The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 11, 2021, 10:01:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2021, 10:01:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Subtle Magic  (Read 6555 times)
Jenny Dare
Apprentice
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 01:38:41 am
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 15, 2009, 01:21:07 am »

Magic has been on my mind of late. Although I've read about various "magickal" systems involving herbs, crystals, astrological signs, sigils, and the like, I've never felt at all drawn to spellwork. I can't sit and visualize myself manipulating energy to save my life.

On the other hand. . .wishes, prayers, and unusually vivid daydreams. The intent focus of a creative undertaking. The sharp joy of a particularly satisfying erotic experience. I have felt power, energy, and potential in all of these things, and my instinct is to consider them "magical".

I am interested in other opinions on this matter. Is only organized spellwork considered active magic, or is it possible to harness the latent power in more "mundane" actions to create magical effects?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Sandi
Apprentice
Last Login:April 30, 2010, 05:58:25 pm

Religion: Zen Taoist

You are a mere human.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 15, 2009, 02:17:34 am »

On the other hand. . .wishes, prayers, and unusually vivid daydreams. The intent focus of a creative undertaking. The sharp joy of a particularly satisfying erotic experience. I have felt power, energy, and potential in all of these things, and my instinct is to consider them "magical".

I suggest you look a Tantra. Not necessarily as a practice (though it may have appeal), but simply as an answer to your basic question.

If it was meant for everyone to follow a teacher, would there be a single person who'd be without a teacher for a moment? Does the quest for knowledge mean replacing one's true feelings with the teachings of someone else?  -- Zhuangzi (translated by Nina Correa)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 15, 2009, 08:24:20 am »

I am interested in other opinions on this matter. Is only organized spellwork considered active magic, or is it possible to harness the latent power in more "mundane" actions to create magical effects?

All magic is is using directly your Will to shape reality. All the tools and trappings just help you use your will. None are really necessary (although they make it easier for most people). There's no reason daydreams and the like can't be used to focus will.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 08:07:55 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: herbalgoddess13

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 15, 2009, 08:47:45 am »

Magic has been on my mind of late. Although I've read about various "magickal" systems involving herbs, crystals, astrological signs, sigils, and the like, I've never felt at all drawn to spellwork. I can't sit and visualize myself manipulating energy to save my life.

The ideas of magic are rather new to me, so I can understand what you're saying.  I've tried some spell work and enjoyed it, but I feel my most powerful magic comes from deep within me and usually manifest best during meditation, prayer and ritual.  I've talked to a lot of people and read a lot here and what I find is that magic is performed differently for different people.  You just have to find what feels comfortable for you.

I agree with Randall that magic is using your will to shape reality.  I'll go a bit further in saying that I feel Magic is energy and when we perform magic we're shifting our energy be it on a spell or through prayer for someone who is ill.  Tools are just that - tools, they don't perform the magic, the magic is within you. 

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 15, 2009, 09:41:32 am »

All magic is is using directly your Will to shape reality. All the tools and trappings just help you use your will. None are really necessary (although they make it easier for most people). There's no reason daydreams and the like can't be used to focus will.

As one of my teachers said to me once "a pile of dog poo can focus your energy, if that's what works for you". The tricky thing with that kind of spontaneous magickal working is to try to remember this, and direct my will consciously. When I find myself drifting into a negative or in some other way unhealthy thought pattern, and that starts to drift into envisioning a specific outcome or situation, I stop myself and pull back. You can unintentionally blast people psychically this way, or start manifesting things you don't really intend. Not that wishing and daydreaming itself makes things happen, necessarily, but it can set up a thoughtforms that can temporarily take on a life of their own.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Jenny Dare
Apprentice
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 01:38:41 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 16, 2009, 08:01:25 pm »

This is a greatly helpful clarification for me, to view magic as a focusing of the will rather than a manipulation of energies. Is anyone willing to elaborate on this concept?
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 16, 2009, 08:39:26 pm »

This is a greatly helpful clarification for me, to view magic as a focusing of the will rather than a manipulation of energies. Is anyone willing to elaborate on this concept?

well, it's not an either/or. Magic is both a focusing of will and a manipulation of energies. You can focus your will without raising energy for magical purposes, but if you are doing magic, you are by definition manipulating energy in some way.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 17, 2009, 08:30:29 am »

What Rose said -- In magic you are using your Will to manipulate reality and that involves manipulating energy. I think the more props one using in a spell, the less obvious it is what is really going on -- that fact that the magic is actually done by your Will can get hidden behind all sorts of prop usage, chanting, spell timing issues and the like. The "props" are there to help you focus and use your Will to accomplish the magic, but this can easily be buried under so much prop work that you don't think about it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 17, 2009, 11:50:42 am »

What Rose said -- In magic you are using your Will to manipulate reality and that involves manipulating energy. I think the more props one using in a spell, the less obvious it is what is really going on -- that fact that the magic is actually done by your Will can get hidden behind all sorts of prop usage, chanting, spell timing issues and the like. The "props" are there to help you focus and use your Will to accomplish the magic, but this can easily be buried under so much prop work that you don't think about it.

for me, the props work as an ego distraction. This is why working with the Hindu pantheon, and the tantric Mahavidyas in particular, works so well for me. I respond deeply, on an emotional and intellectual level, to the imagery, the music and the other sensory input in the rituals. Keeping my lower, instinctive self busy with shiny stuff and pretty sounds helps my higher, intuitive self get the work done, w/o interference.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 17, 2009, 06:01:06 pm »

for me, the props work as an ego distraction.

and for me it is quite the opposite - I find the props themselves a distraction and I get better results by NOT using them!

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 17, 2009, 07:32:35 pm »

and for me it is quite the opposite - I find the props themselves a distraction and I get better results by NOT using them!
That's what I'm finding right now, but in my case it may just be that the props feel strange to me.  I find I get the best results when I use meditation but when I use tools, I end up focusing so much on the tools themselves that I'm not as focused.

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: May 17, 2009, 10:26:31 pm »

I find I get the best results when I use meditation but when I use tools, I end up focusing so much on the tools themselves that I'm not as focused.

You've already got a working system -- your main "prop" is meditation. Smiley

Randall
Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 17, 2009, 10:29:54 pm »

As a Kitchen Witch mundane actions are very much a part to create magickal effects. A simple stirring a pot with intent, to a little more in depth and on the fly *pun intended* using the Pyramid of power (Will, Knowledge, Ability/Skill, Power and the lines drawn to connect)
My belief's seem somewhat different as far as spellwork/construction... and what is important, or so it seems.

To me *and how the pyramid of power was taught to me*...
Will is but part of. It is the belief and determination of the castor. Though if a ritual/repeated, it can be the fuel.
Knowledge is just that, without it you can get lost or overwelmed, to much Knowledge and one may find your working againt Will. To build by book knowledge is good, but trusting instincts is more important... in my book.
Skill/Ability is the castors ability to handle energy. Whether streaming, bursting, collecting or... such.
Power is the inner strength or life vitality of castor. The Fuel.*without skill/ability to control, which is like a muscle, power goes nowhere*
Without these 4, I don't see a working as a whole. Course that's just a quick run down... and keeping it simple can manifest just as powerful working as the long drawn out ones.

As far as my Tools being props... I don't see them as that. I have many tools but don't get all bogged down in useage. My tools ADD to my workings for they too have been charged with intent and energy. Even what appears to be a simple wooden spoon or kitchen knife are my tools. Though my athame and stones and such as wonderful to work with too.
I do recognize the need, Not to use tools for every little thing, as they can become a crutch. Without them one could feel unable, which is never a good thing.
Tools aren't Needed really but it's been my experience they can add quiet a punch to your workings.

Course... everyones different and I believe one must act on instinct and do what feels right for each.

Energy Follows Attention
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 17, 2009, 11:14:28 pm »

You've already got a working system -- your main "prop" is meditation. Smiley
I suppose you're right.  I always think of a "prop" as being a physical object that I can hold in my hand. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with using tools or props.  I'd actually like to teach myself to do this and become more comfortable using my tools and props - especially herbs because I feel a strong pull toward them and have used herbs medicinally for years.

My Blog
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 18, 2009, 09:37:31 am »

I suppose you're right.  I always think of a "prop" as being a physical object that I can hold in my hand. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with using tools or props.  I'd actually like to teach myself to do this and become more comfortable using my tools and props - especially herbs because I feel a strong pull toward them and have used herbs medicinally for years.

all you have to do to use them magically is charge them with your intent, either at the time of use or while your planting them, or prepping them to store. I have herbs in my garden that were planted with magickal intent, and now I just go out and get some when they are needed. This is really useful when I am, or someone in my house is sick, and I don't have time or energy for doing a lot of extra energy raising. As Cent mentioned, stirring a pot with intention is kitchen spellwork. If you already have magical ingredients  and tools on hand, then you are pretty much done raising the necessary energy. Sort of magickal home economics Cheesy

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)