The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 27, 2020, 12:49:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2020, 12:49:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Oracles in modern Hellenic Polytheism  (Read 5010 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 30, 2009, 10:56:14 am »

I have been pondering the ancient oracles all week and thought it might make a good discussion topic.

In ancient times, the oracles told the will of the gods to mortals and held an important spot in the religion.  Do you think they could or should be adapted to modern practice?  If it can't be adapted today, what would be a close equivalent?  If someone claimed to be an oracle, how would you react?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 30, 2009, 11:53:20 am »

Just a short notice. I'm testing a Greek themed oracle deck at the moment:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mythic-oracle/

Will write more later, I'm no recon though.  Cheesy

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 30, 2009, 12:09:35 pm »

Just a short notice. I'm testing a Greek themed oracle deck at the moment:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mythic-oracle/

Will write more later, I'm no recon though.  Cheesy

I probably should have said, "And I AM NOT talking about cards!" in my first post Undecided

My Spiritual Blog
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 30, 2009, 03:20:45 pm »

I probably should have said, "And I AM NOT talking about cards!" in my first post Undecided
You talked about 'modern practice', ts.  Roll Eyes

But I'm keen on hearing what other ideas will come into this tread. Smiley

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 30, 2009, 07:52:49 pm »

You talked about 'modern practice', ts.  Roll Eyes

Sorry, but the modern oracle cards have little to do with ancient oracles.  At the Oracle of Delphi, the priestess would get high off fumes coming from a crack in the earth and start spouting jibberish.  The priest then 'translated' this into an actual language for the one who asked the question.

But I'm keen on hearing what other ideas will come into this tread. Smiley

As am I.

My Spiritual Blog
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 30, 2009, 10:20:11 pm »

If it can't be adapted today, what would be a close equivalent?

If a God chooses to speak regularly through someone, I don't see why it could not be done today.

If someone claimed to be an oracle, how would you react?

Skeptically, of course. Oracles in ancient Greece were accepted because they were seen as accurate. Yes, they often spoke in "riddles" but where records exist more often than not they were generally accurate. I'd expect the same from any true oracle.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 31, 2009, 03:46:25 am »

Oracles in ancient Greece were accepted because they were seen as accurate. Yes, they often spoke in "riddles" but where records exist more often than not they were generally accurate. I'd expect the same from any true oracle.

Purely out of ignorance, did they typically understand them st the time of the oracle, or was it generally in retrospect?

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 31, 2009, 08:15:27 am »

Purely out of ignorance, did they typically understand them st the time of the oracle, or was it generally in retrospect?

The Oracle at Delphi was often understood well enough that decisions (including things like whether or not to go to war) were based on the Oracle's statements. However, I'm sure it often was in retrospect.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 31, 2009, 02:22:56 pm »

I have been pondering the ancient oracles all week and thought it might make a good discussion topic.

In ancient times, the oracles told the will of the gods to mortals and held an important spot in the religion.  Do you think they could or should be adapted to modern practice?  If it can't be adapted today, what would be a close equivalent?  If someone claimed to be an oracle, how would you react?

I would be deeply suspect of anyone who claimed to be an oracle. It's entirely true, I believe, that the Deathless Ones may choose to communicate with some mortal or other. It's equally true, however, that such power could be easily abused if others believed you had it. Even the Delphic Oracle's staff was accused of taking bribes at various times, to the best of my recollection.

Besides, Homer's Iliad, if memory serves me correctly, has at least one instance where a mortal is deceived by a dream of divine origin, in order to further a deity's own objectives. According to this Homeric view of the Immortals, your own poor life choices or even fatal mistakes (perhaps based on oracular advice) may serve the interests of a major Goddess or God.

Thanks but no thanks. More power to others, if that's their thing.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: May 31, 2009, 04:08:34 pm »

Sannion does a monthly oracle as part of his service to Dionysos.  As he's described the practice, it's part a divination system that he devised with the god's guidance and partly just ... relaying what the god says. Sometimes one takes over, sometimes the other, sometimes it's a balance of both.

I've written to him twice for an oracle, and I found them perhaps half accurate?  I'm not sure which half though. Wink

Trickster
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 12, 2009, 11:49:19 pm

Religion: Hermes Owned and Operated

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 01, 2009, 11:06:17 pm »

Sannion does a monthly oracle as part of his service to Dionysos.  As he's described the practice, it's part a divination system that he devised with the god's guidance and partly just ... relaying what the god says. Sometimes one takes over, sometimes the other, sometimes it's a balance of both.

Kate Winter also offers oracular services to the public, she is who I go to when I need something clarified or confirmed. I've found her to be accurate and helpful myself, though as usual your mileage may vary.

I take no issues with people who have some talent as a seer offering their services to others; it can be a useful skill and some are better with it than others. But that's a whole different ball game from declaring oneself "The Oracle of Whomever." That's something time and the community itself will decide.

Caeia Iulia Regillia
Apprentice
Last Login:July 08, 2010, 07:31:44 am

Religion: Religio Romana (revivalist)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 15, 2009, 05:30:45 pm »

Sorry, but the modern oracle cards have little to do with ancient oracles.  At the Oracle of Delphi, the priestess would get high off fumes coming from a crack in the earth and start spouting jibberish.  The priest then 'translated' this into an actual language for the one who asked the question.

As am I.

I think some form of scrying would be very close to what the Greek Oracles were doing.  I use a crystal ball at times.  Not much concrete yet, but I think it makes sense as being what a Greek would have done.

Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 16, 2009, 06:55:59 pm »

I don't think I would take them all that seriously, to be honest. These days, anyone can read a book and consider themselves an expert on a variety of subjects with no one to answer to in terms of training or authentication.
aingealoreiad
Apprentice
Last Login:June 30, 2010, 05:31:43 pm

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist

Not all who wander are lost.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 17, 2009, 10:53:49 am »

I'd take their claim with a grain of salt. Proclaiming yourself something usually signifies a whack-job IMHO. If someone offers oracular services to the community, provided s/he appears sincere and dedicated rather than just some person looking to make a quick buck, it doesn't really bother me. If I hear enough positive feedback from people whose opinions I respect, I may even use the oracular services. Ultimately it's up to the community to confer titles--and it's not something that should be given lightly.

There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.  ~Socrates

Walking the Path: Anamnesis

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)