The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2021, 03:56:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 03:56:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ways to get rid of negative energies without using blessings?  (Read 5293 times)
Elicia
Apprentice
Last Login:August 13, 2009, 03:35:42 pm
United States United States

Religion: non-religious

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 30, 2009, 11:19:41 pm »

Because I do not believe in deities, I do not care to bless my tools before performing magick. However, I do fear that bad energies may work their way into my spells and make the spells go wrong.

Is there any rituals or things I could do, such as burning a certain herb, that could banish negative energies, without having anything to do with blessings from deities?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 31, 2009, 12:05:21 am »

Is there any rituals or things I could do, such as burning a certain herb, that could banish negative energies, without having anything to do with blessings from deities?

A blessing doesn't have to come from a deity or outside power - everyone has the power within themselves to 'bless' as much as they do to 'curse'. Washing or cleaning up an item can cleanse it, both of dirt and debris and of remnants of energy left behind by a previous owner.

As far as herbs and substances, salt and sage have long traditions as cleaning agents - salt water baths, salt rubs and smudging with sage smoke clear energies, and sage smoke blesses as it cleans.

Elicia
Apprentice
Last Login:August 13, 2009, 03:35:42 pm

Religion: non-religious

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 31, 2009, 12:36:56 am »

As far as herbs and substances, salt and sage have long traditions as cleaning agents - salt water baths, salt rubs and smudging with sage smoke clear energies, and sage smoke blesses as it cleans.

So, by simply burning sage at my alter, I can cleanse? Should I burn it before casting a spell or while I'm casting the spell? Also, by salt rubs do you mean simply rubbing the items with salt? Is there a specific type of salt I should use?
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 31, 2009, 04:49:07 am »

So, by simply burning sage at my alter, I can cleanse? Should I burn it before casting a spell or while I'm casting the spell? Also, by salt rubs do you mean simply rubbing the items with salt? Is there a specific type of salt I should use?

Generally, you burn the sage or perform cleansing actions before performing spell or ritual work. Since you're raising energies during the spell, invocation, ritual, etc. you don't want to clear those out. (If you're doing healing work it's an exception since most healing herbs are also cleansing).

And yes, if you're using things that shouldn't be exposed to salt water (metal, leather, certain types of finished stone, that kind of thing), you can use handfuls of dry salt to rub them down. I usually use organically-prepared sea salts (when I lived in California or Washington, I would actually get some ocean water & evaporate it myself, but living in Vegas sort of prevents that), but you can use rock salt, kosher salt or table salt - any kind of salt will work.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 31, 2009, 08:07:40 am »

There are all sorts of magical ways to cleanse items of unwanted energies that do not involve deities at all. Sage has been mentioned. A thorough cleaning in salt water is another. Leaving an item out in the light of the full moon for an entire night. Etc.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Gypsywitch15
Apprentice
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 02:21:52 pm

Religion: Celtic Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 31, 2009, 02:25:01 pm »

You could pass the tools through the smoke from a burning sage stick, and visualize all the negative energy leaving with the smoke. I've hard of people leaving their tools out in the light of a full moon to purify AND charge the tool as well.

~JESUS SAVES...passes to noah...he shoots, he scores!~
macushla
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 02, 2009, 08:12:26 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 31, 2009, 03:35:50 pm »

A blessing doesn't have to come from a deity or outside power - everyone has the power within themselves to 'bless' as much as they do to 'curse'. Washing or cleaning up an item can cleanse it, both of dirt and debris and of remnants of energy left behind by a previous owner.

My slant on this is Energy is simply that, Energy.
Not good. Not bad. Simply, Energy.

What might be left on an object could reflect a balance of Energy by a previous owner that might not be interpreted as beneficial by a new owner
and so various substances used in various ways can be used to manipulate the object's Energy to be interpreted as beneficial.

Herbs and minerals are used by some folks with effectiveness whether they know exactly why or not
(in the tradition I observe I'd acknowledge a relationship between the herb/mineral/what ever and how it relates to any of 5 specific Pathways and my personal reflection of those Pathways).
Others might use all that and specific words, melodies or dances to vibrate the change
(here again, I might fiddle, sing, banjo, whistle, or drum the adjustment).

The bottom line here is, [rhetorical question] is it the object that changes or the shift of your own Energy in relationship to it?

Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 31, 2009, 04:44:03 pm »

Because I do not believe in deities, I do not care to bless my tools before performing magick. However, I do fear that bad energies may work their way into my spells and make the spells go wrong.

I don't bless, as I kneel to no diety or god/dess. but cleanse depending on what the object or area is.

I don't see energy as being bad or good. To me they are positive or negative and must have a balance like all opposites.

Where would one Banish energy too? It is still what it is just put in a different place to pollute/disrupt. That includes dumping negative down the sewer or into the earth.. ect, from objects and self. You can't distroy energy either... so why not Use it, or at least burn it off to use the energy that is now converted, and put into the spell at hand.
Many won't use Anger they have, to put into a spell but it's a strong energy and when converted can become useable.
Much like a compost heap, one can take what seems of little use or is waste and by adding *air, heat, water and some good earth* to it, convert it into something useable that is closer to being a nautral. Plant seeds and allow what is planted to grow.
Burning and composting are just a few ways to convert energy/change it for use.

Careful of salt, it can harm stones and tools as can sunlight fade. I find salt more for barriers but with a catch, it can shield so well that one can be numb or unaware of harm. "I didn't see it coming, I've surrounded the house with salt for protection".

You could pass the tools through the smoke from a burning sage stick, and visualize all the negative energy leaving with the smoke. I've hard of people leaving their tools out in the light of a full moon to purify AND charge the tool as well.

Ya I use full moon to charge depending on item. Suns good too but careful it can fade or change stones and things.
I like to air things out after it's cleansed/converted. Water can be good for some things but damage other tools.
Then allow it to ... hum at it's own energy freq before I add to it.
Most often I take dried sage and burn it to purify energy of areas or objects. Sweetgrass is good too.
Could manifest an energy sink to drawn in negative then composte/convert it when it's gathered.

Energy Follows Attention
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 05, 2009, 01:39:34 am »

Well to me at least, there is a definite difference between a blessing and a purification. With a blessing you're seeking the help of a deity or some other universal force but with a purification you're getting rid of any energies that might have collected in what ever you're purifying. I second the sage suggestion. It's a classical purifying herb with some protective qualities. I also think eucalyptus does an excellent job at purification. Burning sage is good if you don't have any fire codes but if you can't burn it I suggest just wrapping up whatever you're purifying in some leaves.

Of course the way I view herbs and salt is that they are tools. Sure they have some power within themselves but if you really want to get the job done, you're going to have to add some of your own energy to the mix.

herbalgoddess13
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 08:07:55 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: herbalgoddess13

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 05, 2009, 09:53:23 am »

I like to take my tools down to the creek by my house and hold them in the flow of the water.  The flow of water is natures energy and I always feel that if flows into my tools.  I know the creek goes to a major river that leads to one of the great lakes, so I try to visualize the energy of the creek flowing toward the river and then flowing toward the lake.  I remember the history, mysteries and stories I've learned about the lake over the years and visualize those too.  The items feel very changed in my hand after this and deity does not needs to be a part of it (though it is for me).  The full moon is also very powerful to me.  Sunday is the full moon and I have a few items that will be placed in the back yard Saturday night.

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
SheAngel19
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 17, 2009, 01:12:09 am

Religion: Pagan Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 05, 2009, 11:04:39 am »

There are a variety of ways, most mentioned, that do not include a deity. You can also use tobacco smoke, it works much much stronger than sage and protects your home a lot longer. On average it can last 3-6 months depending on how much things bother you.

Then when twilight has fallen, beckoning once more.
The horns of battle calling, summoning Dogs of War.

A leader is one who knows the way, shows the way, and goes the way.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 06, 2009, 03:19:58 pm »

Haven't done any cleansing in a long time, but when I did this is what I would do. Most often I'd leave things on the window sill to cleanse them. Usually overnight when the moon is out, or a full day or longer if I think it's necessary.

I also would channel white cleansing energy through my hands and work it over and around the object until the energy would flow "smoothly."

I never used salt; in my mind I think it would be too strong. Like, hospital sterilization strong, rather than "windex-ing the windows" strong. IMHO.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 08:07:55 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: herbalgoddess13

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 07, 2009, 12:41:18 am »

I never used salt; in my mind I think it would be too strong. Like, hospital sterilization strong, rather than "windex-ing the windows" strong. IMHO.
That's interesting what you said about salt, I always think of salt and water like soap and water.  Also, I like my tools to feel very clean so that I can charge them with my own energy and really make them mine.  My X picked up my atheme several weeks ago and used it open a box and now I can't use it.  I've taken it back to the creek, done a blessing with salt and water, left it in the full moon, you name it, and still the atheme feels dead in my hands.  I finally gave it to my son.

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 07, 2009, 11:15:30 am »

That's interesting what you said about salt, I always think of salt and water like soap and water.
Again, I've never used it, so I can't say from experience. But salt feels too... caustic for me. If I were to use water I would use plain rain water or creek/river water (which is probably even more "toxic!" lol).

Also, I like my tools to feel very clean so that I can charge them with my own energy and really make them mine.  My X picked up my atheme several weeks ago and used it open a box and now I can't use it.  I've taken it back to the creek, done a blessing with salt and water, left it in the full moon, you name it, and still the atheme feels dead in my hands.  I finally gave it to my son.
I'm not very Wiccish, so the "charging tools with my own energy" thing isn't something I do. Objects that I want to cleanse, I just want them to not feel like they have grimy energy. I don't want them to lose their identity and feel like me or force a certain energy on them, if that makes sense (I did charge a ring quite a long time ago, but I don't think the actual charge was what made it effective, but just my mental state about about it).

And if they feel that grimy to begin with, I probably wouldn't want them in the first place, so any cleansing is pretty mild. Salt feels too strong, like a total neutralizer.

Also, did your X know it was your athame when he used it to open the box? That's not very nice if he did! I'm sorry to hear it really screwed it up for you!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Caralywhynn
Apprentice
Last Login:January 06, 2010, 05:26:38 am
Germany Germany

Religion: Pagan (Wicca)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 07, 2009, 04:51:25 pm »

My slant on this is Energy is simply that, Energy.
Not good. Not bad. Simply, Energy.

What might be left on an object could reflect a balance of Energy by a previous owner that might not be interpreted as beneficial by a new owner
and so various substances used in various ways can be used to manipulate the object's Energy to be interpreted as beneficial.

(...)

The bottom line here is, [rhetorical question] is it the object that changes or the shift of your own Energy in relationship to it?

I agree!

---

Also You can ceremonial sweep your ritualplace with a simple broom.  Cheesy
You sweep all the trigger and signs for that, what you mean with >bad influence< for your work.
That can work, if you are convicted that it will work
... IMO independent of blessed or not blessed tools ...
because you cleanse the room/ your  proximity and you create an unsoiled terrain for your magical/ritual work, where no contact surface is represented for that, what  - in your oppinion - can negate/ affect negatively your work ...

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.