The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2021, 02:56:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2021, 02:56:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Am I ready?!  (Read 3082 times)
brandonb70
Master Member
Last Login:May 26, 2011, 12:18:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: Ásatrú/Heathen
TCN ID: Brandon

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

brandon_bourg brandon.bourg brandonb70

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 25, 2009, 05:53:26 pm »

I have been Studying Asatru for awhile now and I have been studying the Runes and their meanings. I want to perform a small spell. My girlfriend is still sick and I want to see if maybe I can help her by magic. Of course she has been taking pills and has seen the doctor. She will get better but I want to see if I can help speed up the process. I have a spell mapped out and ready but I also do not want it to backfire. Is there anything I can do to help against this? Thanks.

I know that I hung on a windy tree
nine long nights,
wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,
myself to myself,
on that tree of which no man knows
from where its roots run. - Hávamál

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 25, 2009, 05:56:04 pm »

She will get better but I want to see if I can help speed up the process. I have a spell mapped out and ready but I also do not want it to backfire. Is there anything I can do to help against this? Thanks.

IMHO, you would really have to work at it to get a healing spell to backfire. To be honest, the "dangers" of casting simple positive spells that some people go on and on about are vastly overblown, IMHO.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
brandonb70
Master Member

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 25, 2009, 06:55:10 pm »

to get a healing spe

Well thats good to know. I saw someone using paper Runes to do a spell. Does the material really matter? Most people say using wood is the best and carving the rune in that and burning or burying it. I think I am going to do this while I am camping this weekend and start with a Blot.

nine long nights,
myself to myself,
Asetam
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 02, 2010, 12:56:41 am

Religion: Ecclectic....for lack of a better way of putting it

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 25, 2009, 09:19:46 pm »

Well thats good to know. I saw someone using paper Runes to do a spell. Does the material really matter? Most people say using wood is the best and carving the rune in that and burning or burying it. I think I am going to do this while I am camping this weekend and start with a Blot.

In my opinion, and with all I've experienced, tis more the control and comfort with the energy used than the actual tools used.  Though thee are some things you just can't bring yourself to take for granted at times.

As with your original question...I agree with Randall, I have found it very hard to backfire a positive healing spell.  The key I found is the dedication you put into the energies.  A spell done nonchalantly is so less likely to have visible results.
brandonb70
Master Member

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 26, 2009, 10:55:00 am »

The key I found is the dedication you put into the energies.  A spell done nonchalantly is so less likely to have visible results.

I agree, you have to have faith that it will work and really focus on what you are doing, and put all your energy into the spell.

nine long nights,
myself to myself,
Gypsywitch15
Apprentice
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 02:21:52 pm

Religion: Celtic Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 26, 2009, 01:59:51 pm »

I have been Studying Asatru for awhile now and I have been studying the Runes and their meanings. I want to perform a small spell. My girlfriend is still sick and I want to see if maybe I can help her by magic. Of course she has been taking pills and has seen the doctor. She will get better but I want to see if I can help speed up the process. I have a spell mapped out and ready but I also do not want it to backfire. Is there anything I can do to help against this? Thanks.

I am not of the school of thought that you have to study tables of correspondances, magick, and occult items for years before attmepting a spell. I've been doing spells since I first came to witchcraft over a decade ago, and yea, I've had some backfire...but that is to be expected. You LEARN from it. PRactice makes perfct. I say go for it. Do as you will kind of thing.

~JESUS SAVES...passes to noah...he shoots, he scores!~
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 26, 2009, 09:20:46 pm »

Coming from a Reiki perspective, there are few times when healing energy actually makes the problem worse.  For example, if someone broke their leg and you give them Reiki before they have a cast set, it can set the bones wrong.  I've also heard that Reiki for headaches makes it feel worse, but gets it over with faster.  Those are just a couple common sense things to keep in mind.

I don't know much about runes, but will you be doing something like ritual dance or chanting to raise personal energy to send?  Will you be using some other kind of energy?  Will you be asking the assistance of a deity?  These are also things to think about.

brandonb70
Master Member

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 29, 2009, 11:07:14 am »

Coming from a Reiki perspective, there are few times when healing energy actually makes the problem worse.  For example, if someone broke their leg and you give them Reiki before they have a cast set, it can set the bones wrong.  I've also heard that Reiki for headaches makes it feel worse, but gets it over with faster.  Those are just a couple common sense things to keep in mind.

I don't know much about runes, but will you be doing something like ritual dance or chanting to raise personal energy to send?  Will you be using some other kind of energy?  Will you be asking the assistance of a deity?  These are also things to think about.

I will be using the Urus rune which is healing and then will attach a photo of the intended target to the back of the rune. I will then burn the rune and photo and start a meditating and focusing all my energy on healing and the intended target. Once the rune has burned and the ritual is complete I am going to perform a Blot to the gods and ask for their assistance.

nine long nights,
myself to myself,
Sitara Haye
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 30, 2009, 04:10:57 pm

Religion: Wiccan - Pagan - Occultist

http://www.sitarahaye.com

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 29, 2009, 04:59:53 pm »

I will be using the Urus rune which is healing and then will attach a photo of the intended target to the back of the rune. I will then burn the rune and photo and start a meditating and focusing all my energy on healing and the intended target. Once the rune has burned and the ritual is complete I am going to perform a Blot to the gods and ask for their assistance.

Healing rituals are difficult to "mess up" especially if you have a good link with the person you want to help heal.  You actually have a greater risk of potentially taking on some of their illness by not shielding yourself well enough (if you are working on their energy yourself).

I will give this one word of caution about the Runes.  Be sure you know what you are doing before involving a Rune in a spell.  Runes are very old, with their power and layers of meaning and interaction built up over centuries.  It's one thing to do a spell with just YOUR focus going into the working.  It's another thing entirely to add a symbol to that working unless you are very sure of its meaning.  Each symbol carries its own empowerment completely aside from what you might intend (for example, utilizing Thurisaz or Hagalaz without extreme care could cause immense damage, even if the spellcaster was "weak"... I've seen it happen and have screwed up and had it happen to me when I was training in the Runes).  The Runes aren't like a symbol you design yourself and use.  Something you design yourself has YOUR specific programming imprinted on its astral form.  The Runes have had hundreds and thousands of imprints and usages and are a thought-form and energy all their own. 

That said, remember that the Craft -- whether Pagan, Wiccan, Asatru, or any other -- was originally a large part experimental.  You will not grow in power and ability if you do not DARE.  If you feel ready, then you are ready.  Just be sure that you are equally ready to learn and correct as you are ready to try and all will go well.

I wish you all success!  There is no nobler spell than one done for the benefit and love of another. 

Blessings, in Frith,

~Sitara

Sitara Haye is a Craft author and High Priestess with over 20 years Craft experience and training.  To learn more, please visit and subscribe to her website:   *Link Removed*  .
brandonb70
Master Member

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 30, 2009, 12:39:20 pm »

Healing rituals are difficult to "mess up" especially if you have a good link with the person you want to help heal.  You actually have a greater risk of potentially taking on some of their illness by not shielding yourself well enough (if you are working on their energy yourself).

I will give this one word of caution about the Runes.  Be sure you know what you are doing before involving a Rune in a spell.  Runes are very old, with their power and layers of meaning and interaction built up over centuries.  It's one thing to do a spell with just YOUR focus going into the working.  It's another thing entirely to add a symbol to that working unless you are very sure of its meaning.  Each symbol carries its own empowerment completely aside from what you might intend (for example, utilizing Thurisaz or Hagalaz without extreme care could cause immense damage, even if the spellcaster was "weak"... I've seen it happen and have screwed up and had it happen to me when I was training in the Runes).  The Runes aren't like a symbol you design yourself and use.  Something you design yourself has YOUR specific programming imprinted on its astral form.  The Runes have had hundreds and thousands of imprints and usages and are a thought-form and energy all their own. 

That said, remember that the Craft -- whether Pagan, Wiccan, Asatru, or any other -- was originally a large part experimental.  You will not grow in power and ability if you do not DARE.  If you feel ready, then you are ready.  Just be sure that you are equally ready to learn and correct as you are ready to try and all will go well.

I wish you all success!  There is no nobler spell than one done for the benefit and love of another. 

Blessings, in Frith,

~Sitara

That makes sense is there any websites u can recommend that would maybe have some ritual outlines?

nine long nights,
myself to myself,
Sitara Haye
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 30, 2009, 04:10:57 pm

Religion: Wiccan - Pagan - Occultist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 30, 2009, 03:26:39 pm »

That makes sense is there any websites u can recommend that would maybe have some ritual outlines?

It really depends on what kind of ritual format feels best to you.  If you are Wiccan/pagan, I would at least be certain of creating sacred space somehow (this will include, cleansing the area and yourself, formulating an energetic shield, calling in the aid of Deities and/or elemental energies to assist you).  There are many many ways to do this.  This information you can find by searching for "How To Cast A Circle" or something along those lines.  If you are preferring a more Norse/Germanic authentic rite, you would NOT cast circle, but rather begin by hallowing space with the Hammer Rite or some other ritual.  If you are specifically using the Runes and wanting to work with them in THEIR own cultural base, I would avoid using the mainstream Wiccan format for your ritual and use the Hammer Rite or some other hallowing method specifically Asatruar or Heathen in root.  As the Runes are culturally Norse/Germanic, you will find that they come 'more alive' when preserved within their cultural framework.  Also be sure you do NOT (if you are doing a culturally authentic rite) invoke deities from other pantheons... that would be kinda like buying a bird cage and asking a dog to inhabit it for a while.  If you choose to go authentic, then remain in the cultural framework.

I am unsure what your loved one's illness happens to be, but remember that healing can be effective energetically in basically two ways:  either you are working with the illness to draw it out or transform it, or you are working with the health of the human body to increase its own potency and overcome the illness. 

Contrary to some popular belief, you can perform a healing spell on either side of the full moon... you just have to change your focus.  As we are in the waxing moon, if you do the spell on this side of the Full Moon, you should probably focus on increasing the physical health/strength/disease fighting abilities in your loved one.  If you choose to go this route, DO NOT FOCUS ON THE ILLNESS AT ALL.  Focusing "growth" energy towards an area where illness resides allows for the possibility of growth of the illness if you are not highly focused on keeping the two separate.  Once the moon passes full and goes to waning, you can begin to work on dissolving, vanishing, and removing the illness itself -- again, focus on the ILLNESS only then, and not on the removing of the health of the person. 

One particularly powerful way to work a healing spell is to do so over 3-5 days around the time of the New Moon.  You would design a spell that is to be performed over, say, 5 days.  For example, a candle spell... a black candle for the two days before New Moon, a white candle for the moment of transformation on the day of the New Moon, and then a green or red candle (whichever color represents 'health or vigor' to you) in the two days after the New Moon.  You would anoint all the candles to the purpose of healing.  You might carve the black ones with symbols representing the illness or the symbol of a deity that heals by consuming illness.  You would carve the white candle with a symbol representing purity and transformation, for the moment when the illness is removed and there is only cleanliness left.  Then you might carve the red/green colored candles with sigils representing renewed strength, growing health, greater energy.  In order to add more sympathetic ties into it, you would burn the black candles at twilight (waning energy to "wane" the illness), the white candle you would like as close to the actual time of the New Moon as possible, and then light the colored candles at dawn (waxing energy to help their health "wax" strong).

Remember that the accoutrement of spellwork are mainly focusing tools for your will.  The stronger your will, the less you need, although we ARE human creatures that enjoy nice smells and the ambiance of ritual.  Naturally, a spell performed over multiple days will raise more power because you are putting more will towards it over a longer period of time.  However, a spell done on a single night could be just as effective -- the results are really up to you.

One last thing... be sure that your magick is mundanely supported through good action.  If your loved one has pneumonia, spell work is a great way to help out the healing, but do the mundane thing and get to the doctor, too.  :-)

Google-able words that might help you:  How To Do Ritual, Hammer Rite, Casting Circle, Norse Gods Healing, Runes For Healing, Healing During Moon Phases.

I particularly like Edred Thorsson's and Freyja Aswynn's works on the Runes.  As you get in deeper, be sure you read the Poetic Edda and Prose Edda and other traditional works from the culture that birthed the Runes.  They are invaluable!

Blessings and may your spell work true!

Sitara

Sitara Haye is a Craft author and High Priestess with over 20 years Craft experience and training.  To learn more, please visit and subscribe to her website:   *Link Removed*  .
brandonb70
Master Member

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 30, 2009, 06:23:13 pm »

I am going to try and keep as "Norse/Germanic" as possible. Thank you for your help Sitara you seem very well versed in Magick. Does the moonphase matter in Rune Magic? I have a strong will but I don't feel prepared as I thought I was anymore so I am going to go back and plan a new ritual. I know if you have doubts or do not feel confident the spell either will not be as effective or will out right backfire I would hate to make her sicker than she already is. She has been to the doctor but its one of those sicknesses that sometimes just take awhile to wear off.  Again thank you for your help and support.

May the Gods Bless You

nine long nights,
myself to myself,

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)