The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 17, 2019, 09:05:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2019, 09:05:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Useful Bits From Other Religions  (Read 2365 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Topic Start: May 16, 2009, 12:57:51 am »

What are some of the most useful bits of information or concepts that you have picked up from other religions?  Although I don't consider myself eclectic, I sometimes borrow or use information from other faiths.  One of the most helpful concepts I have found is the Buddhist idea of a Bodhisattva.  It gives me a framework for one way of understanding great historical figures like Jesus and Ghandi. 

So what are your stray bits?  How have you incorporated them into your own worldview?

Sperran

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 16, 2009, 08:24:05 pm »

So what are your stray bits?  How have you incorporated them into your own worldview?
One thing that sticks out to me is Hinduism's idea that there are "many paths to the same summit." Hinduism embraces a variety of different ways of practicing the religion and accommodates seemingly contradictory ideas. The following is the start of an article from Ramakrishna of the same name. I am unsure what book it is from - it was copied as a class handout.

"God has made different religions to suit different aspirants, times, and countries. All doctrines are only so many paths; but a path is by no means God Himself. Indeed, one can reach God if one follows any of the paths with wholehearted devotion. One may eat a cake with icing either straight or sidewise. It will taste sweet either way. ... As one can ascend to the top of a house by means of a ladder or a bamboo or a staircase or a rope, so diverse are the ways and means to approach God, and every religion in the world shows one of these ways."

I see this kind of attitude as beneficial not only in a religious and philosophical sense, but a very practical one as well. Smiley

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 16, 2009, 09:40:07 pm »

Buddhism has a similar approach (many paths, same goal). The Buddha himself varied his teachings depending on the ability of his audience to understand them. Those who could comprehend the higher, more esoteric lessons, got them. Those who needed something simple along the lines of "recite this and offer incense" got that. His Holiness the Dalai Lama maintains that this "personalized" version of religion is one of the very reasons we have so many religions in the world today--one for each person would be ideal, he says, because we are just that different from one another. (I think this is from the book of his I seem to be referencing the most of late, Ethics for the New Millennium. It's an idea he returns to time and again, when explaining how every religion on the planet has good things about it, from which the adherents benefit.)

Sorry for the not-quite-OT post, but that struck a chord with me.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
redbaron998
Journeyman
Last Login:August 01, 2009, 12:36:11 am

Religion: Odinist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 17, 2009, 11:55:50 pm »

Great points, and exactly why I have a soft spot for those eastern religions, so much less hate than western (in my personal experience)

Personally ive seen some great things in just about ever religion, from Catholicism to Odinism there is just so much beauty if people would just calm down and enjoy their path. Live and let live and all that sort.

I remember in Catholicism I loved the rosary, something about it hit a definite nerve to me, same with the ethics of Odinism, the texts of Buddhism and the stories of Hinduism. So much great stuff is out there in my opinion.

To Teach is to Learn, to Learn is to Teach
Liulfr Einheri
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 02, 2009, 08:19:14 pm
Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

Religion: Ásatrú

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: November 22, 2009, 03:35:29 pm »

Hmmm...useful bits huh?...It sounds a little familiar with something that some major religions(note as I am not saying names, so I am not offending anyone Wink) did in the past (and still do) to impose and justify their dominion over every pagan/polytheistic ancestral religion everywhere they went. Of course, after they did this, they just annihilated everyone who didn't like it. Oh sweet History...
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #5: November 22, 2009, 06:03:07 pm »

What are some of the most useful bits of information or concepts that you have picked up from other religions? 

A good witch is eclectic. She'll steal anything that works. - Ellen Cannon Reed

I've stolen so much from so many, lol... but I'll mention Vodou here:

Once I started studying Vodou & Santeria, I started to realize a couple of major differences between the African Diaspora and more western or European Pagan systems, and I found it perfectly okay to bring those into my own beliefs, because they make more sense to me. One is that if someone hurts you, it's okay to be angry, and it's okay to fight back. There is not a lot of 'turn the other cheek'-ism or 'if it harms none' in Vodou. The lwa would think you were a big sissy if you didn't stand up for yourself. You don't have to be a bully and go around picking on other people, but say, if someone steals something that belongs to you, it's ok to bring down the wrath of the Gods on them.

Another thing is that it's ok to get paid for spiritual work, and not everyone who asks for money for doing spiritual work is a con-person. You are investing your time, experience, knowledge and sometimes physical supplies to do something for someone - and asking a fair payment for that time, knowledge & experience does not make you a bad person. You are acting just like any other professional person out there. Would you go to a lawyer & expect them to work for free, or a 'love donation'? (I'm not saying that you shouldn't be careful about who you hire - there are a lot of con-people out there, but it's just common sense and a common courtesy to pay someone for their time).

The last, and most important idea to me that I've picked up from Vodou is the concept of 'worship (or offerings) given to One is given to All'. What it means is that even though you may have your own patron deity or deities (or lwa, orisha, ancestors, etc.), whenever you show love, reverence and respect for one of them, you are giving those energies to all of them, even ones you may not even know about.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: November 22, 2009, 06:31:59 pm »

Hmmm...useful bits huh?...It sounds a little familiar with something that some major religions(note as I am not saying names, so I am not offending anyone Wink) did in the past (and still do) to impose and justify their dominion over every pagan/polytheistic ancestral religion everywhere they went. Of course, after they did this, they just annihilated everyone who didn't like it. Oh sweet History...

This has nothing to do with this thread. Drop it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Liulfr Einheri
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 02, 2009, 08:19:14 pm
Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

Religion: Ásatrú

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 22, 2009, 08:03:21 pm »

This has nothing to do with this thread. Drop it.

Oh I do not intent to sabotage the topic. I just wanted to point out that the "bits-taking" has dangerous precedents. Just to have that in consideration is good enough. I'm aware that the topic deals with philosophical concepts. I consider and take concepts from other pagan religions and think they are very valuable. Although that does not mean I'll worship the Gods of those religions. And this is Not because I have anything against them. There are VARIOUS Gods out of my pantheon that I respect more than you may think. It just because of the simple reason that they are not my Gods.

And that's about ME and just ME. I am not criticizing people who are eclectic/syncretist pagans. That's their spiritual path and I respect it as long as they respect mine.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)