The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 02, 2020, 11:24:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 11:24:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do at your circle/coven?  (Read 12424 times)
Ogre
Senior Newbie
Last Login:January 15, 2010, 05:57:23 pm
United States United States

Religion: Notforyou

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 06, 2009, 10:44:32 pm »

I'm Wiccan. I don't do christian churches.

Thats fair.  Do you have experience with any of them?  Lesson #2 is "learn to separate the s*** from the sugar.  weg

Your fiend,
Ogre

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #16: July 07, 2009, 07:39:54 am »

Yup!  And I am sure that some that take on the cowl do so in a true spirit of service.  Yet, if you analyze the monastic lifestyle by comparing it to the training of a sorcerer (or witch) you may notice that the training techniques and the end result is much the same.  That is... hightened perception ie. an "awareness"   

Three problems with this one.

1.  As far as I'm aware, there is no standard course of training for a witch (or a sorcerer--not entirely sure what you mean here, though, as I've not generally run into that word outside of fantasy novels).  I therefore doubt the validity of any comparison of anything else to such training...  It's not even apples to oranges, it's more like carrots to fruit.  (Possibly vegetables to fruit; I understand that there's some variation in the training of priests from one denomination to another as well, although I'm not clear on how much variation that might be.)

2.  I don't think "the monastic lifestyle" has much bearing on the current discussion, given that most Christian ministers are not actually monks.

3.  Even if there is a comparison to be made here, I'm not sure what your point is.  One point of similarity between two groups of people does not indicate a general similarity.  Supposing that both groups do have this heightened awareness, and that it is relevant to the discussion at hand, that still doesn't mean anything.  Not everyone who knows how to use a hammer is going to build a house.  Or even a spice rack.

You grew up in Rhode Island?  And where was the Priest? 

I grew up in southern Indiana.  (Sorry, I'm missing the significance of Rhode Island here...)  The pastor was wherever the liturgy required him to be, which at various points in the service might be at the altar, in the pulpit (at the "front" of the sanctuary, that is, opposite the entrance), by the baptismal font (near the entrance to the sanctuary), sitting in one of the front rows as someone else did readings/prayers, etc.  He wasn't rooted to one spot through the whole service.

That was sort of my point.  If thats all you want... a fill up till next week... Its easy enough to get. 

How does attending a service in order to suck up the energy generated by it without contributing to the worship being performed or giving back in any way to the community you're taking power from differ from the power-stealing you're objecting to?

As far as "stealing power" goes, I've only encountered it personally with a "pastor" once.  At least as an obvious attempt, with a very surprised reaction when he realized he had tried this with the wrong person.  OTOH he officated at a ritual the next day where I have never before in my life "seen" that much power in one place.  Go figure...

I find it a little odd, then, that you felt the need to warn about it on a general level.  To me, that implied that it was something that you were alleging most Christian ministers did, not just something you'd encountered in one isolated incident.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)