have been very thin.

4. I'm very curious as to what it would be like to have some real sense of local LGBT community, which is totally lacking around here unless you're a college student.

What effect, if any, would this have on your religious life?

Well, besides the aforementioned opportunities for local participation, and even more important... it would affirm something that I rather desperately need to affirm: my power of choice. I'm still where I am because of a combination of guilt and other family-inspired crap, a lot of which has to do with making choices. I'm hovering in limbo, fighting an internal war that deeply affects everything I do and am, from my emotions to my spiritual practice. The act of moving, and of moving to where I really want to be, would be a huge recommitment to following my own paths.

NOW aren't you glad you asked? Grin

~Val~*

... it was as if there were a scent in her own nostrils or a glittering trail
laid out before her, the path of the Moon. It was like
the directionless direction, the windless wind on her cheek...
Robin McKinley

And further still, at an unearthly height
One luminary clock against the sky
Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
Robert Frost
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: June 13, 2009, 08:13:43 am »

Some families put the "fun" in dysfunctional

Nice! I'm gonna have to borrow that someday.

Kalonyction
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 07, 2009, 04:35:01 pm

Religion: Quasi-Experienced and Sort-Of-Seeking

(The Artist Formerly Known As BlueFeather)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #48: June 13, 2009, 03:37:22 pm »

Nice! I'm gonna have to borrow that someday.

Feel free... you want the family to go with it? Grin

(BTW, I didn't coin that phrase... dunno who did. Good one, though.)

~Val~*

... it was as if there were a scent in her own nostrils or a glittering trail
laid out before her, the path of the Moon. It was like
the directionless direction, the windless wind on her cheek...
Robin McKinley

And further still, at an unearthly height
One luminary clock against the sky
Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
Robert Frost
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #49: June 13, 2009, 03:44:27 pm »

If you could live anywhere, where would you live? (Please be fairly specific.)  Why there? What effect, if any, would this have on your religious life?

BC, because I hear it'spretty warm for Canada.  Or England; the rain would suck for my arthritis, but the history-buff in me would be happy as a clam.  Assuming of course that clams are happy.

On a realistic level, a house of our own.  One bedroom odesn't cut it for a small fam. 

I don't think my religious life would be affected by the specific places, but in general having my own space I think would give me the "room" (mental and physical) to really keep up a regular practice.
Trickster
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 12, 2009, 11:49:19 pm

Religion: Hermes Owned and Operated

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: June 14, 2009, 12:52:17 am »

I would live on the road, wander around from place to place, stay a little while here and there but never settle down anywhere. I'm someone that needs a constant level of change in her surroundings or I start to get restless, if I had to look at the same place for the rest of my life I think I would go insane.

Alas, our culture does not consider this a viable option, and pretty much the only way I'd be able to do so is by being poor and homeless. Though I gladly and easily live on far less than most other people do both for the sake of devoting myself more to religion and because of various other issues, I don't romanticize abject poverty. So, since I can't live the way I really want to right now, I try to make up for it by moving around a little more frequently than most.

As for my religious life, Hermes himself is a wandering god and I would think some degree of rootlessness (not necessarily this extreme) is necessary in serving him.

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: June 14, 2009, 08:34:38 am »

Feel free... you want the family to go with it? Grin

Got one, thanks!

Gypsywitch15
Apprentice
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 02:21:52 pm

Religion: Celtic Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: June 18, 2009, 01:19:07 pm »

North Carolina. I moved there when I was 15 ( From NY) and fell in love with the weather, the people, the location ( beach and mountains!). It would have no effect on my religious life...

~JESUS SAVES...passes to noah...he shoots, he scores!~
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: June 18, 2009, 02:13:23 pm »

Romantically speaking, Ireland.  But, that's neither likely nor practical for me, since it is both out of my budget and would probably lead to a non-stop fibro flare, not to mention the depression from overcast skies.

Realistically, Florida.  For many reasons, not the least of which is health.  Being at or barely above sea level makes my asthma shut up.  The warmth does great things for my fibro and swimming in the ocean takes care of a lot of the rest. 

And, while Tim and I have hopes and plans to build the new house here, we're also planning to move to Florida.  We'll keep this place, for visiting family.  Neither of us are keen on hotels, nor are we keen on staying with our families, though we love them.  How long until we make the leap is anybodies guess, but it will be as soon as we can manage it.

reverie
Last Login:October 11, 2009, 01:23:18 am

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: June 22, 2009, 12:12:50 am »

I would love to live in Oregon, around Portland. I love the atmosphere, the city, the parks are beautiful, and I love the annual flower festivals. I also adore the climate. Drizzly and cloudy days evoke such a peaceful feeling in me.

As for my religious life, I don't think a different place would make all that much difference, except I would certainly be spending more time outside.
semperfemme
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 10, 2010, 10:57:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist Reconstructionism

Ogen van Verschuldigd

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: July 23, 2009, 12:25:21 am »

North Carolina. I moved there when I was 15 ( From NY) and fell in love with the weather, the people, the location ( beach and mountains!). It would have no effect on my religious life...

Would you like to switch places? LOL! I live in N.C. now and most of the time I'm looking around like  Undecided . I miss the hustle and bustle of Washington D.C. and am majorly homesick.

I'd ideally live in Paris. I love the culture, the cuisine, the language, and the people. It wouldn't effect my religious practices in the least.

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. "- Malcolm X
brandonb70
Master Member
Last Login:May 26, 2011, 12:18:40 pm

Religion: Ásatrú/Heathen
TCN ID: Brandon

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

brandon_bourg brandon.bourg brandonb70

Ignore
« Reply #56: July 24, 2009, 02:13:18 pm »

I love Oregon way too much to leave! Nice and cool never humid perfect temp in the summer Cheesy lots of nature. If I moved anywhere else I think it would effect my religion in a negative way because I would miss the land and its spirits.

I know that I hung on a windy tree
nine long nights,
wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,
myself to myself,
on that tree of which no man knows
from where its roots run. - Hávamál
deFafnyr
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2010, 10:19:42 pm

Religion: Druidry

Damhán alla Líle

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: August 13, 2009, 01:01:31 pm »

If you could live anywhere, where would you live? (Please be fairly specific.)  Why there? What effect, if any, would this have on your religious life?

I would live here in the Pacific Northwest, but up in the mountains.  Like say if I won the lottery and didn't have to worry about commuting to my job.  A small cottage about the same size as my current apartment plus one room more in the forest. Wait, make that two more room.  My spare bedroom now is an exercise den with treadmill and total gym.  I'd add a room for shrine/altar and a room for a working room for herbals, potting plants, tossing pottery and painting the ceramics, etc.  I'd have a little garden on a meadow side of the property, layered teirs of herbs.  Lots of nature around me.  Quiet, solitude.  I want to be a hermit when I grow up.  Not that at 50 years old I have any chance of growing up. They still call me the 12 year old at work.

*hides plastic lightsaber behind my back*

whut?

*shifts eyes*  

Lizard
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 12, 2011, 11:23:10 pm

Religion: Melting Pot, for now

Everything is transient.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #58: August 13, 2009, 09:32:04 pm »

I am moving to Winnemucca, NV.  Not sure of the timeline, but it's gonna happen (hoepfully in a year or less).  Not sure how it will affect my religion, as I'm still defining/understanding that... 
All I know is that I fit there.  I live in Vancouver, WA  now, have grown up in the Portland metro area and always loved the land here.  For those of you that love the PNW, you can have the rain.  It has been horrendously humid (to my taste) this whole week, and now it is dumping rain!!!!  And I am done being cold and wet and depressed for six months of the year!
I spent a couple of years in Northern Colorado and adored it.  I didn't realize that cold and wet weren't the same thing!  I love the high desert.  Love that I can see, not all crowded with trees.  I love that Wnmca is a cowboy/ranching town.  There is a sense of the old west there - don't mess with my truck or my dog, but not all self-righteous like TX.  And I'm pretty sure they hang horse thieves there.  Oh, and there is like 300 days of sunshine a year there!  People are happy and friendly, novel concept.
There is a different feel to the land there, not as in your face alive, but a deeper, quieter, slower kind of vibrant life.  The T-storms are very cool there.  I've visited in November and July now, due to go back again the end of September...  Somehow, I'm happily bewitched when I'm there.  Heading home this last time, I had trouble as soon as I got into SE Oregon, had to make a concerted effort to keep rolling forward in the right direction.  Almost gave up and just headed back to Nevada, like I was being pushed there, but that is a whole 'nuther story.
Back to the question about how it will affect my religious life...  even though it seems like a conservative town (lots of Mormons and Baptists) it feels like I can do my own thing there.  Probably won't be good to get in peoples faces about it, but I'm not that way anyhow.

Time to shed my skin, again...

"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
    "You ask a glass of water." -Douglas Adams

Is the glass half-empty or half-full?  Well, since you can't add anything to it, without displacing some gas, liquid or solid, I would say it is completely full.  - Me
deFafnyr
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 17, 2010, 10:19:42 pm

Religion: Druidry

Damhán alla Líle

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #59: August 13, 2009, 09:34:52 pm »

I am moving to Winnemucca, NV.  Not sure of the timeline, but it's gonna happen (hoepfully in a year or less).  Not sure how it will affect my religion, as I'm still defining/understanding that... 
All I know is that I fit there.  I live in Vancouver, WA  now, have grown up in the Portland metro area and always loved the land here.  For those of you that love the PNW, you can have the rain.  It has been horrendously humid (to my taste) this whole week, and now it is dumping rain!!!!  And I am done being cold and wet and depressed for six months of the year!
I spent a couple of years in Northern Colorado and adored it.  I didn't realize that cold and wet weren't the same thing!  I love the high desert.  Love that I can see, not all crowded with trees.  I love that Wnmca is a cowboy/ranching town.  There is a sense of the old west there - don't mess with my truck or my dog, but not all self-righteous like TX.  And I'm pretty sure they hang horse thieves there.  Oh, and there is like 300 days of sunshine a year there!  People are happy and friendly, novel concept.
There is a different feel to the land there, not as in your face alive, but a deeper, quieter, slower kind of vibrant life.  The T-storms are very cool there.  I've visited in November and July now, due to go back again the end of September...  Somehow, I'm happily bewitched when I'm there.  Heading home this last time, I had trouble as soon as I got into SE Oregon, had to make a concerted effort to keep rolling forward in the right direction.  Almost gave up and just headed back to Nevada, like I was being pushed there, but that is a whole 'nuther story.
Back to the question about how it will affect my religious life...  even though it seems like a conservative town (lots of Mormons and Baptists) it feels like I can do my own thing there.  Probably won't be good to get in peoples faces about it, but I'm not that way anyhow.

Wait, you live in Vancouver, WA?!?  So do I.  Wow, small world.  Didn't think anyone here was from here but me. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)