The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 21, 2021, 10:17:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2021, 10:17:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fiber arts magic  (Read 4571 times)
macushla
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 02, 2009, 08:12:26 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 01, 2009, 04:18:38 pm »

I've been wondering how many of us assembled here actively (versus idle speculation) use fiber arts; growing the fibers (flax, wool, ...),
processing the fibers into yarn (spinning),
giving it color (herbs, minerals, ...) if the raw material wasn't chosen specifically for its color (I'm currently spinning some lovely Jacob),
and then putting the yarn into patterns (knitting, felting, crochet, weaving, nalbinding, ...) as a conscious part of their magical workings.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 01, 2009, 08:01:37 pm »

I've been wondering how many of us assembled here actively (versus idle speculation) use fiber arts; growing the fibers (flax, wool, ...), processing the fibers into yarn (spinning), giving it color (herbs, minerals, ...) if the raw material wasn't chosen specifically for its color (I'm currently spinning some lovely Jacob),
and then putting the yarn into patterns (knitting, felting, crochet, weaving, nalbinding, ...) as a conscious part of their magical workings.

<points to self>

I do this semi-regularly.  I spin, knit, and dye things either as spells themselves, or as items to be used in spellwork, ritual work, or worship of one sort or another.  Here's a veve bag I designed for someone who works with Erzulie Freda.  I also make binding cords, tarot bags, etc.

Unrelated, but can I make a formatting note?  I think you're hitting "enter" after each line you type, and you don't need to.  The text will wrap automatically, and not cause line breaks in the middle of sentences.  Smiley

Brina
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 01, 2009, 10:28:08 pm »

I've been wondering how many of us assembled here actively (versus idle speculation) use fiber arts

I don't grow my own. (living in a city limits one's options, and living in Minnesota limits even more.) But I do spin, and I'm looking forward to learning natural dyes eventually.

Since I'm not going to raise my own sheep (or even my own angora rabbit, given the size of my tiny house and the existing presence of the cat), I do buy fiber every year from our local fiber festival, which has local and regional farmers. This year's haul includes 2 pounds of a fleece from a sheep in northern Minnesota named Opal. (It's a gorgeous silvery fleece, too. Corriedale.) that are going to be a shawl.

Most commonly, I've spun (undyed fleece from a single sheep whose identity I know) for ritual tokens - signs of commitment from me in ritual, for example, or as part of a seasonal token. I do plan to spin to knit a ritual shawl or three down the road, but the actual spinning part will take a while first.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
herbalgoddess13
Adept Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 08:07:55 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: herbalgoddess13

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 01, 2009, 10:49:44 pm »

<points to self>

I do this semi-regularly.  I spin, knit, and dye things either as spells themselves, or as items to be used in spellwork, ritual work, or worship of one sort or another.  Here's a veve bag I designed for someone who works with Erzulie Freda.  I also make binding cords, tarot bags, etc.

Unrelated, but can I make a formatting note?  I think you're hitting "enter" after each line you type, and you don't need to.  The text will wrap automatically, and not cause line breaks in the middle of sentences.  Smiley

Brina
Brina, you work is beautiful!

I don't raise my own, but I have spun, dyed and I do knit, weave, felt.  However, since my divorce there is a strange blockage and I can't seem to get back into fiber arts?  It's been over a year now and every time I try to pick it up, I just can't do it.  I'd love to knit a wool robe for rituals, maybe in the fall I can figure out the blockage?

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ~ Neil Gaiman

My Blog
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 02, 2009, 09:10:10 am »

I've been wondering how many of us assembled here actively (versus idle speculation) use fiber arts; growing the fibers (flax, wool, ...),
processing the fibers into yarn (spinning),
giving it color (herbs, minerals, ...) if the raw material wasn't chosen specifically for its color (I'm currently spinning some lovely Jacob),

Well, I don't so much magic anymore, but this year for Imbolc I began crocheting a brat. I've kind of let it fall by the wayside as other things get in the way, but I'd like to have this brat grow every year until it is a large blanket. Every year the devotion will grow larger, and hopefully, my commitment to Brighid will grow deeper.

So while not a spell per say, it is a conscious piece that has focus and intent. So, I guess it could be seen as magic.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 02, 2009, 11:43:04 am »

Well, I don't so much magic anymore, but this year for Imbolc I began crocheting a brat. I've kind of let it fall by the wayside as other things get in the way, but I'd like to have this brat grow every year until it is a large blanket. Every year the devotion will grow larger, and hopefully, my commitment to Brighid will grow deeper.

So while not a spell per say, it is a conscious piece that has focus and intent. So, I guess it could be seen as magic.

what is a brat?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 02, 2009, 12:17:40 pm »

what is a brat?

Is anyone hoping she doesn't mean one of these?  'Cause...ew.  Wink

ETA:  Um...or this?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:19:54 pm by yewberry » Logged
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 02, 2009, 01:50:28 pm »

Ergh, I hope not

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 02, 2009, 01:55:39 pm »

ROTFL.  Cheesy  Considering that I'm a vegetarian, very unlikely.

Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 02, 2009, 01:59:55 pm »

what is a brat?

A brat is the Irish word for mantle, usually used to signify a piece of cloth or clothing set out on the hearth, or more traditionally out of the window, on Imbolc in order for Brighid to bless. During the year this brat may be used for healing and protection. As time goes on, and the same piece of cloth is left out each year, its powers increase.

http://www.ladiesaoh.com/sys-tmpl/stbrigidsmantle/

macushla
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 02, 2009, 02:24:56 pm »

A brat is the Irish word for mantle, usually used to signify a piece of cloth or clothing set out on the hearth, or more traditionally out of the window, on Imbolc in order for Brighid to bless. During the year this brat may be used for healing and protection. As time goes on, and the same piece of cloth is left out each year, its powers increase.

Fascinating!
Any idea what fiber or fibers was/were normally used to make the Brat?

I've been pondering the benefits of locally grown wool but recently I've been "walking through ghosts" over needing to eventually grow and work with flax.

~~~~~
Anyone here have a thundery storm with crashing lightning designated drop spindle or knitting (or knotting) project?
I feel like such a fool not to have started one myself. Its been striking me more and more like I've been wasting Energy by not collecting it when its available.

(note to yewberry: not a clue if its physically inspired by my cataracts, its a deeper what gets called a "learning disability" these days, or just a mannerism of speech that I'm trying to convey visually (sometimes how a thing is said gives more meaning than the words used? if that means any sense to anyone else here)
but if I don't sometimes space things out visually here I have difficulty understanding what I've written.

I hope you can see to humor me on this idiosyncrasy of mine. I've been trying to tone it down on this list but...
but if it continues to bother you (or any of the rest of y'all) feel free to PM me about it and I'll try to be more accommodating.) OK?
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 02, 2009, 03:32:45 pm »

Fascinating!
Any idea what fiber or fibers was/were normally used to make the Brat?

Not sure about historical uses, but I expect wool, seeing as sheep were probably the main source of fiber in Ireland. I'm using wool (alpaca), in any case, but that's just cause I like it.  Grin

macushla
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 02, 2009, 04:44:42 pm »

I'm using wool (alpaca), in any case, but that's just cause I like it.  Grin

Isn't that originally South American?
but then if its raised locally ...

Not too long ago I tried to get some local and younger Pagans who'd been trying to talk me into being more Pagan community social to take a hat felting class with me taught by and at an alpaca farm about an hour's drive from where I live (though closer to them).
Funny, they didn't seem to see the Pagan value of it. Perhaps they thought the activity sounded too "Red Hat Society" for them.
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 02, 2009, 05:06:09 pm »

Isn't that originally South American?
but then if its raised locally ...

Not too long ago I tried to get some local and younger Pagans who'd been trying to talk me into being more Pagan community social to take a hat felting class with me taught by and at an alpaca farm about an hour's drive from where I live (though closer to them).
Funny, they didn't seem to see the Pagan value of it. Perhaps they thought the activity sounded too "Red Hat Society" for them.

That sounds like fun to me!

My mistake: it's just Peruvian Highland wool--not the same as alpaca. Though they have alpaca available as well as silk blends and even self-dying yarn.

I love this site.  Smiley

macushla
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 02, 2009, 06:12:46 pm »

I love this site.  Smiley

Yeah. I'm presently waiting on delivery of a swift and ball winder from them. Such a deal!
I tell my husband its more fun if one has all the toys.

Now I'm wondering if the ball winder only goes in one direction, and if so which.
That can be important can't it  Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)